L2D low battery?

jaymasta

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I recently puchased an L2D Q5 and have just used up my first set of batterys in it and just wondering about its actions when the batterys got low, it didn't seem much dimmer then normal maybe a little, but the switching got very strange, sometimes it would not turn on at all, sometimes it would turn on and immediatly go into strobe mode, if it would turn on in normal mode I could not switch modes, etc...at first I thought the electronics messed up in it, I put in new batterys and everything returned to normal operation, just curious if this is normal, or if I might have a deffective light, I bough a LOD Q4 at the same time and have gone through many batterys with it and it just dims until it dies completly with no abnormal function, all the batterys I used are nearly brand new energizer 2500mah NIMH... thanks

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
the mode switching on the L2d means that the driver is having trouble with the low voltage. you can tell when you need to charge the batteries when the high and turbo modes get harder to distinguish between. the Lod gets dim because it is not fully regulated like the L2d so it doesn't have to supply a constant current. i dont recommend the energizer 2500mah because they seem to hold a charge for a less than great amount of time...:candle: i use hybrid batteries.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It might also be a bad contact or a loose tailcap retaining ring.

When the batteries are low, the light goes to a "moon-mode" to provide some minimal light. When this happens, there usually isn't enough energy to power up the higher modes so the light will stay in the same output. Strobe and SOS should still work though.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i thought you would first lose turbo, meaning turbo would be the same as high, and with really dim modes if you put it into turbo or high, only medium would come on.

if you are experiencing strobe, i think it's just cause you need to get adjusted to the flashlight still.

heckboy

Enlightened
I'm a heavy L2D Premium 100 user. On alkalines I'd go through two sets of AA a day at times. I always take the turbo mode becoming the same as high as my first sign the batteries are on the way out. I haven't noticed any switching weirdness with low batteries but I don't run them to the bitter end either.

Later,
HB