Second thoughts about Nitecore DI

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

After having watched WadeF's video on it and reading the thread (linked below), I'm thinking I might not buy it after all. It seems like it takes "effort" to change brightness levels.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/183571
For the same reason, I have come to like Fenix better than Olight. I bought 3 Fenixes and 3 Olights over the holidays, and planned to buy the DI as well.

Now that I have the Olights, I find that the memory is not what I like. It would be Ok if the light had memory AND switched levels via the clicky (like the Dereelight, which I like). Then at least if I wanted a level that was not the last one, I could access it with one hand.

It's the one hand vs. two-hand level switching that's swayed me back to Fenix. I really wanted to find something I'd like better than Fenix. And I definitely prefer the Olight build quality. I even expected that I would not like the UI of the Fenix ?nD series lights at all, imagining that having to cycle up to high brightness levels all the time I use the light would be a drag.

But it turns out that since I can activate the light and quickly set to a higher brightness with just a tap or two makes it no big deal after all.

So while the Olight is less convenient in this respect, the DI seems even worse. For with the DI, I'd have to get it into ramping mode, then turn it off to set. Then wait. Then turn it back on.

I don't think this is what I would like. And for $80 it would have to be a perfect light. Adding the issues folks are having with the UI sometimes not working, I think I'll pass.

I hope the manufacturer keeps working on it though, and perhaps expands their line. I will keep an eye on them for the future. Perhaps since I live in the SF Bay Area, I can personally visit TADgear and try out the light in person. I'll probably do that this Friday...

kilgor

Enlightened
Umm ok. It very simple and quick to change brightness. I don't know what you mean by turning it off and waiting. I don't have to do that.

I use mine as a two level light. The head on mine rides on my side with the head tight, full power. If I want a very low light I can just loosen the head and have 45 hours of usable light. If I needed somewhere in between, I can adjust the light level in about 5 seconds.

You won't know if you like it until you try it. Definitely go by Tadgear and give it a try.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
THe UI is simple. It may look akward in my video because I was in an akward position trying to hold the light out infront of the camera. At one point I say I didn't switch fast enough, but I actually fumbled the light because I was trying to hold it akwardly infront of the camera.

I'd hate for my video to turn you off on the light because the UI is very easy.

Xe54

Enlightened
THe UI is simple. It may look akward in my video because I was in an akward position trying to hold the light out infront of the camera. At one point I say I didn't switch fast enough, but I actually fumbled the light because I was trying to hold it akwardly infront of the camera.

I'd hate for my video to turn you off on the light because the UI is very easy.

Your video minorly contributed to my doubts. More relevant has been the experience of comparing the Olights, Fenixes, and Dereelights.

I will go to TADgear and check it out. If the light was $45-55 it wouldn't be such a big deal. But $80 for a light that may turn out to be just for evaluation and kicks is a bit high.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspicion when the UI works on the DI it is not that bad to operate. Mine does not work and I will now have to get a replacement. However with the Fenix you do get four brightness levels, 5 with Olight. Although they are preset with these lights. With the DI you get max brightness level and one user set brightness level. I see no advantages to that over a light with the choice of 4 or 5 settings unless you need a very very low setting. Now having said the above I am very impressed with how bright the DI is for operating on only one AA battery. I like my Olight T20 Q5 and my P2D Q5 and am now thinking about returning the DI and getting the Olight T15 Q5 or the Fenix L1D Q5. Both are less expensive. Tough choice for sure and I'm still deciding myself. If I do get a DI replacement and have trouble again I will definitely go with the Olight or Fenix.

Bill

magic_elf

Banned
If the DI's UI is complicated, the NovaTac must be rocket science! lol!
Just kidding :D

resistance1

Newly Enlightened
unfortunately i will need a replacement also. mine slowly started dimming, then it would flicker. now it wont even come on, and when it does come on it just flashes. :( i already talked to tadgear and i will be getting a replacement from the next shipment.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, I've added Olight T15 Q5 runtimes to my NiteCore DI review (also includes Fenix L1D Q5).

NiteCore Defender Infinity: shipping vs pre-production (Olight T15 Q5 added)

Personally, I prefer the UI of the NiteCore over the others. I use it mainly as a simple 2-stage light. And as you'll see in the review, nothing matches it for output/runtime or battery versatility (e.g. regulated low modes on 14500).

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had some trouble with my UI. After cleaning it and replacing the o-ring with a thinner one (not sure if it's still waterproof, though), it seems to work better.

I now think of it as a 2 level light. I like the high (amazing for a AA) and the low-low, but find changing levels a bit of a PIA. I also don't have confidence in it continuing to work.

The light is nice, but I think the ideal light would be a simple 3 stage light with a low-low, useful medium and high.