Surefire KROMA MODS???

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone done an Emitter swap in a Kroma?
I'm refering to the MAIN LED not the 3mm ones.
Has anyone replaced the TIR optic with a reflector?:popcorn::popcorn:

I just got one and the Beam has a few artifacts in it and is very purple in color.:sick2:
Any HOW-TO's on dissassembly?

I like it, but I feel some improvement could be made .:naughty:

:anyone:

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
DeFAB,

If you find anything out, please let us know here. I've been wanting to do the same thing to mine.... out with the Luxeon and optic replace with a SSC or Cree and a reflector.

I've heard of some mods, but you risk breaking the detents in the selector ring. Its still works, but the ring is just smooth instead of detents. Yikes! :oops:

Anyway, I'll do the same on my end. Thanks for the tip Greenie!

MSax

shinbone

Newly Enlightened
Cracking the seal is a PITA. I had the selector ring removed with no damage using some .0015", .002", .003" and .004" feeler gauges. The trick is to get the Smalley single-turn spiral retaining ring to sit deeper into its slot, then slip the feeler gauges between the selector ring and the aluminum body. I used a small pick tool made out of a thinned X-Acto #11 blade to depress the spiral retaining ring deeper into the slot in the body just enough to slip the thinnest feeler gauge in (you have to remove all feelers from the little case they come in). Once you have one feeler gauge inserted the next two-three are easy to slide in, then slide them evenly around the perimeter. This process prevents major damage to the selector ring and detent piece. Visit the Smalley website to see the mechanics of the retainer.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still cant get this damn thing apart. I wish those photos were still up! I really want to swap the LUX III for a Seoul USWOH and a Mcr20s. The main beam needs a lot of improvement in output and beam quality.....in my opinion.
I got the top window bezel off, but can't get the selector ring off. Does the ring absolutely have to come off?
How for do I have to take the head apart to get to the LUX III?

I just want to do a simple emitter swap!!!!!

shinbone

Newly Enlightened
I still cant get this damn thing apart. I wish those photos were still up! I really want to swap the LUX III for a Seoul USWOH and a Mcr20s. The main beam needs a lot of improvement in output and beam quality.....in my opinion.
I got the top window bezel off, but can't get the selector ring off. Does the ring absolutely have to come off?
How for do I have to take the head apart to get to the LUX III?

I just want to do a simple emitter swap!!!!!

The main bezel appears to be three pieces; the front lens retainer bezel, the middle electronics retaining bezel ring, and the rear selector/base unit. The rear selector ring needs to come off to gain enough real estate for your tools to grip onto the lower base in order to remove the middle bezel ring. The middle is the key, it allows access to the emitter and electronics. Without its removal it is impossible to remove the emitter and circuit board out the front without damaging something.

However, if you want to try just an emitter swap, then you may be able to gain access to the emitter with removal of only the front lens retaining bezel. There is a plastic (likely delrin) gear/tooth looking piece which retains the TIR lens and dresses up the 3mm leds. This piece fits under a lip on the middle bezel ring, it may be possible to gain access to the emitter by breaking this piece off and fabricating a new retention system that can either hold the TIR or a new reflector if you go that route. With the TIR out the emitter sits below, soldered to the circuit board, and should be a fairly straight-forward swap (remember to record the anode/cathode orientation).

I gave up simply due to risky heat requirements to penetrate the Loc-tite used, however I did not try brute strength using visegrips and leather pads. If you search You-Tube for "Surefire U2 Open" there is a video of one CPF member's technique for opening heads (I don't recommend his selector ring removal technique). There has been some discussion of the teeth of the vice grips penetrating the leather and other materials and scratching/gouging the head, so beware. Another practice with limited success is applying direct heat to the thread area using a pencil torch. The idea being a quick heat in a specific/controlled area and open the head quick enough to avoid prolonged/extreme heat damage to the internals. I simply could not rely on the tools I had at hand to attempt this. Another possibility is to freeze the head to attempt making the Loc-tite brittle.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice!! Tail standing would be nice!

While I like the size of the Kroma I though it would be cool to see these features in a Turbhead version......

I'm scared as hell to try to do this by hand and will first look into someone to do it on a lathe. Anyway...I'm looking at the threads on the Kroma (Main Body) part and they appear to be the same threads that go into the KT4 Turbohead:thinking: A bit less than a 1/4 of an inch would have to be removed from the KT4 but the Kroma Bezel SHOULD thread right into the modified KT4 Turbohead:eek::naughty:

Imagine that!!.....You would still keep the selector ring and have either a larger reflector or a Multi-emitter/reflector set up WITH a HIGH & LOW!!.....Along with whatever color LEDs for the RED/BLUE!!! How cool would that be?!?!

If anyone has any beat up KT4's they wanna part with for a reasonable price I'd be willing to try to do this....but all my current KT4's are in really good condition and it's definitly a commitment once the head gets shortened. :green:

Anyone have any ideas, please share. I think this could be a really cool mod.:naughty:

009-1.jpg

Last edited:

collector

Newly Enlightened
The KT-4 has is M-series, right ? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but can you screw in another M3 or something ?