What LED does my Terralux tle-5ex use?

slagell

Newly Enlightened
I bought a tle-5ex for my minimag recently and love it! It is the purest white of all my LED's and the brightest. I want to get the same kind of LED for my 2D mag, but I have found so much conflicting info on the type of LED it may be using. I have seen Cree, K2 w/ TFFC, and SSC P4 all listed as LEDs used for this product by Terralux.

If I can be sure to get the same kind of output from the TLE-6EX-B, I might even get it regardless of all the troubles people have reported with it. Still, I think I would rather find something else with the same kind of LED to be safe.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The TLE-5EX uses Cree I believe, but I've seen a version labeled the same with a Luxeon K2 with TFFC 'flip chip'[FONT=arial, helvetica][/FONT]
TLE-6EX-B uses SSC P4

Last edited:

slagell

Newly Enlightened
The TLE-5EX uses Cree I believe, but I've seen a version labeled the same with a Luxeon K2 with TFFC 'flip chip'
TLE-6EX-B uses SSC P4

Battery Junction says both use the K2 w/ TFFC. A sticky post here that has all the high powered lights says Cree, but some other posts here say SSC. IT is very confusing.

Marduke

Flashaholic
There have been 3 LED's in that model to my knowledge, including Cree, SSC, and K2 TFFC. You can tell which by physically looking at it, but website usually recycle pictures, and often use a picture from last model (or several models ago)

slagell

Newly Enlightened
There have been 3 LED's in that model to my knowledge, including Cree, SSC, and K2 TFFC. You can tell which by physically looking at it, but website usually recycle pictures, and often use a picture from last model (or several models ago)

You can tell by looking, but I cannot. Can you tell me what to look for? I think it is probably a Cree since I bought it a month ago. If this is right, then I just need to find a nice Cree upgrade for my 2D mag.

slagell

Newly Enlightened
It looks exactly like that picture in the link. I wouldn't call it a crack, but there is that black line.

slagell

Newly Enlightened
Why do you even care what LED it is? The SSC does an excellent job in the big Mag's.

I have an SSC in my G2 LED. It is nice, but it is a bluer tint than the Cree. The Cree is brighter (probably from regulation differences) and just a nicer looking color to me.