Rayovac sportsman old school

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
I just snagged a 3 d cell Rayovac Sportsman S33F on ebay for $23.00 , is it a good deal ? The price is not really that big a deal I just wanted it for the old school look .
43.jpg

ginaz

Enlightened
price is what you pay, value is what you get!

i like it. you don't see them like that anymore

bones_708

Enlightened
A little high, but what can you do, you're paying for the box. :nana:

Really it isn't bad if you want it for collecting/display. If for real use you could of found it cheaper.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light is working and the reflector is in good shape, that is not a bad price with the box.

I have a near mint 2C Sportsman that I love. Just some old school cool. Enjoy!

Mark

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
Its supposed to be mint in box , I will see for sure when it gets here the ebay said "Offering a great vintage RAY-O-VAC SEARCHLIGHT FLASHLIGHT from an estate in Kansas. We are downsizing and cleaning out attic and garage.

Featuring model S33F Sportsman flashlight in original box. A 1950s era item. Flashlight is minty....does not look like it was ever used. Brass plate attached to flashlight handle (see pic). End has metal loop. I did put batteries in, and flashlight DOES WORK. Condition is very good....no scratches/dent on metal....glass and bulb good. Box does show some minor shelf wear , A very nice vintage collectible " ooh mabey it has a glass lense intead of plastic .

Niteowl

Enlightened
The box looks early to mid seventies. Still a nice find.

I love the old chromies also. I have a 3D R-O-V Sportsman that's considerably older but nowhere as nice. It sits on the fireplace mantle with an old Big Beam spotlight. My favorites are the old chromie 2Cs.

Last edited:

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
I just got the eveready captain today and she is a little dim , but it looks cool , the rayovac sportsman should be hear any day .

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
How big is the reflector on one of those babies? Three inches? Bet that thing will throw, given the proper mods of course.

Looks really cool! Kind of makes me want one.

Boy, I don't want to start down that road...buying vintage flashlights...too addictive and expensive! :duck: :broke:

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
Well I got the rayovac sportsman and its sweet , it looks like it just came off the assembly line the box is a little worn but its nice , well time to put her on the shelf . it probably has a 3 inch glass lense its also a lot shorter than a 3 D cell mag .

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The only thing I never liked about older lights like that one (aside from the output) is the thin gauge metal - drop it once on a hard surface and it looks as though it were in a car accident...

Thank god for HAIII heavy gauge aluminum, LEDs, power regulators, basically everything that was introduced in the 35 years or so since that Sportsman...

But then you have to wonder what flashlights will be like 35 years from now; when you'll pick up a U2 or Titan on EBay for a few dollars as a "collectors item", because they perform so poorly compared to modern flashlights...

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, and if it's one of the cheaper thin gauge lights, the chrome would actually peal off as well. Or the chrome would wear thin and it would start to become a brass color.

I still like the old school lights though...reminds me of when I was a kid. :huh:

And hiluxxulih, I still want pics and beamshots! :poke:

JetskiMark

Enlightened
I just snagged a 3 d cell Rayovac Sportsman S33F on ebay for $23.00 , is it a good deal ? The price is not really that big a deal I just wanted it for the old school look .

So you are the one who out bid me on this light. Congratulations for paying too much. (I'm just kidding and I'm not bitter. I have way too many lights as it is.) I already have one of these with a very minor dent in the bezel (otherwise perfect) and I am looking for one in excellent condition.

I put a potted 1185 in mine and I am running three of AW's Li-Ion C cells sleeved in a piece of PVC pipe. I made a 1/2 C cell spacer out of a copper pipe plug. I also did the low resistance tail spring mod and put Deoxit on everything. The three inch reflector focuses the 1185 excellently. It throws a measured 240 yards with authority and could go farther. It positively blows away my Mag with a 5761, AW's Mag C Incan Driver & Li-Ions. It is brighter than those cheap "Million Candlepower" spotlights. It is a real sleeper.

If you could find the elusive parts, you would have fun if you performed the same mods. Everything is drop-in other than the tail spring mod. The light can be returned to stock in about a minute if desired. I can not imagine ever wanting to do that though.

Regards,
Mark

big beam

Enlightened
So you are the one who out bid me on this light. Congratulations for paying too much. (I'm just kidding and I'm not bitter. I have way too many lights as it is.) I already have one of these with a very minor dent in the bezel (otherwise perfect) and I am looking for one in excellent condition.

I put a potted 1185 in mine and I am running three of AW's Li-Ion C cells sleeved in a piece of PVC pipe. I made a 1/2 C cell spacer out of a copper pipe plug. I also did the low resistance tail spring mod and put Deoxit on everything. The three inch reflector focuses the 1185 excellently. It throws a measured 240 yards with authority and could go farther. It positively blows away my Mag with a 5761, AW's Mag C Incan Driver & Li-Ions. It is brighter than those cheap "Million Candlepower" spotlights. It is a real sleeper.
If you could find the elusive parts, you would have fun if you performed the same mods. Everything is drop-in other than the tail spring mod. The light can be returned to stock in about a minute if desired. I can not imagine ever wanting to do that though.

Regards,
Mark

Be carful with that Mark.I have a few of these rayovacs and the plastic peice that holds the lamp in place,can melt in place.I've done it with regular halogen lamps.

:rant:DON

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
I cant get beam shots , I cant figure this crazy computer photo sharing thing out , it even has a toilet paper type tube inside of it , I guess its to keep the batteries from rattling .