Beretta 92F - Weapon light?

Taboot

Enlightened
:confused: I'm not sure if this is the proper section to place this thread.

I have a 92F. Not my favorite piece, but I like the capacity, overall feel and quality. I would really like to add a weaponlight and potentially a laser. I can not find squat on CPF or the internet at-large about a method of properly mounting accessories to this gun. It has no accessory rail and the frame section (ahead of the trigger guard) under the rail is not very robust. Perhaps it is just not possible. Before I give up, I figured I would pose the question here first. There are a lot of 92Fs out there, so I would imagine somebody must have a SF light properly mounted to one somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Taboot

Beastmaster

Enlightened

Taboot

Enlightened
laser wise, these are both nice - pricey - but top notch:
http://www.lasergripdiscounters.com/product/SOLLG402M
http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=16

there is also one that has both a laser and light ,which is finger operated, in the same unit. It can have light on only, laser on only or both. Neat unit.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/inm6xpitalai.html

WOW, I had no idea that these were available. The first 2 are really clever designs that make the laser much less cumbersome than having it hang under the nose with a light. If only we could have a light that unobtrusive and still be bright enough. Thanks for links, I'm leaning toward the SF mount that Beastmaster suggested and the Insight M6X light/laser you pointed out. If money were no object I would opt for the SF weaponlight and the LaserMax Internal Laser.

Thanks much for the pointers,

Mike

Taboot

Enlightened
No drill and no tap. You can take a 9mm cartridge rim and tighten the mount with it per Surefire.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/23525/sesent/00/Mounting-Rail

-Steve

OK, so it only attaches to the trigger guard. It seems like this would be a weak mounting system, but I'm quite sure that SF wouldn't offer it if it were insecure. Actually, it's probably the best way to do it on this gun, as the frame section under the barrel is quite thin and weak.

Thanks for the information. I was starting to think I was going to have to sell it and buy a Glock or other accessory-friendly piece.

Take care,

Mike

Taboot

Enlightened
well, you shouldn't indeed. get rid of this thing and get yourself the best help a man can buy for money: a Glock, or alternatively a H&K. just my 2 cents

regards, holger

holger,

I take it you are not a fan of the 92? It may have just been me, but I had a tough time holding a consistent group with it compared to other handguns. Also, the grip feels just a bit large in my hand. I have big hands, but short fingers.

Mike

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Have you ever tried holding a Springfield XD? They're exceptional pistols for the price... and they have rails.

Taboot

Enlightened
Have you ever tried holding a Springfield XD? They're exceptional pistols for the price... and they have rails.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked out some reviews of the .45 ACP versions. Really nice. They also come with a holster that has some sort of holder for your tactical light or laser. I'm not too familiar with the Glock-style cocking/striker(?) mechanism, so it's different to see a semi-auto without a visible hammer (ala 92 or 1911). Nice looking piece and it's reviewed very well. Found a nice one on gunbroker for $580 with a good bit of gear.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89886884

Thanks again,

Mike

Mercaptan

Enlightened
You also can't argue with a 13+1 capacity of good ole' 45 ACP. The holster job it comes with is pretty flimsy and gimmicky (why on earth did they put rails on the magazine holders, and the holster itself!?), I'd get a Blackhawk CQB if you want a quickdraw.

Though, come to think of it... with a weaponslight on, I'm not sure what kind of holster you'd want.

Taboot

Enlightened
You also can't argue with a 13+1 capacity of good ole' 45 ACP. The holster job it comes with is pretty flimsy and gimmicky (why on earth did they put rails on the magazine holders, and the holster itself!?), I'd get a Blackhawk CQB if you want a quickdraw.

Though, come to think of it... with a weaponslight on, I'm not sure what kind of holster you'd want.

Honestly, this gun doesn't really need to be holstered. It is a HD weapon for me. The reason for the light is because I want to have my options. The reason for the laser is that I would like to teach my wife (who hates guns and relunctantly leaned how to cycle the slide) to point the red dot and pull the trigger if she (hopefully never) has to. I don't think the 92 is the best HD choice for my circumstances though. I'm starting to think a simple DA revolver (.38 or .357) might be better for the uninitiated. Pull the trigger and it goes bang. If it doesn't go bang, pull it again. No muss no fuss.

I'm not sure about the merits of a light in a HD situation. However, as "they" say, it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Thanks again,

M

Patriot

Flashaholic
Taboot, I also prefer the Glock and the XD. I will recommend, if possible, that it's a good idea to go to your local range and shoot the gun that you're interested in. All of these modern handguns will shoot sub-4 inch groups at 25 yards given proper ammunition so your difficulties with shooting the 92F are most likely not the gun. I'm not saying this to discourage you in any way I just want to point, as a past NRA instructor, that mastering the .45 ACP can be quite a bit more challenge to master that a 9mm. I'd fire the XD in both 9mm and .40 to determine your level of comfortability before you decide on a .45 ACP and purchase one sight unseen through Gunbroker.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Taboot

Enlightened
Taboot, I also prefer the Glock and the XD. I will recommend, if possible, that it's a good idea to go to your local range and shoot the gun that you're interested in. All of these modern handguns will shoot sub-4 inch groups at 25 yards given proper ammunition so your difficulties with shooting the 92F are most likely not the gun. I'm not saying this to discourage you in any way I just want to point, as a past NRA instructor, that mastering the .45 ACP can be quite a bit more challenge to master that a 9mm. I'd fire the XD in both 9mm and .40 to determine your level of comfortability before you decide on a .45 ACP and purchase one sight unseen through Gunbroker.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks for your input. I agree that it is most likely not the gun. The Beretta seams to me to be a very well built piece. That said, I shoot relatively well with a S&W K-Frame 38/357 and a Colt .45 Gold Cup Trophy. I don't shoot often though, so perhaps some of the differences in the grips/trigger/weight/sights, etc. are my problem. I also have a tough time with a semi-auto Colt .380.

I hear you loud and clear regarding shoot before you buy.

Thanks,

Mike