HELP NEEDED - Maglite Mod!

Alexcamp

Newly Enlightened
I realized I may have posted this in the wrong section before so I am posting it here where I think it belongs.

I have done some MagLite mod in the past with the 3-D cell model. The only thing i'd like to improve was the way my led module was connected to the power source. I couldn't find fittings that would drop in the existing bulb socket of the maglite so I had to dremel into the socket and solder the two wires directly on the socket parts. That meant disassembling the whole flashlight and also the mod was "permanent". No way to get back to the original configuration (who wants to anyway).

I am considering putting some of my led modules into production again with some up-to-date Nichias DS, but this time in a "Drop-in" configuration so that a user could interchange led modules or simply put the old incandescent bulb back in.

Here's where I need HELP: I need to find a fitting that would fit and lock inside the bulb socket of all those C or D cell maglites. The fitting needs to be long enough for easy modding.
Does anyone know where I can get this ???

Also, does anyone know of a source where I can get 5mm Nichias DS Leds ?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Here's a picture of the maglites I modded back in 2004 :
2183946515_b936af6796.jpg

Thanks in advance!
progress.gif

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't think the DS is available for sale.

A single highpower LED like the Cree XR-E with the right reflector could probably give you more output and the same beam profile.

There are also many other LED drop-ins for sale. Malkoffdevices(Gene43 here) also hand makes Maglite LED drop-ins.

You might have to machine your own fittings.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could break out the glass from a maglite bulb and drill out the rest with a glass drill bit and solder to that part, which I think is called the PR base (I may be corrected on that).