Problem with D-65 Tube for D-mini

Secur1

Enlightened
Hi ppl

I just got myself a D-65 extension tube for my D-mini in order to run it on 18650 cells and i can't get that damn thing to work properly...
I know it sounds rediculous cause it's just an extension tube but still.
I got it working the first time i put it together, even tho the threads seem very poorly machined and have a lot of sharp edges, but it messed up the tight focus i had set so i took it apart again to try and fix that. Well it hasn't worked since i put it back together again.
The pill assembly is ok cause it works fine in the original cr123 body.

So what could possibly be wrong here ?

Thanks in advance

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Secur1, Hopefully I can help... I have had 3 D-mini-s and 2 18650 tubes...and I have had help from a few people getting my setup to work.
1. Did you add a sodder blob or magnet if your 18650 cell has a flat top (like most)? If not, you need a small rare earth magnet (radio shack has them) or if you have a soddering gun, use conductive sodder and put a little blob on the bottom of the pill so you get a good electrical contact.

2. For your focusing issues... if your D-mini is one of the first one's made, your pill sits down into the tube farther than the ones they made the tube for. Get some thin speaker wire (I used the wire from a old junky set of headphones) and wrap it around the bottom of the pill and give it 1-2mm extra height, and screw it into the base...keep working with it until your focus is right. Once you get it, you should be fine.

I hope that helps...but let me know.

Secur1

Enlightened
You are right on both accounts woodrow, i guess it was barely making contact the first time around, i shoved in a small piece of tin foil and it worked, so i guess i'll fix that with my soldering iron and get something to raise that reflector from the pill a bit too.

Thanks for the speedy and very accurate reply :)

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen your guide before, great work btw :) But thank fully mine wasn't glued, it simply screwed in so it was pretty easy to take it apart. Now i just need to add some solder to it and find a way to fix up the focusing part as well.

I remember I had to play around with my light. My light had the same problem. Try not screwing down the D-Mini Module all the way.

Zenster

Enlightened
So just curious...

Are these two issues mainly with "the first ones made"?

Have these things been remedied with the newer runs of D-minis?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think there are any focusing issues with any of the Q2/Q5 D-mini's. As for the 18650 issue... from now on, I am only buying them with tabs anyway. I do not have a soddering gun, and don't trust magnets that much.