Simplifying my obsession...anyone else?

rtt

Enlightened
I am entering another stage with flashlights. I have owned a large herd that consisted of Surefires, Arc, Peak, Electrolumens, Mags and other no name lights. I decided to reduce the herd to only three lights that use the same size primary batteries. I decided to give all my lights and assorted different batteries and chargers away to family and friends. So this is what I ended up with.

Two SF G2L - I keep one in my brief case and the other one in the truck. Great light! It is rugged and light weight.

SF A2 with white led - Used for night walks and on the bed stand. Light is used on low 98% of the time. Guess the A2 is really like two lights.

Has anyone else reached this flashaholic stage???

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
This thoughts have occured in my mind, but flashlights are not what they used to be for me any more, they are not only tools. They have become my "precious"! :)

I want to use all the lights I buy, and Im gonna if i ever get the need to use all the diffrent lights...

But they are sort of collectibles, like women buy shoes and never use them. Just like my lights! :)

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I decided to give all my lights and assorted different batteries and chargers away to family and friends.

Has anyone else reached this flashaholic stage???

I did, but i handled it differently. I just bought my family so many lights that they didn't want anymore. Friends, coworkers and even acquaintances got some to.

I think it just goes to show that there is more than one solution.

jugg2

Enlightened
I never think about giving away or selling lights, thats just seems wrong. But maybe I'm not to that stage yet.

benighted

Enlightened
I have a bunch of surefires. 95% of the time I am EDC'ing my Kroma and it has worked for me. I find that the Kroma is reliable enough that there is no need to carry a backup light.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It hasn't happened yet...many many lights and even more on the wishlist...

The slope remains slippery.

Regards,
Tempest

USM0083

Enlightened
I never think about giving away or selling lights, thats just seems wrong. But maybe I'm not to that stage yet.

My wife-to-be told me my flashlight limit was 50, including key chains, so I gave away my minimag LEDs and resolved to buy high priced lights. :sssh:

bigfoot

Enlightened
:thumbsup: That is a good approach!

I have tried not to go completely crazy and buy only lights I know I will use. Still, there is the daily checking of CPF to see what else is out there or what I might be missing...

Oh well, there are more expensive hobbies out there. :)

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I don't give away or sell my lights. I'm that way with most things that I value....I plan on keeping them until I die. If I were to start over and only bought 3 lights they would probably be a Surefire 9p, an HDS EDC (or the new Twisty), and a Surefire L4.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no way I could have only 3 lights. If I *had* to thin the herd, it would be down to like maybe 25 or so. A couple in each of my 2 cars, my 4 that I EDC at work including keychain lights, a couple in each room of my apartment, a couple nightstand lights, a couple throwers, a couple long run time lights, and then there's ones I just think are too cool to get rid of.
I guess I better make that number 40 or 50! :)

rtt

Enlightened
There's no way I could have only 3 lights. If I *had* to thin the herd, it would be down to like maybe 25 or so. A couple in each of my 2 cars, my 4 that I EDC at work including keychain lights, a couple in each room of my apartment, a couple nightstand lights, a couple throwers, a couple long run time lights, and then there's ones I just think are too cool to get rid of.
I guess I better make that number 40 or 50! :)

Big_Ed...I would have to say you are the definition of a "flashaholic!":twothumbs
I never had that many lights at one time. I think the greatest number was around 15 lights. A few months ago I was roaming around the house and found lights in different drawers that I could not remember when I last used. After this incident I made up my mind to thin the herd to lights that I actually use (or will serve a purpose). This was the same for batteries and chargers.:thumbsdow I am still interested in lights and surf CPF and the net for the latest lights and future light gossip. Who knows, I'm sure a light will be released that I will have to get. I hope my criteria that I have set can be maintained. I.E. Replace one of the three lights with the new light.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can make do with three:

Freeplay Jonta (good enough of everything)
FreePlay Indigo (great light to read by at night)
BigLeef WA1185 (when I eventually build one)

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did, but i handled it differently. I just bought my family so many lights that they didn't want anymore. Friends, coworkers and even acquaintances got some to.

Oh man... I wish I have a friend flashaholic like you! Or a cousin, an uncle...

tedjanxt

Enlightened
The closest I have come is emptying my most unused lights of batteries and keeping said batteries stored elsewhere.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

That was hilarious! Thanks. :)

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite down to three only yet, but thinning the herd for sure, yes absolutely.

The one decided on that sees house duty/power outage ends up being a 7 dollar Energizer 3 LED.

Go figure. :shakehead

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just trying to keep the battery variety to a minimum. It's all AA's, D's, and 18650's. I have 1 AAA light on my keychain but it's a special exception.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been anywhere near that stage.
They are my precious herd! I've slowed down buying smaller cheaper lights and am now starting to focus on the C-note and above lights. But there are a couple small ones I still want to get and there likely always will be. I do give away a light here and there, usually ones that I won't use anymore. But I also have a collection of interesting lights, nostalgia lights, etc.