AAA-flashlight for keyring, $20-$25

brightSwede

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Yes, yet another "which flashlight should I buy" thread :cool:

I'm looking for a cheap EDC flashlight, which should fit on a keyring. The Fenix E1 was ideal, and is basically what I'm looking for. Too bad it was discontinued.

Are there any other options? I want a light with white(ish) light, AAA-battery, focus is not on brightness but decent runtime. E0 is perhaps an option, though it doesn't seem very bright.

I know that the E1 is still available through some stores, but with shipping added to Sweden, it will break the budget by quite a lot.

Is there perhaps something new around the corner?

best regards,
Magnus

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Hi!

Yes, yet another "which flashlight should I buy" thread :cool:

Magnus

.. even more distressing is the fact that it's another "which AAA...." light thread. First off, welcome to CPF. Over the last 60-days, there have been literally dozens and dozens AAA type threads. A very simple search would have yielded many hours worth of reading.

brightSwede

Newly Enlightened
Ok, sorry :rolleyes:

I know it is good practice to search for old threads, but I would also say that flashlight advice gets old very fast. Flashlights that were hot a couple of months ago may now be discontinued, and so on..

paulr

Flashaholic
Most of those other threads are seeking the most powerful aaa light available, instead of something sensible.

Anyway, the most popular light around here of the type brightSwede is asking for is the Arc AAA, which is $30 in the standard version. Brightness is probably about the same as the Fenix E0, around 6 lm, but with more traditional styling and it's made by a CPF regular. It really is enough for the way these lights are generally used, i.e. for near-distance illumination (close-up task lighting, or walking around indoors) when you're at least slightly dark-adapted when the usage is more than for a few moments. The Peak LED Matterhorn is basically similar to the Arc.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I just ordered a Fenix P1D CE Q5, so you can disregard this thread. :)
you won't be diasppointed with that Q5.

It can also run on RCRs, although you lose the lower settings. I would suggest you get an AAA LED as well. I EDC that new STREAMLIGHT single AAA. For a precision piece of engineering the ARC AAA-P is a proven classic. For about twice the money you could also consider the Fenix L0P AAA.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
So, I guess your $20-$25 requirement wasn't really a requirement to begin with? I give you credit. I've never been able to narrow it down that quickly when trying to decide on a new type of light. Congratulations.

brightSwede

Newly Enlightened
Well.. it's true that it wasn't purely an economic issue. The P1D is perhaps a little big for a keychain light. In reality I was actually looking for two different lights.

I wanted one small (reasonably cheap) AAA-light (like E1) for keychain EDC use, and one brighter 1xCR123-light, which will probably be used/carried at least all days at work.

So you could still say that I'm still looking for that first small light :naughty:

cv3po

Banned
So, I guess your $20-$25 requirement wasn't really a requirement to begin with? I give you credit. I've never been able to narrow it down that quickly when trying to decide on a new type of light. Congratulations.

Right? If I'd known that I would have recommended the Fenix LOD-Q4 right off the bat. You killed both the $$ limit and the batt preference. I'd still recommend the LOD to be honest. On low you'll get many hours of useful output or with a quick twist huge output. Anyhoo, I hope the P1D works out for ya'. I still think you'd like the form factor of the LOD tho. Just my 2c

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
A $10 ripoff of a $5 Dorcy from WalMart? Might as well get the $5 Dorcy from WalMart.

I looked up Dorcy and on their website they make flashlights for many hardware store chains.

dorcy.com said:
Dorcy International, located in Columbus, Ohio, Rickenbacker foreign trade zone Dorcy is the leading manufacturer and distributor of flashlights and lanterns in the U. S. Dorcy is the fastest growing of the flashlight companies and includes Sears, Kmart, Wal-Mart, and most major retail chains as customers. Dorcy has been in the flashlight business for 35 years and is privately owned.

So, it could be a Dorcy but sold under the ACE Brand Name.

ACE also gives a LIFETIME WARRENTY on all their products.

Oh', I don't know if this matters or not, but there is a U.S. Patent number on the ACE 1 AAA LED Flashlight though.

Doesn't that have to count for something?