getting ready to order, need some advice

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I'm getting ready to order my wife and I new flashlights for work and play. We'll be using them at work (a prison) so I need the low settings for count and high for perimeter work. We'll also be using these lights when we go hiking/camping. Anyway, I currently have an Inova T4 (old version with lens instead of reflector) and need to know how these lights would compare to it. For her, I'm looking at this http://www.batteryjunction.com/xxx-tactical-m1.html and for me I'm looking at http://www.batteryjunction.com/specialedition-mrv.html My question is how would these two lights compare in output to the T4 as well as to each other. If there isn't enough real world difference between the two I just as well stick with just buying two of the cheaper lights rather than springing for the more expensive light for myself. Should add that both will be running with 18650s with a back up set of CR123As.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Don't know what happened there. I had that broken into two paragraphs and laid out so it was easy to read but posted and it all went to heck.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd add the Dereelignt CL1H and DBS as an option. Both will be easily upgradeable when the newer LEDs come.

How does it compare?

Well, the T1 has around 1700 Lux throw according to FLR.

The Fenix L2D-CE has close to 3000 Lux on turbo(The Q5 version would be even brighter).

The Fenix T1 has around 7700 lux on high.

The M1(Cree P4) has at least 4700 Lux with the textured reflector and.

The CL1H has around the same as the T1 and the DBS has 2000 Lux on low and 11000 on high(Textured reflector, 2SD module, 4000 lux low and 29000 lux high)

So in short, the will all outperform the T4 in both throw and output(Along with a bunch of other lights). Well, the T1 won;t work with a 18650 battery(neither will the L2D, just thrown in for comparisons). You will need the slightly dimmer 2SM module in order to use 2 CR123 batteries.

Also check the reviews section for more measurement and thoughts. Like this one and this one.

Last edited:

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
Hello birdofprey. I too am a Corrections Officer. For my work I have been using a Surefire G2 with a tactical head and a Cree Q5 drop in (from ebay, item number: 150183846290 - from same seller as I purchased through). I have to say that the output is easily double the stock G2 bulb, bright enough that a fellow coworker asked me to order one for him as well. My only con with this bulb is aside from removing the outer spring, you have to have it lined up exactly right or the light sometimes does not come on. But when lined up, it is 100% trouble free (something to do with the springs?) I have since purchased/ordered a Fenix T1 because of the low and high power functions. It has not arrived just yet, so I cannot say how it will work. Then I have a Malkoff M60 high output drop in that is made for the Surefire G2/G2Z/G3/6P/9P/C2/C3/Z2/Z3 and D3 models. I plan on putting the Malkoff in a 6P defender and using it for work. From my understanding, much much more output in both throw and spill. The throw is good for as you mentioned perimeter checks and lighting up and enitire unit in its length and the spill and great for cell checks/counts. The brightness, HIGH lumen output is also good to temporarily disorientate a potential attacker. I know that the cheapo cree Q5 I am using in my G2 makes alot of the inmates step back and put their hand up to cover their faces, along with various choice words. So my suggestion... either a Surefire G2 with the above mentioned item number or a Surefire 6P with a Gene Malkoff M50 high output frop in. malkoffdevices.com

Good luck!

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I really like that DBS. Seems like it may be a better light than what I was looking at for myself as well as cheaper. Would I be better off with the DBS or the MRV? Anyone have any first hand experience with those two lights?

Thanks for the info you two. Helpful.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The DBS has much more throw(and a narrower beam) then the MRV. Great outdoors but bad indoors. I don't have first had experiences, but from what I've read, the DBS is a much better thrower but the MRV has a slightly better all purpose beam(I would pick neither for indoors work, too narrow a beam).

I'm guessing prison work would require more of a medium sized to floody hotspot. I that is true, then I'd get the CL1H with a OP reflector. It is smaller too.

You might have to order two lights if you want both good throw and also one with a good sized hotspot.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting ready to order my wife and I new flashlights for work and play. We'll be using them at work (a prison) so I need the low settings for count and high for perimeter work. We'll also be using these lights when we go hiking/camping. Anyway, I currently have an Inova T4 (old version with lens instead of reflector) and need to know how these lights would compare to it. For her, I'm looking at this http://www.batteryjunction.com/xxx-tactical-m1.html and for me I'm looking at http://www.batteryjunction.com/specialedition-mrv.html My question is how would these two lights compare in output to the T4 as well as to each other. If there isn't enough real world difference between the two I just as well stick with just buying two of the cheaper lights rather than springing for the more expensive light for myself. Should add that both will be running with 18650s with a back up set of CR123As.

