First SureFire - for general use

StressPuppy

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I have been digging through as much in this forum as my feable mind can handle trying to find the right answer. There may be several right answers, but I think I need some help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I want to purchase a flashlight, probably a SureFire. This would be my first "real" light as others I have are standard C or D cell generics. I am planning on using it for general use, but I like the idea of being able to use it when I do IDPA matches in low light and being able to taking it hiking or camping, so size is important. Here is what I have been looking at:

- G2: low cost for same high output and in a polymer. But doesn't feel as "solid" as others.

- 6P: the original, no frills light, with the ability to upgrade and do lots with, but requires a pouch to carry it (a bit big for a pocket?)

- D2: 6P with a clip, which could be nice.

- E2e-HA: Nice size and only loose 5 lumens of output. Not as many "upgrades", but might suit the purposes.

The G2Z and Z2 are a bit bulky for what I want, although they look like nice lights.

Others??

The goal here is to buy one and only one (no laughing or sneering! I said the same about handguns, and that was about 6 or 7 ago!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) So I am looking for a good, general purpose, bright, durable light that can suit many situations.

Your input and expertise is GREATLY appreciated!

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think from what others say the A2 is a kickass light! if your not ready to shell out that kind of cash the E2e is for you. The KL1 rocks on the E2e!!!!

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Welcome to the madness that is CPF.

Only one Surefire. Yea, that's the ticket! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

If you want a light that you can carry easily in a normal pocket, then the E2e would be the best on your list. My next light will be the now discontinued E2-HA because it fits smoother in the pocket than the E2e. I have a 6P that I prefer for general use, but for carry it is best in a pouch or in pants with a large knife or small cargo pocket. The G2 would be good. I was never interested in one until I handled it and was surprised how good it felt for a plastic light. Now that they are so inexpensive I will have to get one.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
D2 - simply because they're no longer listed, so they may become a piece of history one day in the not too distant future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6P's are not THAT big. If it's your first small Lithium light, you'll be going "I paid HOW much for THIS?"

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2e, hands down sf's best 2 cell light. for camping you have the low output lamp and KL1 option with a future KL4 5w led option as well.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I didn't know they allowed lights for use in low-light IDPA matches... hmmmm, come to think of it, didn't even know there was a low-light course. Learn something new everyday.

Well, if you're ever going to consider using a Rogers/SureFire technique, then I'd say the C2 (for the handy clip and Combatgrip, or a G2Z for price, Combatgrip, AND durability. If you can, I highly suggest testing the handling characteristics of the C2/6P's versus the Nitrolon series, G2, G2Z, etc.

-Jim

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have the money get the A2. If you don't want the A2 then get the E2e, you won't regret it. If you get the E2e and later on want a long runtime option for it then get the KL1 LED bezel for it. That's why I recommmend the A2, you have both low (3 nichia LEDs) & high beam in one light.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
since you're going to use it for shooting matches, i would suggest either a G2Z or a C2. with the G2Z you still need a holster to carry it, but a C2 has both the grip ring and a pocketclip.

i started out with a 6P, moved on to an E2e, then an M2, and i finally settled on a C2. its perfect for my needs, and its not that much bigger than an E2e. i usually carry it clipped on the inside of my pocket, and i hardly notice it.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello StressPuppy,

Welcome.

From a camping and hiking perspective I would suggest the G2 (in yellow) and then plan on carrying an ARC AAA as a back up light. Make sure you carry an extra lamp assembly and some extra batteries and you will be set. The G2 is rugged, and if you loose it over a cliff or down a cravasse, it won't cost an arm and a leg to replace it.

If money is no object, I would suggest the A2. With the combination of bulb and LED lights, I would not carry an extra lamp assembly, but would probably still have the ARC AAA as a back up. The extended run time on the LED's also bring up the possibility of leaving the extra batteries at home.

If you are going for the WOW factor, get the A2.

Tom

StressPuppy

Newly Enlightened
PieThatCorner,

Let me clarify: There is a place here in town that I shoot every Monday night and they have IDPA "like" matches indoors. They are not IDPA sanctioned, but the shooters and safety officers are IDPA shooters, and the person designing the course does the IDPA matches for another club. So things are 100% by the IDPA book, but close. As for low-light, we have matches every so often that are in low or no light situations (since we are indoors, it is easy). Allows practicing night time scenarios or having to go through a dark house looking for the BG. Can be fun and frustrating!!!!

Winter1

Newly Enlightened
A few weeks ago I purchased a G2, E2e, M6, and a A2. I have an L1 that should arrive today or tomorrow from Dan at Tactical Warehouse.

Now, I am a Private Investigator, and do a lot of work at night. Of all the lights I use, the CMG Infinity red is the one I use the most. Crawling under a car at 2:00 AM to affix a transmitter is something I do on a regular basis, so a small light that does not show much from a distance is great for me. No need to make myself an easy target.

To your question. Of the SureFire lights I purchased recently, I find that I gravitate to the A2 the most. I know if I grab it going out the door, that I really have two lights in one. I walk a couple of miles in the dark each morning for exercise. The A2 is perfect for seeing out to about 15 yards utilizing the LEDs, and out to 50 yards or so with the high beam. When I get up in the middle of the night, and prowel around the house, the A2 is the light I always pick up. I find that it is perfect for a general use light.

Now, after having said that, for pocket carry, I find the A2 a little awkward, as it is a bit long for my taste. It will fit in your pocket, but not as easily as the E2e.

Man, my wife just told me that our daughter is going out to BYU in Idaho and is required to have a 72 hour kit & a flashlight.

Wow! My wife wants me to buy a flashlight for my dauther. Does it get any better than that?

Now - let's see. What was your question again?