Okay... so thats why Surefires are so very expensive.

Jasmes

Enlightened
I bought the Z59 clicky for my C2 and loved it, but then it stopped clicking. It would just bind up at the point where it should click. There may have been a slight 20 foot fall onto a hardwood stage in the light's history, but it didn't stop working for a few weeks after that. I was very irritated that a 40 dollar item would just stop functioning. I had been putting off calling up customer service, expecting to have to fight my way to a replacement. I finally got around to it today.

I told him what was wrong. He got my account info from my name, no order number or receipt or anything required on my behalf, confirmed my address, and there is currently a new Z59 en route to me. Took five minutes. Didn't even ask me to send back the old one. 40 dollar item. Replaced no questions asked in 5 minutes.

I am blown away. If you need a light that is going to take a beating at work, customer care like this alone is worth every penny.

As a side note, I had the FM35 filter on the light, but flipped open when I dropped it 20 feet. When I first got the FM I was a little disappointed, as it felt kind of flimsy and breakable. (BTW, I don't usually take my light up with me, general protocol is to empty your pockets/person since falling stuff is very dangerous, but we were in such a rush to switch mics between rehearsal blocks we were literally running the ladder around stage and I was sprinting up, and thus forgot.) The side of the bezel with the filter lens smacked into a step on the way down, and then it landed square on the bezel on the stage. The FM35 didn't show a single nick, dent, or crack. I stand corrected about the build quality on those things. :whistle:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple drops of oil into the holes on the inside of the tailcap will cure your clickie problems. It's been discussed in a few threads before. My L4 started to get a sticky clicky, and a few drops of oil and a handful of on-off click cycles and it was good as new.

Surefire lights are great lights, and although I haven't had the need for it, their customer service is supposed to be second to none. Nice to know though.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep! The best light, backed by the best warranty, implemented by the best customer service. I have had a tail clicky or two replaced with no questions asked. Heck, I even had a V82 holster that had the stitching on one side come undone, and they replaced that without a moments hesitation. When I got my E1L, it had a terrible green tint, and they replaced the head. When you ask yourself how much a light, or any product for that matter, is worth, there are several things to consider. The two things I consider to be the most important, or if you will....The bottom line, is the warranty, and the customer service. Surefire provides a lifetime no questions asked warranty with the best World Class Customer Service you can find. Just those two things alone IMHO, make the Surefire product priceless.

Last edited:

LK5GB7

Newly Enlightened
yes its true even the best companies can screw up. but to surefires credit it's not a terribly big problem.

i had a few hiccups with my L6 when i first got it. switch got sticky, light flickered when the tail cap was screwed in tight. but you do get the best support

they do not care how the light breaks, or what kind of abuse you subjected it to. all they are concerned with is their name and the quality. no bs, hassle free.

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
A couple drops of oil into the holes on the inside of the tailcap will cure your clickie problems. It's been discussed in a few threads before. My L4 started to get a sticky clicky, and a few drops of oil and a handful of on-off click cycles and it was good as new.

Surefire lights are great lights, and although I haven't had the need for it, their customer service is supposed to be second to none. Nice to know though.

I thought about doing that on my U2 that is sticking. It won't cause any problems with the electronics shorting out or anything will it?

LK5GB7

Newly Enlightened
you just need to use the right lubrication in the right area.

do not use anything petroleum based, or any white lithium grease or any special automotive stuff. that kinda stuff will cause the plastic and o rings to expand. even if you only use it on the threads, eventually it will seep into everything.

use nyogel, or other silicone based lubricants specifically designed to be used around electronics.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased an A2. First thing I do is take off the bezel to check out the lights interior. I notice the end plate of the lamp is loose and I try to push it back into place. It falls off. Now I'm a little annoyed at this. OK I'm pissed. A brand new light and the lamp is dead. I call Surefire today and explain what happened and they are sending me a new lamp!

I did manage to find the electical lead that connects to the base plate and I superglued the lamp back together and now it works. Half the plastic injected into the base of the glass envelope came out though.

The MA02 lamps I ordered and the replacement LA are backordered. Heavy sigh...

hopkins

Enlightened
These days quality control is so important in gaining market share.
Our company made a network appliance and we'd pull every 10th
one made- random rotating serial numbers- and do a complete
QA on them. It paid off by catching mfg errors.

SureFire also does some QA checks but have they given up on shipping
a 'zero failure' product for maximizing short term profits?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long as this issue been around now? You'd think SF have figured out add a couple drops of silicone oil to tailcap would make a whole lot more happy customer, and less return.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long as this issue been around now? You'd think SF have figured out add a couple drops of silicone oil to tailcap would make a whole lot more happy customer, and less return.

I hear that they've redesigned the tail clicky to reduce failures... time will see if this is effective or not.

Re: home repairs, I wouldn't recommend nyogel because it's too thick to work into the switch. Silicon spray worked for well, and I imagine something like militec would too.

For absolutely mission critical illumination I would always use a twisty.

Latest posts