Olights - All flat-top beams! - vs. Fenix, Dereelight, Tiablo

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

I bought all 3 Olight models (and also 3 Fenix digitals). Every one has a very flat-top and narrow hotspot. I knew they would be more throwy than Fenix (which is terribly inconsistent about focus from light to light, but a softer hotspot overall), but I didn't expect such a flat-top.

The Olights are thus unfortunately almost useless to me since I use lights mostly walking around the house at night, or in close quarters (inspection/work-light) so more floody beams are better.

I work with lasers, so let's define beam profiles:

gaussian = beam has a 1/exp(x^2) shape, or normal distribution. This is usually the most desirable shape for laser beams, though industrial processes sometimes prefer...

flat-top = beam profile looks like a rectangle. (I am talking here about the intensity as a function of position for an axis drawn through the center of the spot that the light makes on the wall, NOT that the light makes a rectangle on the wall!)

Of course, nothing makes a perfect flat-top. There is a softness to the edges. An exapmple of a very soft transition from center hotspot to spill would be the gaussian. Certainly a gaussian (or something similar) is more desirable for the following reasons:

1. It balances throw with flood. Since the central portion is much brighter than the outer regions, even a wider gaussian beam diameter can achieve a more lux on a distant target compared to a flat top. Thus even if the average lux over a gaussian profile is less than that of a flat-top of the same effective diameter (for equivalent total lumens), the gaussian will throw more and yet convey the appearance of smoothly illuminating a broader area.

2. It avoids the sense of "tunnel vision" which results when the transition from hotspot to spill is very sharp. That is what the Olights do. I don't like this at all.

Another example is Dereelight DBS vs. Tiablo A9, which I have also obtained. The A9 is more flat top. Because of this it seems useless for distances that are too close to let the beam expand significantly. Whereas the DBS has a continuous peaking of intensity toward the center. The DBS seems useable even for lighting the walk only 10-20ft. ahead, while the A9 gives tunnel vision.

It seems a particular problem with Cree LEDs, this flat-top beam profile. I think that a really crafty light maker needs to sit down with some optical design software, and design a reflector shape that produces a planned beam profile. That being gaussian or something similar with a peaking of intensity right at the center and gradual tapering off toward the spill. This reflector would likely wind up NOT being a paraboloid. It would be some arbitrary shape, that would then be cut by a CNC lathe.

This is the only way to improve this. Maybe this can be the next innovation by light makers - mathematically optimized beam profiles, with 3D surface plots measured and printed in test reports just like for lasers!

I really thought I would like the Olights better than Fenix, since Fenix is always inconsistent about focus, centering of the emitter in the reflector. (My P3D beam is significantly oblong due to poor emitter centering, the P2D is just slightly.) And I thought the memory of the Olights would be much preferrable to the Fenix, having to step through brightness levels all the time.

Now I think maybe the Fenix UI isn't so bad after all, since it isn't that much more trouble to give an extra tap or two. It might even be better than memory for me. You can't know this until you try it. But the Olights "feel" better made than Fenix (partly for the reasons mentioned).

Maybe I should have bought just one Olight first?

I will probably keep one just for collector's sake, then put two others for sale later.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might just be the reflector. Olight uses that half OP half smooth reflector to get some throw from a somewhat smoothed beam. I think Fenix uses fully OP reflectors. Everyone is using the same emitters more or less.

I like Olights better than Fenix for their simpler UI and seemingly better QC. They just feel better to me. Not real fond of the beam though. I'd prefer a smoother transition from hotspot to spill.

TeK

Newly Enlightened
I got the T10 Q5 and while it is certainly meant to be used outside, I think it has a very usable spill. What bothers me is the small artifacts in the hotspot (a slightly darker corona). It's noticeable only when hunting white walls though.

I love this little light because it's VERY bright. I'm a little worried though because it draws 1.6A from my Soshine RCR123A (3.75V) and 1.8A (!) on primaries (3.00V). This really seems like a bit much...

TeK

awberke

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about you guys, but i am thoroughly impressed... More big words and math formulas please. :ironic:

Xe54

Enlightened
It might just be the reflector. Olight uses that half OP half smooth reflector to get some throw from a somewhat smoothed beam. I think Fenix uses fully OP reflectors. Everyone is using the same emitters more or less.

I like Olights better than Fenix for their simpler UI and seemingly better QC. They just feel better to me. Not real fond of the beam though. I'd prefer a smoother transition from hotspot to spill.

Yes. Although my T20 has now exhibited failure to turn on a few times. I may return this one.

My point was that reflector shape, not just surface finish plays a role in beam shape. The dominant role, in fact. It is possible to design a smooth beam with a smooth reflector, depending on the curvature of the reflector.

Theoretically, the paraboloid will image the emitter near infinity, resulting in a blotchy though well focussed beam. The beam articfacts in this case are actually due to the projection of an image of the emitter. You can almost see the die wire bonds and current spreading metallization on a highly focussed smooth reflector light.

Since different curvature can result in drastically different distribution of rays from the emitter, my assertion is that a reflector shape can be designed via optical engineering (ray-tracing) software to produce a desired distribution of rays at a target. Such a reflector would no longer be a paraboloid (though not drastically different). But it would produce a strong central peak intensity with a smooth transition to spill, even with a smooth reflector finish. At that point, adding orange peel would only soften it slightly further, perhaps smoothing over minor deficiencies in alignment.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I love the beam and output from the Olight (T10 for mine). Throws like crazy but has spill too. I don't care about perfection in white wall hunting - this light is awesome for many purposes and the UI is great. I'm not going to get hung up in technical jargon on a light - I just take it out and use it and it's either a thumbs up or thumbs down. :nana:
This one is a big:twothumbs