Surefire rugged ? Lamp on G2 dies on first outing.

Grog

Enlightened
So much for the rugged Surefire. After giving advise on a small light for backup on duty it failed on it's first outing.

While tumbling with a "customer" the lamp went to LA hell.

Thanks Surefire for a quality piece of gear.

Winter1

Newly Enlightened
I had a friend one time who was going to show me his new pistol that he was using for a backup weapon. When he tried to fire it, alas, it would not function.

One might want to try out their equipment prior to putting their life on the line with it.

I have made the same kind of mistakes when I was young. Fortunetly, I survived.

I'm confident the SureFire people will stand behind their products. Let them know about the problem, and give them a chance to make the adjustment.

Jim

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
anything can fail. what do you expect from a $30 light? for something that will hold up to rolling around on the ground, you need a shock isolated bezel.

you can bet one in black from lps for $16, assuming your G2 is black it will match the body.

the exspensive route would be to buy an M2 which will also include rubber grommets for a combat grip to use with your pistola.

K-T

*Moderator*
Of course SF customer serivce will take care of the blown bulb - nevertheless it is bad to happen in such a situation.
For someone whose life depends on lights I can only suggest and emphasize to carry a backup light. Eventhough SF does produce some of the toughtest lights around (and the P60 and P61 being one of the toughest LA's) they can fail in any situation - the only solution is to carry a backup!

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A luxeon backup won't fail likely?

A g2z will have your pistola grips too.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Re: Surefire rugged ? Lamp on G2 dies on first out

Bushman:
Another parallel to pistols is to always have your backup with you, and carry the Big One in addition. A E1/KL1 is with me at all times, usually additionally backed up by a smaller white light and a smaller blue-green light.

While I agree that SF has a reputation for ruggedness that didn't seem to hold up here, there is no way to garuntee that any single sample will never fail. Best way to ensure that is to follow the old rule:
"Two is one and one is none." Redundancy, redundancy, extra stuff and backups.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

I carried my SF 8NX on duty for over a 2 years. It has never failed . I have not given into a "tussle" with it but I have dropped it a lot. The X80 lamp is still going strong.
I do carry a spare in my bag with me.
Also my "backup" supplement light has been a G2, it too has been dropped a few times and the lamp is still fine. I carry a P60 and batteries in a spares carrier and a P61 in a second one.I alo carry the Hurrican light with spare batteries. My Light "Blaster" is/was the Streamlight Ultrastinger and I carry a spare bulb for it in my bag also. I have beem known to loan a light to another Officer if they needed one.

Lately I have been using my Wolf-Eyes M90 as my all around light on duty, I am looking for an effective way to carry a spare protected from damage. Since I can't find an effective lamp carrier for it I still carry the 8NX in my bag (charged twice weekly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif)

Size15's

Flashaholic

If lamps are "going to blow", they will blow during the first couple of battery sets. It is reasonable to test the performance of a tool you need to depend on before you need to depend on it.

Al

Wolfram

Newly Enlightened

I am happy with my "unproven" pelican m6 daily without failure; not to mention inexpensive replacement lamps!!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

grog: the very first surefire i got, a 6P original came with a faulty lamp which stopped working before i had even run down the first set of batteries. contact surefire customer service, and they will send you a replacement free of charge. the P60 in my C2 survived a 1 hour tumble in the washing machine and numerous drops, and it still works. since the G2 should be even more shock-resistant than a C2's metal body, i would say yours is definitely a default. good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

Happy unless it fails when you need it.

People are more likely to post about failures because not failing isn't news.

One may also say that it is expected that a cheaper flashlight will fail so these is less need to report it.

What I'm saying is that reality is distorted and miss-represented because we have to be selective about what we post. It would be a very complicated board if every flashlight user posted each time a flashlight was used so that a real picture of performance can be drawn.

Al

Grog

Enlightened

"What I'm saying is that reality is distorted and miss-represented because we have to be selective about what we post. It would be a very complicated board if every flashlight user posted each time a flashlight was used so that a real picture of performance can be drawn."

So people should only say how great Surefires are?

To the people who think he was so dumb to not have a backup, he did. A Stinger backing up his SL-20x. The G2 was in test mode. I will add it was not on, and did not hit the ground. The "customer" broke the fall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Grog,

I think you got a bad lamp assembly. Put a new one in and try it again. If it breaks again you may be on to something.

In this open forum setting, I think all news should be posted. Good and Bad. It's just that the good news is so boring and the bad news is spicy.

I will continue to make my decisions based on the best information I have at hand. I now understand that SureFire products are not "perfect," but I must admit that perfection is not one of my criteria for consideration.

I have a G2 and have had no problems with it. I also have extra batteries for it as well as an extra lamp assembly.

Tom

Grog

Enlightened

I forgot to add it is the lamp for sure. I bought two at the same time and gave on to my friend to try. After changing things one by one it was the LA. Mine is working so far but I know not to depend on it.

"anything can fail. what do you expect from a $30 light?" In Janurary this was a $45-50 light. Quality should not be according to price. Surefire lowered the price to pull people in, two people won't try again.

Skyline

Enlightened

Grog,

It is certainly your prerogative to choose not to "buy Surefire" from your experience of one LA failure. It's a shame though, because Surefire really does make the highest quality lights, IMHO.

I've actually experienced back-to-back LA failures in my 10X -- the main 450+ lumens LA. Was I miffed? Sure. SFCS took care of me, and I've never had any other problems with the 10X. I've also never experienced any failures of any kind with my E1, KL1, 6P, M2, M3, M6, and G2Z. Are they invincible? No way. Can I depend on them? Absolutely.

I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying your Surefire. I sure am enjoying mine.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lamps are very fragile no matter how much they cost or who makes them. We use $400 to $3000 lamps in video projectors everyday and I have had countless lamps blow with less than 20 hours on them, these lamps are all rated at 500 to 2000 hours. To say that b/c a lamp died prematurely that the product is no good, well that just doesn't make sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Grog said:
Quality should not be according to price.

[/ QUOTE ]

good luck with that.

as far as surefire, they make the best tactical/leo lights period. they have no competetion, except for strategos which is not online yet. fragile lamps get through from time to time, you carry a backup for that reason. sf will send you a new one, still fail to see the problem.

Tombeis

Enlightened

Cops always have trouble with equipment.

Did you see how may cruisers they wrecked in that Blues Brothers movie? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't believe rolling around on the ground had anything to do with it. You just got a defective lamp. E-mail , or call surefire.

Remember the same lamp (P60) fits other Surefire flashlights including the M2 with isolated bezel. You could have a defective lamp in any flashlight, Surefire or other brand .

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i agree with tombeis; it definitely is a defective lamp. i've seen my P60 survive more abuse but my first 6P did come with a P60 that stopped working after i left it on the table for a night.