Two types of people: "It's just a flashlight" people and "It's a tool" people.

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
Two types of people: "It's just a flashlight" people and "It's a tool" people.

Some people will never understand why some people would want a certain type of flashlight. To them, they are all the same and just another flashlight.

In a way they are right. All flashlights do the same thing, but they all do it quite differently.

The other type is the "tool" person. Who thinks a flashlight is a tool and if you get a certain type from all the others it makes it even more of a tool to them. Also, before you buy a new tool do you just buy it without doing some research first?

"It's not just a flashlight, It's a tool, and I got a LED flashlight because it was the best tool for the money."

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Two types of people: "It's just a flashlight" people and "It's a tool" people.

I am also a "It's a toy" person :) .

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
Re: Two types of people: "It's just a flashlight" people and "It's a tool" people.

:crackup:

That also might go under "trying to find a reason to use a flashlight" when you probably don't really need it at that moment.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic

Some people will never understand why some people would want a certain type of flashlight. To them, they are all the same and just another flashlight.

In a way they are right. All flashlights do the same thing, but they all do it quite differently.

The other type is the "tool" person. Who thinks a flashlight is a tool and if you get a certain type from all the others it makes it even more of a tool to them. Also, before you buy a new tool do you just buy it without doing some research first?

"It's not just a flashlight, It's a tool, and I got a LED flashlight because it was the best tool for the money."

I think neither of these comes anywhere close to describing the flashaholism of longer term CPF members. "It's a toy" maybe comes a little closer in some regards but doesn't capture it either. There's much more going on, there are technology enthusiasts here, design connoisseurs, collectors, etc. Most of all, in my opinion it is the modders who define this place. The quest for the perfect flashlight is like the challenge to climb Mt. Everest, and the modders respond to it with the same level of energy, enthusiasm, and depth of commitment that a mountain climber brings to climbing. Why do people climb mountains, why do they pursue space travel, why do they build flashlights out of completely impractical materials like solid tungsten? Because it's in our nature. As Sartre might have said, flashaholism is a humanism.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm just afraid of the dark...

:grin2:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's an instrument of the Trade person

deathkenli

Newly Enlightened

"It's not just a flashlight, It's a achievement, and I got a sulfur lamp flashlight because it was the best toy for the money."

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm a Torch person myself !

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not be the highest techno person here--not by a far, far shot however, I do appreciate the end performance of the lights as well as the technology that goes behind them. My interest certainly doesn't stop there. I have great interest and appreciation for the design of these fine instruments both from a exterior as well as interior design. On another "front" I enjoy the commradery, the activity, the education all of which goes along with this "hobby" as well as the collecting for the seat of the pants "driving" of these fine lights. I have called 'em "toys" but, they go far beyond this designation. These, never just a means to an end, a "tool" never just something to play with, a "toy", much much more than that.

Karl

easilyled

Flashaholic

As paulr said earlier, there is a third category of person that you
have not mentioned ...

"Its a work of art/thing of beauty" people who admire the beautiful
machining and/or the flawless electronic internals of flashlights
conceived by the leading designers/machinists/modders here.
eg. McGizmo/TB/Mac/Data/Icarus/Led Zeppelin etc.

Zenster

Enlightened

I think neither of these comes anywhere close to describing the flashaholism of longer term CPF members.
Yea, but this does:

It's my... "Precioussss"!

Smeagle

Mark620

Enlightened

What about people who just have a flashlight obsession???

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

All the above. It's no different than the $60K car that will get you to work in the same time as the $15K car, the $500 stamp that won't work to mail a letter or the $20K motorcycle that's just for Sunday afternoon slow rides.

edit - I recently posted a link to CPF on a cycle forum in response to a post from a guy who was planning to mount some "retina burner" LED's on his bike. He replied that he knew more about LED's than "the quirky people over there (CPF)".
Made me realize one of the reasons I like CPF so much -- I've never cared for plain-vanilla, uninteresting people.

