New and wondering my limits...

mfuller30127

Newly Enlightened
I have come to love flashlights...

And I currently have this...

Flashlight_product_selux2aa3w-b.jpg

It is amazing to me and shines quite far for the price and size.

However, I want you guys to tell me what flashlights, if any, can do much better? I know there has to be more since this came from walmart.

I also have a 3LED minimaglight that is almost as good as the one above.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Just read the posts my friend. You will learn plenty. Lots of respected brands to read about here. I've listed some below. Read and Just have fun. Welcome to CPF!

Surefire
Tiablo
Fenix
Olight
Wolfeyes
Myshondt Nautilus
Photon--Proton Pro
LumaPower
Dereelight
HDS
Novatac

Bill

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are many other lights that will give you more output for a similar price. Look at the Cree/Seoul/Rebel section of Dealextreme for lights getting good reviews. For example, this light has the same output as the Maglite 4D. Shipping will take a month though.

And for a higher price, you can get even better products(Not necessarily brighter, usually better quality and warranty, the above list has many of the companies).

But for a store bought light, that is a pretty good deal. If you drop in a current gen LED, you will get double the output. This is because the current gen LEDs have double or more the efficiency of the previous LEDs(same power, double or more output). Current gen LEDs, Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin, Seoul P4 U-bin(Good replacement for a Luxeon LED), and Luxeon Rebel 80 and Rebel 100. Previous gen LEDs, Luxeon I, III, V and K2.

What would you like in your next light?

Price?
Output?
Quality?
Batteries?
Size?
Multimode?
Throw or Flood?

Also check out the Welcome Mat.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Hitthespot has a good list going. I might just and that modified Maglites are usually a huge step up in performance compared to what most people are used to seeing. The ROP or Mag11 are greet starters.

mfuller30127

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I can obtain any kind fo battery, whichever will give me strongest output.

Brightness output and range are the two thigns I'm interested in.

Honestly what I'm wanting is a light that will blast the pitch black with full color and not just right in front of me, but say 100 degrees out. Also, I want to be able to focus it so i can see VERY far. And as always, affordable... like $50 or less.

Thanks guys... I feel at home!

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I can obtain any kind fo battery, whichever will give me strongest output.

Brightness output and range are the two thigns I'm interested in.

Honestly what I'm wanting is a light that will blast the pitch black with full color and not just right in front of me, but say 100 degrees out. Also, I want to be able to focus it so i can see VERY far. And as always, affordable... like $50 or less.

Thanks guys... I feel at home!
Good luck! There are very few focusable lights. You're best bet is probably a Maglite with a high output LED drop-in that maintains the ability to focus.

jugg2

Enlightened
Sounds like you might want to look into an aspheric lens. Do some searches on that. They will spread the light out evenly, but when focused to spot they will trow the light a long way.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Focus might be the problem. Also, most of the lights in that category use the 18650 Li-ion battery(cheaper protected ones, cheap charger) or CR123/RCR123(cheaper protected RCR123 batteries) batteries.

The Cree Q5 LED is one of the most efficient and brightest LEDs available right now.

HAIII(FYI no such thing as HAII) means it has a thicker layer of anodizing and is much more scratch resistant. HAIII meas Type III anodizing and Hard Anodizing.

Choices for just lots of output(All should throw 100 meters, multi LED ones, great way to start with a bang ;)):

Romisen RC-T5(black version, I heard they are sold out at the moment)
MX Power

Single LED throwers(100+ meters):

3W Cree Projection
WF-600
WF-800
Aurora 600 Q5
Aurora 800 Q5

Good throwers(Smaller size)

Ultrafire C2
(HAIII version, Q5 version)
K2U 3W Cree
WF-400(multi-voltage version)
Conqueror M-C1
U2-Style 3W CREE
Lumapower D-mini

I would go with one of the multi LED lights above or a smaller light in the last list.

An aspheric mod might be around that price range and will give you a good focusing ability and really good throw when focused.

mfuller30127

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm....

Well you guys have me believing that I can get an aspheric lens and a high end LED and make my mini led maglite become magic.

True?

The light I have is only 80 lumens, so I imagine 150+ being incredible... although there are some modded 4000 lumen ones.CRAZY!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You are seeing around 50 lumen. 80 is at the emitter and light gets lost between the reflector and window.

An aspheric lens won't work as well with a minimag(well, first thing would have to be finding one that would work in a minimag). Works better with a 2-6 cell maglite.

Just wondering but why do you want the light to be able to focus, won't a multilevel light also work(unless you need a floody light of course).

mfuller30127

Newly Enlightened
I don't NEED it by any means... it just seems to work well on my maglite. But Hell, If I can get a long range on a small light, I'm settled with no focus. Something, modded or not, around 200 lumens with lots of throw would satisfy me... FOR NOW. =]

rtt

Enlightened
:welcome:Hope you enjoy your stay. You can learn a lot here.