28mm aspheric for my G2

kungfumo

Newly Enlightened
So I bought a 28mm lens for my G2 with a CREE drop and a cell extender, last time I ordered from DX. I put it in and said holy Sh!t thats cool:D. I was getting allot of side spill so I took some scotch tape and blocked out the reflector, which made a huge diff. This thing will out throw my SF M4 very cool for a 9v CREE.

So what would be the best way to get the most out of this lens? Would blacking out the reflector work better or just some paint?

Oh and by the way a CREE buld from SF wont work with this, the reflector is to short. The Drop in from DX works much better. Oh and if you turn the lens around backwards it gives a ton of spill:crazy:

oh and if you put a P61 bulb in and put it up against some paper it will burn a hole in it:devil:

SafetyBob

Enlightened
That's great news. I have been wondering if anyone with smaller lights have been playing with these lenses. I have been playing most of the night with a Cree Q5 a VIP1000 in a 2 D M@g and a aspheric lense with some new 10000mA NiMH D cells. 3 hours and it is still running.

Wife getting annoyed with my playing.....but amazed at how far this thing can light stuff up though...so all is not lost.

Bob E.

kungfumo

Newly Enlightened
Thats awesome, now I just need to get a aspheric for my SF M4 and put a CREE in it or maybe 3-4.:whistle:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, can you link to the dealextreme SKU you're talking about? Is it this one?

I'm curious :)

Does the aspheric fit inside the drop-in so the whole setup is contained within the head of the G2?

kungfumo

Newly Enlightened
No its 28mm, it replaces the lens. Only problem is that you have to either take out the gasket or mod the retaining ring to get it to screw down.

Whats the best way to block out the reflector any one know?

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose to make the light as bright as possible you'd want to increase the amount of light going forward. With that in mind, I think it'd be better to keep the reflector or to even replace it with something with higher albedo (reflectiveness).

edit: oops - disregard me, I see you want minimal spill. Would some kind of black paint/spray work?

This is a very cool idea :)

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think that priming it would help the paint to stay? You might have to sand it down first, I guess.

It wouldn't be good if the paint started to powder or flake off...

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of ruining the reflector try a black piece of paper rolled and cut into a funnel. Tight around the led and wide at the end of the reflector. Shouldn't look bad through the aspheric lens.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an even better idea, although touching the reflector might still ruin it.

How about this one: black out the parts of the aspheric lens that aren't touching the LED. That way you don't need to touch the reflector at all.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an even better idea, although touching the reflector might still ruin it.

How about this one: black out the parts of the aspheric lens that aren't touching the LED. That way you don't need to touch the reflector at all.

The reflector, especially if it's OP, won't be noticeably affected by a black construction paper cone touching it. Don't get acid on them, though.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If it is like the other modules, can't you just unscrew the reflector and use a rolled piece of paper or some sort of dark tubing? You can also adjust the height of the lens to give you more throw(If the LED isn't at the focus point of the lens).