Streamlight Clip-Mate

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I just picked up a Streamlight Clip-Mate today from a military outfitter here next to Ft Benning, GA. Very nice little light and very useful too. I wanted to get the green LED version, but they've been a popular item with the troops here and have been flying off the shelves, so I had to get the white LED instead. Light output is good and with the Panasonic AAA batteries that were included, it's about as bright as my PT Attitude, except it has a bit of a violet tint compared to the Attitude. Anyway, when I popped the clip off of the unit a little O-ring fell out from the back. I popped the clip back on with and without the tiny O-ring and I don't notice any difference in the clip's retention, so what's the O-ring for then?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Oops, I've popped the clip off of mine several times (it's still new) and unless I missed that little o'ring "escaping"...I've not noticed any difference either.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

pec50

Enlightened
I had made the assumption that it was intended to create a compression fit that would provide some additional resistance particularly when walking/jogging or as the plastic wears.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Pec50, you're right. I did some checking around and I found Quickbeam's review of a similar light called the "Ultra Bright LED Clip Light". I also see that the Clip Light reviewed by Quickbeam looks alot like the Nightbuster Clipper 3. Anyway, in his review he mentions that there is a very small O-ring which goes inside the socket to give some resistance to the motion of the clip joint. Personally, I cannot detect any resistance with or without the O-ring, but at least I know what it's for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I really like this little Streamlight Clipmate. It comes in very handy especially when you need both hands to do a task. It comes with a headband and lanyard like the ones found on cameras, but there is no lanyard aperture on this light so it has to go on the clip if you want to carry it around your neck. The beam is a little strange in that there are 3 legs that project outward from the centre spot. It appears to be a reflection of the LED bulbs themselves off of the shiny reflector, but it doesn't affect the usefullness of the actual light output. Overall, it's a nice little light that's bright, compact, easy to operate, and very affordable. I only wish it had a lanyard aperture so I could carry it around my neck without the clip, but that's no major issue. I assume these lights are made by the same Chinese manufacturer for Streamlight/Nightbuster and others, but they are good lights for the money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I put together a composite image below to demonstrate my point about the contacts that slide along the PCB surface to turn the light on and off. I think this method is used in many similar lights. In the larger image in the top left, you can see a dark arc showing the PCB wear caused by the fingers on the 3AAA battery cartridge.

I took the photos using a Kodak PalmPix camera mounted on a Palm M105 PDA through a magnifying glass to give it macro capability. Since the M105 is no longer being sold, I was able to get the PalmPix for Cdn$50 = US$34. Such a deal!

rs_ub.jpg

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks exactly like the light I reviewed that Cosmic mentioned, above:

http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/reviews/cliplight.htm

Yes, there are wear marks in the head, but they appear as minor friction marks. If it's a worry, get some of the radioshack teflon lube in the precision oiler container - I don't know the SKU. Put a little on the end of each of the battery carrier contact "fingers". It'll spread to the contacts on the board but won't affect the conductivity and should reduce the friction to just about 0.

I should have a green LED clipmate to review and compare fairly soon.