Best EDC during nuclear war?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluoronator

Newly Enlightened
My understanding of a textbook nuclear attack goes something like this. First a single high altitude nuke will likely be detonated. This will probably be the largest weapon available to the enemy. It's purpose is to produce an electro-magnetic pulse which will induce a large voltage spike in conductive materials, frying most sensitive electronics. This pulse will extend much further that he light and sound of the blast meaning that most people won't know why everything seemed to stop working all the sudden. With the electronic infrastructure crippled, the next volley of weapons will meet much less resistance.
The thing to do if the lights go out is to turn on the transistor radio, and if it works, see if any stations are on the air. If there are brodcasts, no nuclear attack... if they are not, take cover!
Now... I assume my old fashion Mag light will be fine since there are no sensitive electronics to damage by the pulse, which would be similar to a static discharge. But what about my CREE Q5? Will it's driver be dead? Will it's aluminum housing offer any protection? What'a'bout'a Streamlight Twin Task? Will the incandescent part still work? What's the best EDC is you happen to be a Pakistani (I'm not, by the way)?

brightSwede

Newly Enlightened
I guess the best think would be to keep the light in a metal box during the attack. That should shield it from EMP damage.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
That´s why I kept all my lights inside a box made of lead, buried beneath the house!

No EMP here!

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
both assumptions are likely to be wrong i think

just putting something in a 'metal' box will not necessarily shield it from emp or any other EMI

assuming a regular bulb in a mag light or batteries for that matter will still work is also a likely incorrect assumption n

it would all 'depend' on alot of things. depending on the emp it could in fact be really damaging to alot of stuff , you'd be surprized

but is specifically designed you could design say a light that would be resistant to emi and or a proper emi /emp shielded enclousure

i'd like to know if anyone makes a emp safe flashy or at least a flashy sized box emp 'safe'

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have I told that the box is buried 500 meters beneath the house (that have a lead carpet too) ?

:crackup:

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Well seeing as I have never been in a nuclear attack and I would'nt know if say my U2 or L4 would work anymore. I can however say that flashlights need be not a concern for everything around you would be glowing.

-Evan

brightSwede

Newly Enlightened
both assumptions are likely to be wrong i think

just putting something in a 'metal' box will not necessarily shield it from emp or any other EMI

I actually believe it will, provided the flashlight is insulated from the metal surfaces of the container. The EMP will simply travel past the box on the outside.

OTOH, a flashlight is so small that it's unlikely that there will be much of an electrical spike induced in it. If you connected a 5 meter cable to a flashlight, acting as an antenna, then you might have a real problem. With a 3" flashlight, probably not.

prof

Enlightened
Better keep some candles handy, just in case. (I do NOT mean the kind that run on batteries...)

I'd say we'll be more worried about other things than which lights still work. Still...

GreySave

Enlightened
I also have to agree. Whether or not my light worked would be the last thing on my mind in the event of a ballistic missile attack. If that were to happen it is pretty much "game over" for everyone.

The more likely scenario.....give a terrorist a nuclear device or two so they can target a couple of locations a la Jericho and we have a very valid discussion. So, any scholarly flashaholics out there who can shed some scientific light on the subject?

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
uhhh..if indeed there is nuclear war I have a feeling flashlights will be the last thing on our minds. But I guess if I had to choose any flashlight it would be the one that would last the longest.

Patriot

Flashaholic
That´s why I kept all my lights inside a box made of lead, buried beneath the house!

No EMP here!

Federal LG
Have I told that the box is buried 500 meters beneath the house (that have a lead carpet too) ?

:crackup:

Wicho

That's why I keep all my lights wrapped in Superman's cape.

:crackup:I guess we should have warned the OP that these threads always get pretty silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.