Acebeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPA Defense SPL-120 (Novatac)

Default Re: SPA Defense SPL-120 (Novatac)

Where does the 120M fit in these different gens?
    Last edited by Lithium466; 08-23-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium466 View Post
    Where does the 120M fits in these different gens?
    I believe it came after the SPA models, and is the only one with a pocket clip, more details here
    but it is not marked Spa made in USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Hawaiian View Post

Below you can see the differences in tailcaps, springs, contacts, etc.
    From left to right: 120P, 85P, SPL-120, 120M
    Last edited by jon_slider; 08-23-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Interesting. There must have been an early transition period where SPA Defense received essentially unbranded NovaTac 120P's and just engraved their name on it. So for all intents and purposes, it would actually be a NovaTac 120P... until later on, when production changes were made. Because when I look at my SPL-120 taken apart, the tail cap matches the NovaTac branded 120P, not the SPL-120 shown in the photo. Mine also happens to be colored in dark green, not that desert sand color.
    LIGHT BRANDS IN ROTATION: FW3A, Zebralight, Jetbeam, Lumintop, RovyVon, Olight, Astrolux, Nitecore, NovaTac

I just received an SPL120 today and I'm surprised by how pleased I am with a 120 lumen light the knurling is very grabby, the size is great, tint and beam are very pleasant, UI is dif from the majority of my lights but 2 levels is actually very usable

makes me even more interested in hds which I have yet to get my hands on
    Last edited by Weld Inspector; 06-15-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    No such thing as too many flashlights, or knives.................
    No matter what they say.

The rabbit hole!

Or a bottomless illuminated pit ?

Unlock your Novatac/SPA with the 250 clicks trick and get a taste of HDS UI

250 clicks? Really?

Also I cant seen to remove that battery tube from the head
    No matter what they say.

Head does not come off. Battery change only through tail.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Head does not come off. Battery change only through tail.

Bill
    So those are both other models in the last pic in this thread?
    No matter what they say.

I's glued with red thread locker, apply enough heat and you can remove it...but remove the electronics before.

Yes 250 clicks will allow you to enter the customization menu and enable programming, see LLcoolbeans Novatac cracked thread (sorry no link not very talented with smartphone).

Itís in post 11 of this thread. 😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Weld Inspector View Post
    So those are both other models in the last pic in this thread?
    Both the original NovaTac 120P and the SPA Defense SPL-120 have the same basic parts design. Battery is changed by removing the tail cap, as BullzeyeBill mentioned. Just be mindful of the screw threads. I always rotate CCW for a bit until I find the "lead in" and start rotating CW. Also, because of the tension from the spring, it's a good idea to press down a little as you turn to help alleviate stress on the threads. If you have some o-ring lubricant, apply a little the threads to help keep them smooth.

The NovaTac is the first "high volume" sold programmable flashlight. It was a major milestone in LED flashlights.

EDITED for corrections, thanks to Hogokansatsukan.

Henry Schneiker, the original creator of HDS Systems had conceived of it and was approached to take it to a more mainstream market (predominantly tactical). It was branded NovaTac at that time. Unfortunately it wasn't managed well and fell apart. Henry broke away from the initiative and then NovaTac fell apart not long after. In picking up the pieces, some enterprising people licensed the design to a company in China that churned out the "NovaTac Storm" and a number of other form factors to include different battery types. It was a cheaper version of essentially the same light (internally).

The NovaTac was released in 85 and 120 lumens options, and came in several models, "E" (executive), "P" (programmable), and "T" (tactical). The Spa Defense SPL-120 is essentially the tactical NovaTac 120T with just a few brightness levels. But like it was already mentioned, the "Easter Egg" is that these lights all have the programming inside, released by doing 250 consecutive clicks. It's a pain in the butt, but you do it one time and that's it. The programming UI is not intuitive and you need to read through the topics to find a link to the manual. Most people don't really bother much with it. You can "reprogram" brightness levels rather easily, without having to go into the full programming menu.

If you do decide to get into the programming menu, it is a bit of a rabbit hole. You'll be amazed at all the things you can set with this flashlight. And if you're intrigued, but a little put off by the complexity, there are newer flashlights out today with even better programmable user interfaces. NarsilM and Anduril are some of the most popular right now (I prefer Anduril).
    Last edited by xevious; 06-17-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    LIGHT BRANDS IN ROTATION: FW3A, Zebralight, Jetbeam, Lumintop, RovyVon, Olight, Astrolux, Nitecore, NovaTac

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    The NovaTac is the first "high volume" sold programmable flashlight. It was a major milestone in LED flashlights. Henry Schneider, the original creator, broke off from NovaTac and formed his own company called HDS Systems that's still making lights today based on this technology..
    Actually, Henry Schneiker has owned and run HDS Systems since the 90's, designing, manufacturing, and selling flashlights long before NovaTac. Henry designed the NT light based upon his previous work when he was approached by someone promising venture capital and streamlined manufacturing, however this quickly fell apart before the first NovaTac shipped. Henry went on to continue to design and build lights. NT did not last long after this.

