MJ-2AA SMJLED module for the Mini-Mag - is it regulated?

Probedude

Enlightened
I've searched and didn't find a lot of info on this drop in upgrade for 2AA mini-mags.
- Does this have a regulated output?
- if so is it a switchmode regulator (buck and boost?)

Although I have a few DX lights in the mail I also would like to upgrade some of these 2AA mini-mags I have lying around. I like the long runtimes being advertised for it.

TIA
Dave

Burgess

Flashaholic
Does NOT have regulated output.

This is a wonderful little gem, and i truly love 'em.

Got a bunch of 'em from Sandwich Shoppe.

They are NOT the same as the ones at LightHound.

Hope you like these as much as i do. :twothumbs

_

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
Any idea as to the runtime for these modules? How are the ones from the Sandwich Shoppe different from the ones at Lighthound?

Probedude

Enlightened
They are NOT the same as the ones at LightHound.
Hope you like these as much as i do. :twothumbs
_

Really? Bummer. I bought mine from LightHound and visually it looks the same as the ones from SandwichShoppe.

Here's the Lighthound ad.
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2542

"ArcMania Super MJ LED upgrade for Mini Maglight Flashlight SMJLED"

and Sandwich Shoppe
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=940

They look visually to be the same.

Good to know that it isn't regulated. I was wondering how they fit the circuitry in there but given they also did it for the solitaire drop in I figured maybe they did on this too.

roymail

Enlightened
Burgess should know the difference... maybe he'll tell us. I know he really likes them. I have 2 from LightHound and really like them. :wave:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lighthound are the 4 die unit, the sandwich chop are the smjled2 which are slightly brighter by 3-4 lumens.

these are also some of my favorite lights, its great having such a long run time for camping/hiking and my kids flashlights.

No need for spare battaries!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Probedude

Enlightened
From the Lighthound website:
5mm SMJLED with ARCmania converter :eek:

I also found this posting
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2126600&postcount=139

It shows a circuit board on the inside.

The whole thread in the link above is pretty confusing. The differences between the LightHound and SandwichShoppe versions is mentioned there too but I didn't see a clear answer.

The thread link above does say that there is an active converter in there though.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main confusion is in the PR base bulb version. (There are at least 3 different versions).

AFAIK both Lighthound and The Shoppe are selling the same bipin boosted version for the Minimag. (There is not enough volume to support the clone manufacturers. Also ARCmania is now smart enough to put "MJ" on the bipin module instead of the generic "2 cell" on the PR bulb version.)

Probedude

Enlightened
The main confusion is in the PR base bulb version. (There are at least 3 different versions).

AFAIK both Lighthound and The Shoppe are selling the same bipin boosted version for the Minimag. (There is not enough volume to support the clone manufacturers. Also ARCmania is now smart enough to put "MJ" on the bipin module instead of the generic "2 cell" on the PR bulb version.)

Thanks for the info. When I get my order from LightHound I'll update this thread including macro shots of the emitter so someone can tell me which I received. Should get it in a few days.

Dave

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
LedNinja,
I just spent a lot of time reading all the threads on the MJ leds in the thread where you listed all the versions.

Do you know if this posting is still true of the SMJLED2's? (quickly dropping brightness due to the LED itself.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1583253&postcount=136
This is the lighthound PR2 bulb data:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1662916&postcount=199
But do you care?
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1819132&postcount=207

Note too the mimimag module can wicks the heat away from the LED differently than the PR2 case.

I have run a Dorcy Gelbrite NiMH for over a year used almost nightly for bathroom/fridge runs without noticing any change in brightness. Of course that is probably under 12 hours total. Also 2xNiMH is 2.4V, well under the the 2.8V used in the tests.

Probedude

Enlightened
This is the lighthound PR2 bulb data:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1662916&postcount=199
But do you care?
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1819132&postcount=207

Note too the mimimag module can wicks the heat away from the LED differently than the PR2 case.

True, in real world use/most situations it likely doesn't matter. I was more interested in knowing if anything about the product had been changed since all this information came out over a year ago.

Doesn't affect my decision - I already bought them.

Probedude

Enlightened
I received my order from LightHound today. Ordered I think on Sunday and it's in my hands already! I ordered two of the MJ-2AA modules.
- The LED's are the 4-die SuperMJ LED's.
- got a free 'faxton' (?) like keychain light too - pretty good brightness and it's push on-push off!

Installation was a breeze. Much whiter light than the stock mini-mag setup. More flood, when adjusted for a spot it's bigger and pretty bright. Certainly brighter than the stock mini-mag when adjusted for the same spot size.

There is a boost circuit in it, at least I think so. I asked the wrong question before - I meant to word it to ask if there is any circuitry to drive the LED or if it is just direct driven. The led leads do not just pass through the aluminum disc. I'm not feeling rich enough to destroy one to see what's inside. If it ever dies then I'll take it apart.

Did anyone run a battery life test on the 4die SuperMJ-2AA module to see if it's better than the MJLED2's?

Dave

Burgess

Flashaholic
hi probedude --

Yes, there certainly is electronic circuitry inside that blue canister.

I believe the difference between the Lighthound and Shoppe versions lies in the LED each uses.

I expect the circuits to be identical. But that's just a guess.

Notice that (well, mine, anyway) will run even on 1 cell.

Certainly isn't direct-drive. It's a nicely-designed and engineered unit.

ArcMania (michael jordan) hit another home-run with this little gem. :twothumbs

Happily, this is one of his creations that even I can afford ! :broke:

The following data is based upon my units from Sandwich Shoppe:

Battery Life --

Sanyo Eneloops - about 13 hours

Energizer Alkalines - about 16 hours (plus!)

Hope you like yours as much as i like mine !

:wave:
_

DaryleTilroe

Newly Enlightened
The lighthound are the 4 die unit, the sandwich chop are the smjled2 which are slightly brighter by 3-4 lumens.

So I've been trying to sort though this confusion on these two units as well. There must be a half dozen threads I've read though without getting a really clear picture. The Sandwich Shoppe site does not seem to specify that the LED is an SMJLED2 vs. an SMJLED; OTOH Lighthound pretty clearly says theirs are "5mm SMJLED". So, assuming the Sandwich Shoppe ones actually are SMJLED2's (in spite of the lack of clear specs), are they worth ~40% more?