Fenix LOD Q4 vs. KD 1AAA SCC U-bin SX0H Buckle Flashlight

DKTVPN

Newly Enlightened
My first post here. I bought 2 of KD SCC Buckle for $15 ea. and even they're not 100 lumens as advertised but bright enough for a little light. I'm not very impressed with the brightness of it, it's less bright than the 1W 3AAA plastic Taskforce for $2.50 from Lowes couple years back. Of course their size is wonderful and whitier.

Now for the LOD Q4, is it worth to spend 3x more? Will I get 3x brighter, whitier? Or I just paid 3x for the features and brand? Anyone got both cares to post reviews? Of course my budget won't allow me to order more than one that's why I need more input from this wonderfull forum before making any decision.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It might also be because the light is more of a flood light and the hotspot doesn't seem as bright as the other light.

Try this, compare the output by bouncing the light off the ceiling and see which one lights up the room better.

Also, what batteries are you using?

:welcome:

DKTVPN

Newly Enlightened
Something is really wrong if the light is dimmer than a 1w luxeon. Are you using a ni-mh battery?

The LOD should put the 3aaa light to shame...

I checked both of KD SCC Buckle lights and the TF plastic 1W luxeon is brighter than both. I used all brand new Duracell Alkaline for all of them. Is the LOD much brighter than KD Buckle light? LOD is rated 75 lumens while KD Buckle is 100 lumens.

Gunner12 said:
It might also be because the light is more of a flood light and the hotspot doesn't seem as bright as the other light.

Try this, compare the output by bouncing the light off the ceiling and see which one lights up the room better.

Also, what batteries are you using?

:welcome:

It's daytime now so I went to the bathroom upstairs to check the ceilling and TF is still brighter in a small area. I'll check again at night in the living room.

Should I use NI-MH batteries?

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Use Energizer E2 lithium AAA batteriese for better runtimes and better overall output.

Now, when you're discussing lumens, there is little relation to LUX (throw). Therefore, your buckle light might not LOOK as bright as the afformentioned cheap light, but you also need to consider that the reflector is tiny in the buckle light. Because of this, your crappy light might look brighter since it probably throws light a further distance. If you really wanna see which one is brighter, hold each one of them within 3 inches of a piece of white paper and I can almost guarantee your buckle light both burns your eyes more and also puts out more overall lumens than your cheap plastic light. The only way this would be wrong is if your buckle light is faulty.

As far as the L0D goes, it's a sweet light! It is not a superior throwing light meaning that unless it's absolutely PITCH BLACK outside, chances are it won't throw a great distance. But it is a great light for EDC (every day carry) and I find myself using it more than any of my other lights. You get what you pay for, and the price of the L0D is validated by how awesome it really is and how well its put together.

If you wanna see the L0D Q4 in action, click this link to my video and it's after 4 minutes in..there are a couple beam shots but they are slightly distorted by my laptop webcam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z5CnW22MyM

dank

DKTVPN

Newly Enlightened
They're different lights now.

After 6 hours charging my pair of Panasonic AAA I retested compared to TF plastic 1W 3AAA and the results were like I just got a couple of different lights. I even compared to the TF 2C 150 lumens White Cree (not needed to do this before) and they're not that bright but for the size they're amazing.

Now for the LOD Q4 I've read that if use with 10440 it'll produce somewhere 158 lumens (can't use 10440 on Buckle as people posted) to show off, so it's about the same as TF 2c White Cree? And with NI-MH is it brighter than Buckle and worth the 3x of money spent?

jake25

Enlightened
from my testing i get 1.1A from the TF

i put a Q5 int here so i'm getting ~230 Lumens.

ican'tremember what the P4 driven at 1.1A is but it should be around 150 if i remember.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
180 lumens actually coming from the torch reflector out the front through the lens, 240 being produced at the emitter, or very close to it. Just look BHP vs. WHP...my car makes 185 brake horsepower and probably about 153 wheel horsepower.