Dereelight CL1H V3.0 - runtime & regulation

CandleFranky

Enlightened
Hello,

I have interest in the DereeLight CL1H 3.0 Q5 2SD. But I don't like the runtime, which can be seen on Light-Reviews.com, because the output drops fast. Unlike the older DereeLight CL1H 2.0 Version, which seems to be perfectly regulated. It gives nearly a constant full output over two hours.

Question: Is the regulation of the 2.0 version better then 3.0? I would expect the newest product to be the best. Does the 2SM version have a better regulation?

Every information is welcome. Thank you.
CandleFranky

qadsan

Newly Enlightened
The Digital series lights / modules (1SD, 2SD, 3SD, DI) use a more expensive chip with better regulation than the Multi Power versions (1SM, 2SM). I believe something was wrong with the 2SD module on the CL1H 3.0 they were testing because the graph should have been much flatter. Also, all the other graphs that I've seen for the 2Sd and 3SD modules look as expected with nice flat regulation unlike the graph posted in this review. The review you linked to even mentions that their review sample might be faulty.

The DBS and CL1H use the same pill (same electronics) with the only differences being an o-ring and an isolated washer. There are plenty of runtime graphs of the DBS with SD modules you can check out to get a better idea of what to expect for regulation and run times since they should be exactly the same as a CL1H 3.0. Here's a few runtime graphs I quickly found via the search feature, but I know there are more to found.

http://lightreviews.info/dereelight_dbs/review_2sd.html

see graphs in post #1
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173652

see post #59 from WadeF
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173652&page=2

CandleFranky

Enlightened
The Digital series lights / modules (1SD, 2SD, 3SD, DI) use a more expensive chip with better regulation than the Multi Power versions (1SM, 2SM). I believe something was wrong with the 2SD module on the CL1H 3.0 they were testing because the graph should have been much flatter.
qadsan, thank you very much. Your answer was helpful. :thumbsup:
Do you think, that the CL1H V3.0 3SD has a better regulation then the 2SD? What reflector would you choose? SMO or OP? :confused:

qadsan

Newly Enlightened
I believe the 2SD and 3SD have the same regulation. I prefer the 3 mode because I use the two lower levels more than the high, but I can see why some people would only want 2 or even just 1 mode. In regards to the SMO or OP reflectors, I always try to buy both when buying a new light or module. However, I usually prefer the SMO in the real world for outdoor use (rings aren't bad enough in this module to bother me in real world), but I prefer the OP on white walls (no rings like SMO), or when used in confined areas, etc. I know there are people who prefer the OP, but I'm just glad we have choices with this module (many other brands of modules don't give you this choice). It's only $4 to get a different Dereelight reflector and my recommendation would be to get both so you can decide for yourself. Or look at as many beamshots as you can find and try to pick the one that suits you best.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

I have interest in the DereeLight CL1H 3.0 Q5 2SD. But I don't like the runtime, which can be seen on Light-Reviews.com, because the output drops fast. Unlike the older DereeLight CL1H 2.0 Version, which seems to be perfectly regulated. It gives nearly a constant full output over two hours.

Question: Is the regulation of the 2.0 version better then 3.0? I would expect the newest product to be the best. Does the 2SM version have a better regulation?

Every information is welcome. Thank you.
CandleFranky
As others have pointed out there was something wrong with the Q5 2SD that Light-Reviews.com tested.

However... Please keep in mind you will not get constant output for over two hours at max brightness with any of the current "Digital" pills from Dereelight. They have increased the current to the LED to 1.2A in the latest SD / ID "pills" at Max. Dereelight says you can get ~90 minutes off a 2400mAH 18650 with the LED at 1.2A.

The SD / ID pills have better regulation than the SM pills if you are running 18650s. If you want >2 hours run time get the 3SD Q5 and use the medium (50%) setting.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think, that the CL1H V3.0 3SD has a better regulation then the 2SD? What reflector would you choose? SMO or OP? :confused:
They have the same regulation. :grin2:

I chose the 3SD because Medium (50%) will give much better run time than High (100%) without being that much visibly dimmer. :naughty:

It's only an extra $3.50 for the "spare" SMO reflector if order the CL1H with the OP, so get both. :twothumbs That's what I did. :cool:

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
The runtime on this light is what I find (most) impressive.
I didn't do any scientific studies or anything but I couldn't discern a drop in brightness for the first 3 hours into a run, after 4 it was clearly dimmer though.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The runtime on this light is what I find (most) impressive.
I didn't do any scientific studies or anything but I couldn't discern a drop in brightness for the first 3 hours into a run, after 4 it was clearly dimmer though.
Which "pill" and what batteries are you running to get that kind of lifetime?

Ned-L

Enlightened
. :naughty:

It's only an extra $3.50 for the "spare" SMO reflector if order the CL1H with the OP, so get both. :twothumbs That's what I did. :cool:
I also ordered both reflectors when I ordered my CL1H 3SD. It is a great deal and really only $3 extra for both. Check out www.dereelight.com. It is $82 with one reflector or $85 with both reflectors. I just received my light on Saturday. I tested it out Saturday evening with the SMO reflector while mountain biking for a little while after it got dark. The spot is so bright with the SMO that it seemed to make the spill not appear bright enough. I put the OP reflector in today and it seems like the spot is not quite as pronounced.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's because the smo reflector is $3.00 and the OP is $3.50. You can get the light with either reflector installed(your choice). If you get the light with OP and add a smo it's $85(82 + 3). If you get it with smo and add a op it's $85.50(82 + 3.50). Edit: updated prices- smo $4.00, op $5.00

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's because the smo reflector is $3.00 and the OP is $3.50. You can get the light with either reflector installed(your choice). If you get the light with OP and add a smo it's $85(82 + 3). If you get it with smo and add a op it's $85.50(82 + 3.50)
FWIW, that is certainly not what it says here. :whistle:

CL1H V3 with 2SD/3SD(2/3-stage digital) CREE XR-E Q5 module: USD82 free shipping by EMS

then later in the same post

add $3.5 for SMO or $5 for OP reflector

then further down the same post

Optional Smooth reflector USD4.
Spare OP reflector USD5.

Oh well, it's only $.50... :eek:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Stereodude, I must have missed the change(increase). It was like that when I ordered it. Sorry about that, I didn't mean to post out of date information. Edited previous post.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Stereodude, I must have missed the change(increase). It was like that when I ordered it. Sorry about that, I didn't mean to post out of date information.
You're still partially right in that you can get get both reflectors with an CL1H v 3.0 for $85 on their site. And of course depending how you order it you could pay anywhere from $85.50 to $87.00 for it via Dereelight's thread.