F***ed up my KL1 last night...

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
I think I was a bit hasty - but let this be a warning to the uninitiated modder.

I decided to try amd mod my spare KL1 with an RB 1W LS.

So I put the KL1 into a leather-lined vice (Lens end down), and
used a socket spanner which fitted the hex knurle to try and remove the front (smooth) ring, so I could access the LS.

Well, I put a bit too much pressure on the vice, and the front lens got chipped all the way around (because it turned even though it was in the vice).

Anyway - It did undo - but not where I wanted it to.

There is another joint - which I did not notice, that is between the electronics, and the LS heatsink. That is where it undid. It allows me to access the wires to the LS, but not the LS itself.

At this point - I called it quits (in between my bout of swearing...) and put it back together.

When I came back in from the workshop, my wife asked what I was doing, and so I told her, and showed her the damage.

The KL1 still worked OK, and the lens chips did not seem to affect the light too much, so she claimed it (along with my E2E) for herself.

So I think I was reasonable lucky - it could have been worse.

As they say; haste makes waste...

I will stick the RB LS into my 2C maglite modded to used 3x123 (9v) - until I get a 5W LS...

I will use only 2x123 with a dummy so that it runs on 6v (with a suitable resistor).

OR I could put it into a dud P61 I got, and stick it into my G2 - hmmm.

Still a modder...

Best Regards,

Abe.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems to be some kind of "black sealant" that is used between the lens ring and bezel.

I have 3 E2e bezels that I am disassembling and I was able to unscrew one of them by hand (using considerable effort).

I believe that I saw in another thread someone mention that heating them to 160 degrees helps loosen the epoxy. I don't know if 160 degrees would damage the KL1 circuit or not, but the Luxeon should not be hurt as long as you stay at or below 160.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
The epoxy on both E series bezels just dried up like a fart. When I looked @ the lens retainer it had greyish powder looking substance on the threads that I took for bad epoxy. I would suggest loctite BlackMaxx super adhesive to secure it next time(they use this stuff to afix shotgun sight ribs with,it's that strong)

MicroE

Enlightened
Abe---You have my sympathies. I disassembled an E2e bezel once and it was a BEAR. The black sealant does soften a bit at elevated temperature but it was still TOUGH to turn.

I called Loctite before attempting the disassembly and the lovely customer service lady told me heat and force were the only two things that would loosen permanent threadlocker.

I suppose that epoxy stripper (methyl ethyl ketone or methylene chloride would also do the trick but getting the solvent inside that tiny little joint would be really rough.---Marc

snuffy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MicroE said:

I suppose that epoxy stripper (methyl ethyl ketone or methylene chloride would also do the trick but getting the solvent inside that tiny little joint would be really rough.---Marc

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful using that stuff, it's death on most plastics. . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Abe,

I did the same exact thing on my first attempt at modding a KL1 so don't feel too bad. I learned that more heat will sufficiently soften the adhesive which I successfully used on my second KL1 mod.

CM

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
All right, I just took apart 4 E2e bezels today. one came apart by hand. The other three were successfully loosened by heating in a toaster oven at 200 degrees for 5 or 10 minutes. What I found to work best on the last two that needed heat was too pull them right out (wearing heavy leather gloves) then lightly blow on the ring that holds the lens on. Immediatly loosen it by alternatly twisting back and forth. I used a sharp bamboo skewer to remove the cruded up epoxy afterwards.

WArning - these were bare E2e bezels, DO NOT heat a KL1 this hot unless you are half crazy.