Don't care for multi-mode lights?

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow CPFers,

When I first became addicted to flashlights (about a year ago) I was not a big fan of multi-mode lights. I can't really explain why, I guess I just thought it was simpler to go "click" on and "click" off as opposed to choosing a mode. After getting about 10 lights that were all on-off, I started considering a multi-mode light. I came up with a good analogy that inspired me to try one out despite my skepticism. I imagined that light from a flashlight was similar to sound coming from a television. Me wanting to only have on-off lights would be like saying I want a tv with only two volume options; mute and on. In some cases when I'm tired or it's late the volume may be too high for my liking. In some cases when I'm watching sports or something else the volume may be too low for the situation. Multi-mode volume made total sense to me, and so I thought it might make sense with light.

I was right! I didn't go out and buy a new light but instead bought a Nite-Ize mod for my minimag. It now gives me the option of high, medium, low, slow strobe and fast strobe. Although its just a minimag, its now made its way back into my life as an EDC in my left coat pocket. Previously it was sitting in my top drawer beside my socks. (exciting life :ironic:)

Anyways all this is meant to do is perhaps pop the bubble for those of you who aren't so crazy about multi-mode lights. (I'm assuming there are some of you out there) I was like that for awhile but have now seen the light. I suggest you at least try one before you assume they're not so great. Simplicity is nice, but so is versatility.

John

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different light level is good, I like them. But the extra blinking modes are what gets me, just useless and annoying.

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
Different light level is good, I like them. But the extra blinking modes are what gets me, just useless and annoying.

I'd have to agree however, I rarely go camping or hiking so it may never come in handy.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good analogy about the TV volume. I personally couldn't have just one mode. If I am waiting for a movie to start and I want to read the Tribute magazine or if I'm babysitting my nieces and I want to check on them while they are sleeping I would hate to have to use 80+ lumens:huh:. There are all kinds of situations that require low light at times and your batteries also go a lot further. Good for you for trying something new!

greenLED

Flashaholic
There's a fine line between useful extra levels and gimmicky settings. For most of my uses, 2 levels is plenty.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a fine line between useful extra levels and gimmicky settings. For most of my uses, 2 levels is plenty.

Exactly. After EDCing an A2...one level seems limiting, more than two seems overly complicated.

Regards,
Tempest

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

+1

:duck:However, if a light is able to keep the UI simple, I do welcome and embrace a multi-level light. :thumbsup: Which, IMHO, a few boards that accomplish this are: Waynes STFu in Data's SPY005, Wayne's new GDuP driver, George's Acorn driver for Milky (in the Gotham), Kevin's Piglet board, and RV7's 1AA board. All of these are KISS multi-level boards which I own and love! :)

john

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think both single level lights and multi-level lights have their places. The multi-level lights have the versatility and ability to make the battery(ies) last longer by selecting a low level, and the single level lights can be simpler and therefore might be less likely to have failures. I have both types of lights and see the value in both.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
I like two levels, bright and brighter. :twothumbs

No but seriously, I don't care for the multi modes especially the SOS and strobe modes. They are annoying as hell, and when cycling through the modes it gets confusing. When you click off momentarily by accident and need to click back on again the electronics steps you to the next mode, then you have to step through the modes.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened

I have to disagree with you, jzmtl, sorry. :nana: I find the strobe mode very useful. I guess it depends on an individual on how he perceive the usefulness of the strobe. I think the strobe mode is great for getting attention and ironically great for distracting too.
Strobe or blinking lights are the universal mode for a distress signal, thus it is well used among people who often goes outdoors and offshore. My brother was playing with my flashlight with strobe mode a passing cop saw the blinking light and came by to check what was going on. I also you this alot when I need to get someones attention in a crowd, I would just simply say over the cellphone, " just look look for a light..."
I don't recommend using the flashlight as a self defense weapon. (unless you are carrying a 6d maglite) But is a great tool to have when you are confronted with a "situation" at any darken place. When you shine a bright light in person's face the first few seconds he will totally see nothing, but then the eyes would start to adjust and adapt to the lighting condition. Although, the person still can't stare directly at the light source his eyes will be able to outline and "see" the area around the light source, so he will be able to see where you are and what you are doing. But with a high strobe, eyes will have a hard time adjusting to light setting, in short eyes will be confused brains too, giving you more advantage on what you will do next.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to use the SureFire Titan as an example of a multi-level light that is highly usable due to a great UI :D Hopefully we will start to see plenty more light using this kind of UI.

Regards,
Tempest

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multi modes? Multi MODES? Why you young whippersnappers are so spoiled with all these fancy modes and blinks and stuff. Why, when I was your age lights came with ONE mode and that was "off"! If you wanted "on" you paid extra and said thank you! Gol-dang punks and their fancy pants lights I tell you...

Groundhog66

Banned
Multi modes? Multi MODES? Why you young whippersnappers are so spoiled with all these fancy modes and blinks and stuff. Why, when I was your age lights came with ONE mode and that was "off"! If you wanted "on" you paid extra and said thank you! Gol-dang punks and their fancy pants lights I tell you...

:crackup:

Illum

Flashaholic
Exactly. After EDCing an A2...one level seems limiting, more than two seems overly complicated.

Regards,
Tempest

+1
I have a L0D-CE coming...I'll see if it fits on me:thumbsup:

EDIT: after using the L0d-CE for a bit...I think I'll stick with two staged lights :ohgeez:

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as a light offers true random-access between high and a truly LOW low, I don't care how many other levels it has -- as I never need to deal with them. The availability of those modes is not the problem, but the requirement of "skipping past" them in sequential UI's is irritating, I agree.

This is why the Fenix L1x variety, as head-twisting can be used to switch between high and low. Likewise with the two-stage twisty LF2, I have 1/4-turn for low (0.2%), 1/2 turn for high (100%). Many people bash that light for the confusing interface, but used as I described, it's quite simple. I never even touch the other features.

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
If I had to choose how many modes I would say 3; super-low, medium and super-high :grin2:.

For example, a 5 lumen low, 20 lumen medium, and 80 lumen high. According to human vision medium would be perceived as twice as bright as low, and high twice as bright as medium...correct?

Last edited: