Recommend me a 1AA EDC for <$60

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
Hey everybody,

I'm new to this whole flashlight thing and I need some guidance. Assume I know nothing, because everything I know, I learned two hours ago.

I'm looking for a sturdy, compact EDC that runs on 1AA cell. I prefer AA because of its availability.
A holster that comes with the light is ideal, but a pocket clip will work as well.
I have no use for strobe or SOS functions and I would prefer a simple on/off or low/high/off switch. I don't want to click through five output levels every time I have to turn the light on and off.
I value runtime over output, so the brightest LED is not important.
Water resistant is a plus, but that seems to be standard.

So far I'm considering a Fenix L1D CE, LumaPower LM31, and Olight T15. Please comment on these lights or recommend me another. I'm willing to pay for quality, but the $30-$40 range is a real sweet spot for me. These are my initial thoughts:

The Fenix looks good, but it has all those output modes I don't need. Maybe there's a way to just turn it on and off at the same output every time?

The LumaPower looks like just the thing, and it has that nice "orange-peel" reflector. Only downside I can see is that it doesn't appear to have "digitally controlled" output.

The Olight appears to be a step up from the LumaPower, but like the Fenix it seems to have a bunch of output modes. Another upside to the LM31 is that the T15 is digitally controlled. However, it does not come with a holster, nor a pocket clip.

So which fits my needs the best? How important is "digitally controlled" output?

Thanks,
Tycho

Marduke

Flashaholic
the Fenix operates just like a 2-mode light. You never have to go through the modes if you don't want. It always comes on in either low or turbo, depending on if you have the head tightened.

You may also want to consider the L1T

Also, with any high power light, you'll want to use NiMH over alkaline

kilgor

Enlightened
LRI Proton Pro. Fits everything you have said. Will run for 250 hours on the lowest setting. Slim profile 1AA with a good pocket clip. Easy user interface. Is pretty bright with a Cree led. Waterproof. Great warranty by an American company.

Look at this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182920

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix is pretty easy to use, along with the Olights. You probably never have to see SOS if you don't want to. Heck, you don't even have to see any other modes other then low and turbo if you don't want to. Click for on, click for off. Tap the tailcap/Switch on-off-on within 2 seconds to change modes.

There is a 8% off coupon for CPFers at Fenix Store, "CPF8".

The Proton Pro also seems to be a good choice.

If you can find one, the Fenix L1T V2.0(Not the Luxeon III version) would also fit your description well.

The LM31 uses a resistor for low mode, which isn't as efficient as a regulator that the Fenix and Olight use but should work fine, and is lower then either light.

The L1T V2.0 would probably best fit your needs but those are being produced anymore.

:welcome:

zulu45

Enlightened
If you want something that costs less, something that you don't have to worry about damaging, the Nuwai X-1. It can be found at Target easily, branded under the name River Rock. Not the best with alkalines (though still good) but great with NiMH.

One catch, some are thicker, and can get stuck, but the Sanyo Eneloops are perfect for it.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most everything mentioned here is a reverse click switch. While vastly more common most users prefer a tactical or forward click switch with momentary available from the start. Only recently have some manufacturers finally started listening to our call for this type of switch. Most available before now were fairly expensive customs or Surefire in some models (also expensive relatively and over your budget in most models). But there are now some like Nitecore DI that has a forward clicky and some fairly inexpensive Chinese lights (Romisen has several) that are forward click. While you didn't mention this point I think you'll eventually see their is a big difference and I for one have realized just how much I miss the forward click tactical type switch after a couple recent purchases with them. I do think the Olight is a great light but it's reverse clicky too. I've given up on Fenix - nice lights in many ways but they are ignoring the rechargeable batteries that just don't work right in any of their CR123 based lights since you lose the ability to have different light levels with rechargeables - even the 3 volt rechargeables don't work well. Rechargeables are good for the environment and I like many have gone to using them almost exclusively. That however may not be a concern for you if you go with a AA Fenix that does NOT use the Li-Ion higher voltage cells.

kilgor

Enlightened
Most everything mentioned here is a reverse click switch. While vastly more common most users prefer a tactical or forward click switch with momentary available from the start. Only recently have some manufacturers finally started listening to our call for this type of switch. Most available before now were fairly expensive customs or Surefire in some models (also expensive relatively and over your budget in most models). But there are now some like Nitecore DI that has a forward clicky and some fairly inexpensive Chinese lights (Romisen has several) that are forward click. While you didn't mention this point I think you'll eventually see their is a big difference and I for one have realized just how much I miss the forward click tactical type switch after a couple recent purchases with them. I do think the Olight is a great light but it's reverse clicky too. I've given up on Fenix - nice lights in many ways but they are ignoring the rechargeable batteries that just don't work right in any of their CR123 based lights since you lose the ability to have different light levels with rechargeables - even the 3 volt rechargeables don't work well. Rechargeables are good for the environment and I like many have gone to using them almost exclusively. That however may not be a concern for you if you go with a AA Fenix that does NOT use the Li-Ion higher voltage cells.

I agree that forward clicky is prefered, but he wants <$60. I have and personally carry a Nitecore, but it's $86 delivered. Also, he puts an emphasis on long runtime so that eliminates a lot of others. He has no use for strobe, nor must it be the brightest so He doesn't appear to want a "tactical" flashlight. So a reverse clicky probably isn't a deal breaker.

That's why I suggested the Proton Pro. It seems to be exactly what he is describing.

CanadianEh

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Fenix L1D and Olight T15. Both are great lights, but I prefer the Fenix because it's slightly smaller and easier for me to change modes one-handed. Around the house I use both, but the Fenix is the one that's in my jacket when I leave (along with a few others, of course :devil:).

Burgess

Flashaholic
to tychoseven --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums.

:welcome:

The Fenix L1D-CE is a fine choice for you.

Don't be afraid of its "multiple modes". :)

I myself have no need for strobe or S-O-S mode, so i simply never use 'em.

You can have yer' L1D-CE set (via the head "tightness")
to "come on" in either LOW mode, or TURBO mode.

-- Click the tailcap button, and the light turns ON.

-- Click the tailcap button again, and the light turns OFF.

It's really that easy. If you don't want the other settings, just don't use 'em.

Oh, if you wanna' use the brighter settings, you really should use a more powerful battery.

Either the Energizer Lithium (L-91) cell, or else use rechargeable NiMH's.

This Fenix comes with a fine holster (included).

Good luck in your search. :candle:

Enjoy your new flashlight !

_

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either the Lumapower LM31 or the Photon Pro - both great lights. The LM31 beam is smoother, the Photon is smaller with a side mounted switch. Both run a long time on a battery. The Photon is perhaps slightly more versatile with it's wide adjustment range, the LM31 is easier for me to handle with it's rear clickie. Both will serve you well.

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the L1D-CE. It's got great regulation and runtime, plus, down the road if you want, you can buy the 2AA body for it, (which turns it into a L2D-CE), which will be brighter and double the runtime.

Bill

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input, everybody. At this time yesterday, I had no idea there were this many factors to take into account when choosing a light.

While the "tactical" lights have their draw, they aren't what I need right now. And I wouldn't insist on AA for a tactical light.
I would prefer a forward clicky to a reverse, but it's not a deal-breaker.
I should have mentioned that I prefer a tailcap switch. Sorry Photon Pro.

If I were getting the Fenix (L1T or L1D) should I also get the textured reflector? Is it worth the extra $10? I like the sound of increased spill at the expense of hotspot intensity.

Thanks,
Tycho

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Luxeon III L1T comes with a smooth reflector, no choice. Also dimmer then the L1T V2.0 and L1D.

The Luxeon Rebel 80 L1T V2.0 comes with a textures reflector, I don't think you can choose on this one either.

The L1D-CE Q5 comes with the smotth reflector, which will give a slightly dimmer ring around the hotspot, not noticeable in use.

So your choice if you want to spend $10 for a smoother beam with a bit less throw. Spill would remain the same(spill is usually the light not captured by the reflector so the texturing of the reflector shouldn't really affect the brightness of the spill).

Don't forget the 8% off coupon if ordering from Fenix Store.

Which ever one you choose to buy, I hope you like it.