The NovaTac was a redesigned HDS Systems EDC Ultimate with a couple minor changes to the user interface which is why the back door 250 click was still in the NovaTac as it had been in the HDS Systems EDC Basic. The NovaTac electronics were an inferior constant current system, not constant power.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Actually, Henry Schneiker has owned and run HDS Systems since the 90's, designing, manufacturing, and selling flashlights long before NovaTac. Henry designed the NT light based upon his previous work when he was approached by someone promising venture capital and streamlined manufacturing, however this quickly fell apart before the first NovaTac shipped. Henry went on to continue to design and build lights. NT did not last long after this.

The NovaTac was a redesigned HDS Systems EDC Ultimate with a couple minor changes to the user interface which is why the back door 250 click was still in the NovaTac as it had been in the HDS Systems EDC Basic. The NovaTac electronics were an inferior constant current system, not constant power.
    Thanks for the correction. I checked back to verify and you're mostly correct. HDS Systems has been in business since the 1980's but incorporated its name in 1997. A few years after that, Henry had set aside his business for the NovaTac venture. But when that didn't go the way he wanted, he bailed out and restarted HDS Systems. At least according to the "Brief History of the HDS Universe."

Thanks for the correction. I checked back to verify and you're mostly correct. HDS Systems has been in business since the 1980's but incorporated its name in 1997. A few years after that, Henry had set aside his business for the NovaTac venture. But when that didn't go the way he wanted, he bailed out and restarted HDS Systems. At least according to the "Brief History of the HDS Universe."
    I'm getting my info directly from Henry (who is sitting next to me right now) and as the previous Production Supervisor of NT in Tucson.
    I play with dead things

Flashaholic*

I thought everyone knew who you were Hogo. Haha enjoying this thread regardless
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

ďYour information is mostly correct ď

😂😂😂😂. Iím peeing now. Iím actually peeing!!!
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I'm getting my info directly from Henry (who is sitting next to me right now) and as the previous Production Supervisor of NT in Tucson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    ďYour information is mostly correct ď

Iím peeing now. Iím actually peeing!!!

Wow ok. Guess that write-up has some erroneous info. No emoticon for foot in mouth. I'll go now...
    Last edited by xevious; 06-17-2019 at 05:38 PM.

No no. Just good old boys having fun. Donít take it personal.

ďYour information is mostly correct ď ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    Yeah, I was kinda thinking, hmmmm ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

Wow ok. Guess that write-up has some erroneous info. No emoticon for foot in mouth. I'll go now...
    LOL! Don't worry! It's not a big deal. There are a lot of folks on the forum and it's not possible to know everyone.
    NT was actually some dark days for Henry and myself, but it is how we met and formed our friendship. Henry and I work together at HDS every Monday (sometimes other days of the week as well). He told me to put up or shut up about production delays (and other things) that I often bitched about regarding HDS, and so we partnered up about a year and half ago. He now gets to bitch at me about production delays and lack of parts... Rotary 18680 tube cough cough! I also run the HDS FB page, moderate (and I use that term very loosely) the HDS Section here in CPF. Feel free to join us in that section! We are an odd lot, and I can get cantankerous, but I mean well.

Edit just to add photo:
    Here are some lights I took a photo of today from Henry's shelf (except the Rotary is mine).
    Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 06-17-2019 at 07:43 PM.
    I play with dead things

I didnít realize you where ever at NT, Hogo. Guess I havenít been around here that long. Interesting...

Not wanting to get off track but Something Iím not clear on. HOGO was Henry ďforced ď to make the twisty light after he left NT? Iím thinking thats what I heard. Something about he needed to make a light unlike his old design first. Could be way off here.

He wasn't forced to but lawsuits were flying around like food in Animal House. It is also why for a year or so, HDS Systems went under the name Ra Lights.
    I play with dead things

Makes sense. Thanks

No no. Just good old boys having fun. Donít take it personal.
    Oh... alright. The dampening field of the Internet can often make it hard to tell, depending upon how well you know folks.
    LOL! Don't worry! It's not a big deal. There are a lot of folks on the forum and it's not possible to know everyone.
    NT was actually some dark days for Henry and myself, but it is how we met and formed our friendship. Henry and I work together at HDS every Monday (sometimes other days of the week as well). He told me to put up or shut up about production delays (and other things) that I often bitched about regarding HDS, and so we partnered up about a year and half ago. He now gets to bitch at me about production delays and lack of parts... Rotary 18680 tube cough cough! I also run the HDS FB page, moderate (and I use that term very loosely) the HDS Section here in CPF. Feel free to join us in that section! We are an odd lot, and I can get cantankerous, but I mean well.

Edit just to add photo:
    Here are some lights I took a photo of today from Henry's shelf (except the Rotary is mine). PHOTO
    Quite alright -- I just felt like an idiot... 3rd party write-ups are seldom completely correct and can at times mislead. Very interesting to know about your history with Henry! A long while back I once had an Ultimate 60 but let it go... and in hindsight, wish I'd kept it and just had the emitter upgraded. It's great to see Henry's creation are still in strong demand. Really solid lights compared to what's out there (I'd take an HDS Rotary with me in the field over a Jetbeam RRT-01 any day).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12