Finally bought a Surge...WOW!!!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a CPFer for about 3 months now, and found this "bizarre" fascination with flashlights about 6 months before that. After hearing all the hoopla about the PT Surge, I finally broke down and bought one from TTS (GREAT service, BTW...). I think it was the size that kept me from buying one up til now...I prefer the smaller lights. When I got it in the mail today and fired it up, I understood the hoopla! This thing ROCKS!!! Even my wife, who stand-offishly watches my fascination for flashlights from a safe distance, and occasionally says, "Uh-huh, that's nice, baby
rolleyes.gif
...", said "WOW!" when I fired up the Surge. It's definitely too big to be an EDC, but it's perfect for turning the non-believers into believers! I'm tickled to death with this thing
grin.gif
...It's without a doubt a lot of bang for the buck. Just thought I'd share my elation with my fellow CPFer's...

PJD

...there is nothing in the world more frustrating than a lousy beam...

WarrenI

Newly Enlightened
Hey PJD; Join the club! That's what I said when I got my yellow body Surge about two months ago. The beam distortion quality is pretty good, it is a little wide on the beam (which is perfect for me), it is really bright, and best of all, it is under $25. The light is better than all Mags at a price that if it gets lost or destroyed on one of my camping trips, I would not have to cry about...

I set my beam to it's widest setting that will keep the center spot bright and even (too wide will create a slightly dim center spot). I love these forums as it is nice to know that there is life above and beyond Mags...

Bad Influence

Newly Enlightened
I got my Surge 2 days ago from TTS too! This light rocks! Even my dad about crapped his pants when I accidentally activated it when switching the battery magazine around (no bezel on). And he paid like $20 for his 2D Mag about 10 years ago thinking it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always been a big supporter of the Surge, as well as a suporter of William @ TTS. Hey, us Texans have to stick together. The Surge is great for the price, but now you need EDC. You have to get an ARC AAA & a SF E2 or E2e. William will help you with both of these. TX

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
txwest...I've already got the ARC AAA; I listened to y'all on that one a long time ago! ...got an SF E1, also...gettin' an E2 for my B-Day next month. I'll be 43 and I haven't looked forward to my birthday this much since I was a kid!
grin.gif
grin.gif

PJD

yclo

Flashaholic*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PJD:
...there is nothing in the world more frustrating than a lousy beam...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or a yellow one..

beam_me_up

Enlightened
Surge this, Surge that....have you all forgotten about the legend lx ? Sure the surge is a little brighter but the legend lx is smaller!

wink.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
EDIT - actually, it doesn't feature on the site yet ...... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is on the site, but you have to click on the "What's New" link.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:

EDIT - actually, it doesn't feature on the site yet ......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SURGE

Brightnorm

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
zerox...I do have an LX, and I'm impressed with it, too. In fact, it was the first really "bright" light I bought. I liked it so much I convinced about 6 of my fellow officers to get one. But for feeding costs, I'll take the Surge...they're BOTH good at what they "do"...

PJD

K-T

*Moderator*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarrenI:
(...) and best of all, it is under $25. (...)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my dreams it's 25$, if I would buy one here it'll cost about 85$.
frown.gif

Klaus.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klaus,
Is it just flashlights that are 3+ times the price over there, or are daily staples (like beer) that high also?? TX

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PJD:
After hearing all the hoopla about the PT Surge, I finally broke down and bought one from TTS (GREAT service, BTW...). I think it was the size that kept me from buying one up til now...I prefer the smaller lights. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the Princeton Tec Surge also! I have 2.

If you want something that has about the same brightness and beam quality, but is smaller, check out the Brinkmann Legend LX.

I really like the LX also. Again, I have 2!

K-T

*Moderator*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
Klaus,
Is it just flashlights that are 3+ times the price over there, or are daily staples (like beer) that high also?? TX
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

grin.gif

Strangely lots of lights are more expensive than in the US, but I guess there are several other things that don't come into my mind right now since we only talk flashlights.
wink.gif
I guess there is a "better market" in the US, that's why it might be cheaper. Second reason might be the dealers trying to cover the costs of importing all these goodies from you to us over the pond.
But all this won't keep me from getting one of these very impressive Surges some day. It might just be the second most expensive one, after these from the UK
smile.gif
I guess.
Klaus.