SureFire in Nepal (Kathmandu)?

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Shortly I will be traveling to Kathmandu, I just thought if anyone knows a place where I can buy SF lights there. Especially looking for the 6PL.

:thumbsup:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would doubt it.
Buy one and take it with you.
Considder the G2 L Better battery life and ne need for carying replacment globes which cost $20.00 US. The G2 or 6P with a led replacment like the malkoff drop in would also do great out in the wild. Oh and take plenty of batterys with you.
Yaesumofo

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
The price in Sweden for a 6PL is devestating 183 USD. If I had planned this better I would of course have bought it from the states, now in the last minute I changed my mind from bringing my Novatac 120T... to the regained urge for a SureFire. Back to basics I thought with the classic 6P.. but with LED. When I was in Lhasa I noticed some SF lights but without a thorough examination I cant be sure if its original parts or not, and since many dealers sells copys of just about anything.. I wont take my chances if I dont get a tip in Khatmandu about someone reliable. As it seems now it will be the mega expensive swedish alternative, but in that case I can at least be sure to get the real thing. Broke but secure I suppose. :broke:

Anyway, thanks for your input. I will also take a look at the G2L.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all honesty, I think that a single-cell light (eg. Novatac) is better for travelling.

It's lighter, smaller and you'll probably have to take fewer cells. All of which are advantages (to my mind anyway) when you're travelling.

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps you are right, and the 6PL is kindy pricey when buying in Sweden. I think I`ll go with the Novatac and buy one 6PL when I am back for my next trip. ;)

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long will you be in Kathmandu?

If you're going to buy anything there, get one of their wonderful hand-forged kukri knives! I have a friend from Nepal and he brought one back for me recently. Talk about a fistful of steel, and surprisingly ergonomic!

I once asked my Nepali friend about flashlights in Nepal, he didn't seem to think anyone there owned any.

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
scott.cr: Well just a couple of days, a week in Nepal all in all, I will also visit the Chitwan nationalpark and then go to Kolkata (Calcutta). Of course I will buy some khukuris, I have made a special order for two from KhukuriHouse and one from Himalayan Imports. I am very much looking forward to these khukuris, the only thing restricting me from buying more of them is the weight limitation on flights, considering the lenght of the blade etc I calculated that my three khukuris will weigh just about 4.5-5kg. So I cant really buy much more if I also want to buy something besides just khukuris. :thumbsup: I visited Bhaktapur in September -07 and every evening there was a shortage of power, so everything went black. Still a lot of people were out on the streets, most of them had no flashlight at all, and some had keyring-style lights. But as you say, perhaps not that common. I suppose thats kind of a luxury for the folks there?

cat: Thanks for the link, I`ll have a look at them when I come home again. The problem now was that no US dealer can get a flashlight to me in such a short notice, it takes about one week or more sending items from the states. But thanks anyway. :) I come to think of a new SF far to late... next trip I will plan more carefully.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always post items you buy back to yourself :)

Good luck with your trip... and post some pictures for us when you get back!

cat

Enlightened
I will also visit the Chitwan nationalpark

oooohh :)

I visited Bhaktapur in September -07

ah, you are addicted. :) You went in September and you're going back already. :thumbsup:

You know what? Don't worry about planning too much. Just that you will go to this place, that place, some planning /arrangement needed to get train tickets or flights. Just be there. :)

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Grox: As a matter of fact, I will have four additional khukuris sent to me from Nepal. Dont know if I will be sending something else, the Nepalesee postal servise sounded kindy tricky. And DHL etc would cost a lot, and then of course I have to pay about 25% on the total amount on everything I send to Sweden, swedish taxes and customs you know. Thanks, I`ll post some pictures when I am back.

cat: Yes a bit addicted, well the thing is that last time I just passed through really. I came from Tibet and just stayed 2 days in Nepal. So this time I will have more time to actually se a bit of the country.