All the lights you are looking at will be much brighter than the Inova T4. In my opinion, there are no real bad choices between a Lumapower M1 or the lights the others here have recomended. As for the MRV SEQ5, I think I would save the money and buy the Tiablo A8Q5. I have had both, and the Tiablo will be brighter when running on an 18650. I would love to have a DBS, the only thing that puts me off is that I do not know of an American distributer that carries them and backs their warrenty.

If you buy something from Batteryjunction and have a problem...MattK and team will quickly make it right. With the DBS, you might be paying for a trip across the ocean. But it most likely is the brightest of all the throwers... just something to consider.

Zenster

Enlightened
I really like that DBS. Seems like it may be a better light than what I was looking at for myself as well as cheaper. Would I be better off with the DBS or the MRV? Anyone have any first hand experience with those two lights?

Thanks for the info you two. Helpful.

I've got the newest DBS w/2SD module, the newest MRV-SE (265+ lumens claimed) and the newest CL1H w/3SD module.

The DBS on 18650 performs just a smidgeon better than the MRV on 18650, but with CR123's, the MRV is on par with the DBS for performance.
That's my personal observation from owning them both and making side by side comparisons.
The problem for you is that you say that you have a need to be able to use both 18650 and CR123 batteries (as backup), and the DBS with digital pill can NOT be used with CR123's or you damage the module from the higher voltage.

On the other hand, the MRV can use either type of battery interchangeably, but it is not equal to the DBS when run with the 18650 battery so if you want the best brightness performance from the MRV, you'd have to use CR123's all the time ($$$).

I like both lights for my own reasons and use them both a lot, but in your case, you're trying to settle on just one for your on-duty light.
You don't say exactly why you "need" to be able to use CR123's as backup, so I'll guess two different scenarios:
1. The 18650 battery in your light goes dead and you want to carry a backup set of CR123's, or;
2. You want to be able to run CR123's for a longer period of time if facility power goes down and you can't recharge.

My guess is that your desire for CR123 use is scenario #1, but all you need to do there is to carry one or two spare fully charged 18650's with you instead of CR123's.

On the other hand, if scenario #2 is your reason, then you are going to either have to go with the MRV because it will handle both types of batteries even though it is best optimised for use with CR123's, OR, you can get the DBS with digital module and also get a spare 2SM module with it that will work with CR123's as well as the 18650 battery.
But like the MRV, the DBS/2SM module is best run with CR123's rather than 18650's so what you can do is run the DBS with digital module most of the time, and when the power goes down and you can't recharge, it takes no longer to change out the module than it does to change batteries.

The MRV is still a fine light even when run with 18650's, plus, you will soon (next week or so) be able to get the M-65 extension tube with it that will make the light a little longer, but allow you to use 2x18650's instead of the standard one for some hellacious runtimes.

My personal choice in your situation would be to go with the DBS and 3SD module for use with 18650's only, then get the optional 2SM module that you can keep in a drawer as your CR123 option (that you may never need).
Then, get the Tiablo holster as shown in the bottom of the first post here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=168357
which will not only carry the DBS, but allow you to carry two extra charged 18650 batteries with you.
A DBS with three 18650's, and with the available lower light settings afforded with the 3SD module, will take you through pretty much any situation.
I'm thinking that if that rig isn't enough to get you through a shift, you don't need more light, you need more bullets. :devil:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Dereelight 1S, 2SD and 3SD P60 assembles running off 1x18650 and can attest to the usefulness of multiple modules. Also, you can improve the spill of any of the Dereelight assemblies by using an OP (Orange Peel) reflector, if need be.

Last edited:

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I've got the newest DBS w/2SD module, the newest MRV-SE (265+ lumens claimed) and the newest CL1H w/3SD module.

Wow... very helpful post. I may just go with the MRV and be done with it. You say it is still much brighter than the T4 on an 18650? Would the Tiablo holster work for it? I really like the way it allows the storage of two extra 18650s. That would be great out on a night of hiking/geo caching.

Zenster

Enlightened
Wow... very helpful post. I may just go with the MRV and be done with it. You say it is still much brighter than the T4 on an 18650? Would the Tiablo holster work for it? I really like the way it allows the storage of two extra 18650s. That would be great out on a night of hiking/geo caching.

I've never had a T4 so I can't help you with a comparison there, but the MRV is right on par with the other lights of it's class.
Based on the reflector size and design alone, and then the fact that the MRV uses the Q5, I'd be really skeptical that the T4 could keep up with the MRV, especially if you're using the M-65 Extension tube and two 18650's.

If you want to end up with just one light, then the MRV might be your best choice if only because of the options of using the different batteries, plus being able to use it with the extension tube.
And oh yea, the Tiablo holster will work with any of the lights in this class, including the MRV, and you can probably even use that holster with the extension tube in place on the MRV since the tail end just hangs out the bottom whatever it's length.

Then again, being as you are a CPF member, I highly doubt if you'll end up with only "one" light. :)

Last edited: