CMG Reactor question

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Hi again guys. I've had a CMG Reactor for a few weeks now which has not seen much use, but I just noticed something and I wanted to ask if this is normal.

Okay, I'm referring to the knurled polymer piece at the base of the head (not the smooth part with the CMG logo). Is it supposed to rotate separately from the head? It's not loose and does not rotate freely until I move it myself, but if I want to click the light to the "on" position, I actually have to turn the head by the part with the CMG logo. Is that normal? Am I making any sense? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cosmic

I assume that you're talking about the Reactor III.

I turn the knurled piece at the bottom of the head to the right or left to turn it on. The head doesn't rotate at all.

If it appears to be broken, return it to the dealer or CMG and you'll get a replacement. When I received my original III, it didn't turn on and I mailed it to CMG.

I got a working model about 2 weeks later. I'm very happy with it now.

Marty

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Marty, actually it's the 2AA Reactor. I can rotate the knurled polymer part left and right and completely around and it will turn the light on, but it just won't click the light into the "on" position unless I rotate the actual head. When I rotate the head and feel the "on" click, I can still rotate the knurled part without turning the light off.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read somewhere on the board today that a Flashaholic sent off a regular Reactor for replacement and received a III to replace it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Marty

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Yep, that was I. I called CMG and talked to someone named Jimmy. Turnaround time was around 10 workdays.

At first I was kinda upset I got a III instead of the regular model because I wanted to keep lithiums in it, but I just came in from my nightly photon emitting session and I think I'll keep it.

--Chris

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Saunterer, did your Reactor have the same issue as mine?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've got several Reactors, and I haven't busted any of them yet. I'm pretty sure the whole head turns, not just that knurled part near the base.

I just screwed with a Reactor 2 (early version, but with switch fix that has detents for both "on" and "off") and yes, the whole head turns as one piece.

I have a Reactor 3 as well, but I don't know where I put it so I can't check that for you.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Superchunk,

Nope. I sent it back due to (as Craig would say) "green-urine-colored" LS. The Reactor III that was returned to me is white with a little violet around the edges when up close to the wall.

I'd definately call them for a replacement.

--Chris