New: The SSC-P4 Microblaster !

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SSC-P4 Microblaster !

Hi guyzz,

This is about a project I started a year ago! Didn't have the time to post about this sooner..

As most of you meight not know, apart from the HID-love I have, I'm playing with led's as well. Led's are very usefull in smaller torches, and are becomming more efficient every year!

I was not quite happy with buying 90 lumens/watt leds and throw away much of this efficiency by using a conventional reflector setup or aspheric lenses.
Ok, aspherical lenses are great for throw, but not very practical with virtually no usable sidespill!

With my optical background, I always try to improve the optics (lenses, reflectors) used in torches today. When I saw the acryllic based TIR-optics a few years ago, I instantly knew that those were the best possible collimators for use with high power leds like luxeon and seoul. The best solution for high throw with usable sidespill. De big disatvantage is that they come in only a few sizes, and are very fragile.

So I began thinking (again..) and came up with this:

drawingtir17mmbye2.jpg

Above are the theoretics behind a glass-based TIR optic I wanted to make myself! Grabbing an emittance angle of 170 degrees and having a total efficiency of 95% !! Yep, that means 95% of the emitted led-lumens are actually converted into torchlumens!

And this is one of the results:

30mmopticcw1.jpg

Above, you see a 30mm diameter version, I've made a few smaller versions as well. One of those smaller versions is working very well in my new Microblaster:

microblaster1lk4.jpg

Microblaster is a SSC-P4, 3-level, reed-switch controlled, super waterproof (depth 300m) mini torch with up to 200 lumens of output at 2200 lux/1m

microblaster2qj5.jpg

With a head-diameter of only 17.5mm and a reflector-diameter of 15.5mm, making my own optic was the only solution to prevent the nessessity of using low effficiency conventional reflectors for this.. OK, not quite: I machened some acryllic optics before to fit them in small lights I modded earlier:

dsc01883biy5.jpg

They are based on earlier Luxeon-III emitters and still work fine. EDIT: I recently fitted the bigger one with a SSC-P4 emitter: 6500 cp (in stead of 2600 cp)

Making a glass based optic takes two full days, but it's worth the hard labour: Glass has much lower thermal expansion, can easily be coated with an antreflection-coating, and can easily be cleaned without damaging it. And, within quite a big range, I can make any size, with any collimation angle!
However, being fully glass, size is limited to about 50mm diameter, bigger will be heavy!

Beampattern:

spillmicroblasterbs4.jpg

As you can see, amost all the lumens are concentrated within the main beam, very, very little is lost towards the side!

Glass based TIR's have exactly the same throw as aspheric lenses with the same diameter, but TIR's give more usable sidespill due to the much higher efficiency!

Specs Microblaster:

Seoul SSC P4 emitter
Massive copper heatsink with embedded reed-switches, attached to reflector-head.
AW 10280 180 mAh Li-Ion cell
3-level (resistor based):
1: 50 hours 2 torchlumens/ 20cp (average output, with resistor)
2: 3 hours 20 torchlumens/210cp (average output, with resistor)
3: 15 min 200 torchlumens/2200cp (average output, direct drive, no resistor)
Water resistant up to depths of 300 meters.

I'm working on a Cree Q-5 Microblaster, more about this later..

Any questions??

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incredible work, well done!

How do you make the optic ?

Are you going to make some for sale ?

Thanks,

It takes two days to make just one! So if I ever would sell them, they will be very expensive! At least $150.-.. Compare that to a $3.- acryllic based optic, which already reach up to 90% efficiency. That would be $147 for only 5% extra efficiency!
In some cases it is quite impossible to make things that come from a hobby commercially aviable.. Sorry.

It's very hard to explain how to make them: It's much more dificult than making an aspherical lens yourself.

Best,

Ra.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Ra:)

Amazing workmanship :clap:...:twothumbs...:bow:

That's really an incredible light:rock:

All the best my friend

_____
Tom:wave:

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, incredible work. Can you do one for the tri-star Rebel?

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, incredible work. Can you do one for the tri-star Rebel?

In theory, yes.. I can match them to any kind of emitter, putting three or more of them together needs some work as well, but it is possible..

And Supernam: I don't want to make acrylic based types, they can easly be damaged and have high thermal expansion.

Best,

Ra.

claustro

Newly Enlightened
Awesome!!
Great great work!
One question did U make the reed switch by youself?
If yes can you explane how you made it !

THX
Andrea

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome!!
Great great work!
One question did U make the reed switch by youself?
If yes can you explane how you made it !

THX
Andrea

I didn't make them myself, they are cheap and commonly aviable.

A reed-switch is a rare gas filled glass envelope with two contacts inside. It is triggered by magnetic induction (coil or magnet).

The advanages: Completely sealed, no corrosion of contacts, very high reliabillity, and very small enclosure! The reed switches in Microblaster are 5mm long and have 1.8mm diameter. They are triggered through the al-body, by a little neodymium magnet, embedded inside the white ring just below the reflector-head.

Best,

Ra.

JetskiMark

Enlightened
Hello Ra,

Your previous creations were so very impressive, now this! If you could only go into production with all of them.

It would be nice if you could take some outdoor beamshots of your Microblaster compared to some production LED lights that others might already have. It would be fun to throw your 10W HID and Maxablaster into the mix as well. It would be interesting to see some close to medium range shots of your throw monsters.

Regards,
Mark

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mark,

My problem is that I don't have much other lights, I'm not quite a flashlight collector.
Also, most of the lights in the US are not aviable here, and need to be shipped over a long distance, which make them more expensive..

I'll try to make some outside beamshots in the comming days..

Best,

Ra.

claustro

Newly Enlightened
A reed-switch is a rare gas filled glass envelope with two contacts inside. It is triggered by magnetic induction (coil or magnet).

Thank you Ra for your answer, I know what reeds switch are I 'd like to know if you made by yourself the ring outside the body torch with the magnet which control it...I am sorry my english is very bad:bow:

Anyway you did an incredible work there :goodjob:

Andrea

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The entire light is my own design and homemade, with the help of a friend of mine, with high machening skills..

Best,

Ra.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super nice optic, Ra! Love the way it looks so clear too.

Curious about the problem with acrylic's thermal expansion. Is it that the LED heats the head, and the head heats the optic? What happens when acrylic expands? Does it affect focus and/or collimation?