Last edited:

alanagnostic

Enlightened

I also agree with all the above descriptions but I've had trouble putting my finger on why I'm fascinated with flashlights. They are very useful tools and toys to play with but for me it's more like a way to be independent. They allow me to do things well when others are struggling. They allow me to see dangers that might be in my path. They make me less "usual" and "normal" than I would be otherwise. I don't really try to explain my fascination with flashlights anymore, I just enjoy it. :party::party::party:

Cloudane

Newly Enlightened

I think it's just a (mostly male) geek thing.

cv3po

Banned

I think it's just a (mostly male) geek thing.

For some yes (and i proudly call myself a geek). Others use them at work and just want to be informed and have the best light they can get. All i know is that my first light was a derringer light from the circus with a bulb in each barrel that i got at about age 5-6. It broke by the time we got home and I cried. :mad::mecry: Ever since I have had some light in my pocket (for a long while a m@g solitare with a bunch of spare bulbs and pockets full of batts) and i'd creep around the house and peek into dark corners and that i PRAY for power outages. :D

sawlight

Enlightened

Interesting!!!!!
I have a problem, if I own something I WILL use it!!! I love the customs made here, but I can't "justify" the purchase of something to be a "shelf queen". If I had a Lamborghini, I would drive it as often as I could!! I am just that way, if I can't use it, why have it?
For my lights, yes I use them, they are tools, friends, lifesavers, and utilities for me. I like having versatility, I am loving having the useful features of my Novatac, one day I may reprogram it, but it has been a most useful light in about every situation I have been in!!!!
On another note, I found this funny!!!
I have on two instances been discussing my Christmas present, the Novatac. One was a neighbor, he got a Lowe's 9 led light, about the same size for Christmas as well, and was bragging about it. I showed him mine and how to use it, he went silent!!!!
My wife's BIL bought something similar also, and was telling me how wonderful it was. He showed it to me, yup, same old same old. I said "$10 at Wal Mart?" Not being mean, but not subtle either. "No, that was a $40 light, it's stainless!!!" Ok, whatever:laughing: Even after playing with mine, he was insistent that his was better for whatever reason!
Sorry for the side track, I am just completely amazed that people think what is shoved down there throats is the best next thing!!!

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened

Interesting!!!!!
I have a problem, if I own something I WILL use it!!! I love the customs made here, but I can't "justify" the purchase of something to be a "shelf queen". If I had a Lamborghini, I would drive it as often as I could!! I am just that way, if I can't use it, why have it?
For my lights, yes I use them, they are tools, friends, lifesavers, and utilities for me. I like having versatility, I am loving having the useful features of my Novatac, one day I may reprogram it, but it has been a most useful light in about every situation I have been in!!!!
On another note, I found this funny!!!
I have on two instances been discussing my Christmas present, the Novatac. One was a neighbor, he got a Lowe's 9 led light, about the same size for Christmas as well, and was bragging about it. I showed him mine and how to use it, he went silent!!!!
My wife's BIL bought something similar also, and was telling me how wonderful it was. He showed it to me, yup, same old same old. I said "$10 at Wal Mart?" Not being mean, but not subtle either. "No, that was a $40 light, it's stainless!!!" Ok, whatever:laughing: Even after playing with mine, he was insistent that his was better for whatever reason!
Sorry for the side track, I am just completely amazed that people think what is shoved down there throats is the best next thing!!!

Novatac are about 200 dollars right?

Maybe he thought he got the best flashlight for a great price but couldn't say it?

That's kinda how I think anyway.

But, I would never try and say it is the best flashlight ever though.

The only think I would have said is my LED flashlight I bought may not be the best there is, but it is great for what I need it for at a great price.

The guy should have said even though it maybe not be the best LED flashlight it is better then any incandescent flashlight for the same price.

Some people even think a 10 dollars for a flashlight is too much.

Last edited: