good AA light <$20?

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone particularly recommend a 1xAA light less than $20? Romisen's MXDL RC-G2 was amazing, but old and relatively dim. Romisen's latest and greatest 1xAA (according to their homepage), the RC-A3, looks great, but DX has many more flashlights than Romisen lists, and doesn't provide specs. Also, somebody may love another non-Romisen/SAIK/MXDL cheap AA...

After a bit of input, I'm looking at:
-MTE Cree Q5 LED 5-mode
-MTE C3 20-mode Rebel
-MTE 5-mode 100 lumens Rebel
-SAIK RC-A3
-UJC B-6 2 Mode Cree

anyone own one or more of these? the MTEs are a bit over $20, but it looks like they're worth it...

I'd really appreciate any info on overall brightness, build quality, regulation, whether they use PWM, and other lights :)

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

tr098a

Newly Enlightened
My RC-G2 is 1xAA.

I am starting to think my MTE is just a dud one, i took the head off and although it was not glued, it was extremely tight (it's difficult to get a decent grip on such a small device).

To get the torch to work again, the head needs to be screwed back on as tight as i can possibly do it.
mtehead.jpg

Probably just bottoming out on that solder

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
My RC-G2 is 1xAA.

I am starting to think my MTE is just a dud one, i took the head off and although it was not glued, it was extremely tight (it's difficult to get a decent grip on such a small device).

To get the torch to work again, the head needs to be screwed back on as tight as i can possibly do it.
mtehead.jpg

Probably just bottoming out on that solder

just saw your comment on the linked thread.

Yeah, looks like the solder is the contact - pretty bad defect... I don't know whether it's good that I can expect brighter, or bad that I'll have to expect possible quality problems...