Help a cop pick a new flashlight

srt2fast4u

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys love the forum. Heres the deal I currently own a streamlight ultrastinger with 75,000 candlepower and on my belt i own a streamlight strion.

I am looking to try an LED flashlight thats similar size to my ultra stinger so when i am on a traffic stop i can stick it under my armpit. I am just alittle confused on the way the brightness is labeled. I want something brigh like my ultra stinger but something with a more directed light the ultra stinger I feel sprays to wide.

I appreciate all your help

GMoney

Newly Enlightened
I don't own any of the lights to be discussed but from a numerical standpoint....

Quikbeam review your light awhile back and the directed light (throw) was measured at 22k lux, and the brightness at approximately 140 lumens.

The leds closest to the stinger then according to selfbuilt's review would be the Deree DBS 24k lux, guessing around 140 lumens, and the Tiablo A9, 21k lux, and again guessing around 140 lumens.

The only led that will throw significantly more than what you have would be one with an aspherical lens (custom light).

Incandecent may be the way to go, but I don't know anything about those. Hope that helps.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A few questions might help narrow down the selection.

Price?
Size?
Output?
Batteries?
Beam pattern?
Runtime?
Multimode?
Stock or Modded?

If you want something with a narrow beam, look at the Dereelight DBS. One of the best single LED throwers available.

:welcome:

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
The Inova T4 has the least spill of any light I've seen and is commonly used by LEOs'.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a thread on another forum that stressed the need for spill for law enforcement... They showed beamshots in a back yard with about 6 different flashlights at a distance of maybe 30 yards, and only with the last flashlight (a 1300 lumen mag85), was enough to show a person standing about 15 feet to the side of the hot spot.

You might want to take a look at the beam of a G2L. Well, the Malkoff M60 also has some good, wide spill with a bright hotspot.

srt2fast4u

Newly Enlightened
Price? under$200
Size? well my ultra stinger is 11.75 doesnt need to be that long but not to short so that i can stick it under my arm pit while i am issuing someone information or reading paperwork
Output? as bright as my ultrastinger
Batteries? not sure what the difference is as long as rechargable
Beam pattern? more direct the ultra stinger spills alot
Runtime? as long as possible lol
Multimode? yes please
Stock or Modded well i am new to all this i want something i can charge and use i cant be in the woods looking for someone and have it fail

roymail

Enlightened
Multimode? yes please

Well, that changes things... the SF 6P or 9P w/Malkoff M60 is the one of the best suggestions here especially for a LEO. But, it's not multimode. Frankly, I'm not sure why you'd want to mess with it. :thinking:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight DBS seems to fit those descriptions pretty well. I would recommend the 2SM module with 2 AW's 18650 batteries and a charger.

If you are looking for no spill beam at all, you would probably have to modify a light with a lens to suit your needs.

sorgun

Newly Enlightened
Lumahunter MRV Digital SE, multilevel, very bright and your choise of primaries, 2x123A, 2xrcr123(16340), or 1x18650. IMO one of the best out there. Available from Battery Junction. Happy hunting :twothumbs

Regards
Gunnar

737mechanic

Newly Enlightened
What about the Pelican 7060, it is the light the LAPD had them build for what a cop needs based on the input and recommendations from cops. The nice thing about it is the dual switch and the fact that you will not need to remove the battery to recharge it. It is a little smaller than your ultra stinger but NOT so small that you can't put it under your arm.

I have seen these on ebay for about a 100 bucks new.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Agreed. The 7060 is a VERY nice flashlight. And, I'm able to put in under my arm with zero issues. Decent runtime and I'm able to hold onto it rather well.

-Steve

What about the Pelican 7060, it is the light the LAPD had them build for what a cop needs based on the input and recommendations from cops. The nice thing about it is the dual switch and the fact that you will not need to remove the battery to recharge it. It is a little smaller than your ultra stinger but NOT so small that you can't put it under your arm.

I have seen these on ebay for about a 100 bucks new.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. The 7060 is a VERY nice flashlight. And, I'm able to put in under my arm with zero issues. Decent runtime and I'm able to hold onto it rather well.

-Steve

LEO here as well and I second the Pelican 7060 I carry mine on duty and it fits under your arm great.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight DBS would be similar in output and throw to the Ultrastinger.

The 7060 wouls also be a good choice. I uses a cradle charger so you won't have to remove the battery to charge the battery. Though I don't think it throws as well as the DBS.