Is Q5 the brightest emitter

Gary123

Enlightened
Don't hear much about the Rebels anymore. Seemed like a flash in the pan. I guess R2 Crees are coming out soon. So, is the Q5/R2 clearly the brightest production emitter out there right now?

But if your flashlight's head is not long enough to accomodate a proper Cree reflector, because it was designed for a P4, then wouldn't a Rebel 100 be your best choice in this case?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Don't hear much about the Rebels anymore. Seemed like a flash in the pan. I guess R2 Crees are coming out soon. So, is the Q5/R2 clearly the brightest production emitter out there right now?

But if your flashlight's head is not long enough to accomodate a proper Cree reflector, because it was designed for a P4, then wouldn't a Rebel 100 be your best choice in this case?

Which P4? A Cree P4 will physically look the same, and use the same reflector as the Cree R bins. Or a SSC P4? That's more of a replacement for a Lux III

The Rebels fizzled out primarily because they jumped the gun to keep up with Cree's, and they couldn't keep up production of the Rebels in quantity.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rebels are not as bright as Cree Q5/ But some swear Rebels hasve a better yelow tint. Closes to incans. So for light quality, Rebels have an edge. Cree Q5's are a bit on the greenish side.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the light from Your led is too blue / green / whatever for Your taste,
why not get a tint You enjoy?

Or do You purchase a white car, when You think a red one would be nicer and You dont like white?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rebels are not as bright as Cree Q5/ But some swear Rebels hasve a better yelow tint. Closes to incans. So for light quality, Rebels have an edge. Cree Q5's are a bit on the greenish side.
?!
i thought rebels were the culprits in green?
and crees, if anything, were blue/purple
Crenshaw

Gary123

Enlightened
So then what is the best choice for a light that was designed for a Lux III, and that is now running an SSC P4? Would it be a Rebel 100, if there are any to be found?

Or is there really nothing right now? Since technology is clearly moving along, maybe I should just wait a few months for brighter emitters that will work better with shorter reflectors/heads (like my Arc LS, Firefly III, HDS U60, SS Civictor, Pelican and TnC SF).

And I have no information on this, but something doesn't sound correct that the Rebels struggled because Lumileds couldn't keep up production. They know how to produce, don't they? It seems to me that there must have been some problems with the emitter or something else is going on there, because they had a contender and it disappeared.

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened

Yup, my Cree Q5 from my Tiablo A9 sure does have a greenish tint. See below:

Cree Q5 (left) compared to 1W Luxeon (right):
TiabloA9besideSLwallbeamshot.jpg

Bkultra

Newly Enlightened
So then what is the best choice for a light that was designed for a Lux III, and that is now running an SSC P4?

The SSC P4 is still pretty much cutting edge technology, I would wait untill a vast improvement comes out. Why are you looking to replace it?

Gary123

Enlightened
The SSC P4 is still pretty much cutting edge technology, I would wait untill a vast improvement comes out. Why are you looking to replace it?

I'm thinking about replacing some of my SSC P4's because they seem a whole step below the brighteness levels we are seeing now with the Q5's, some of which will light up a whole backyard with a single emitter. I just don't think any of my SSC P4's will do that. So I'm not so sure that the SSC P4's are still the cutting edge. With a 1.2 amp flupic driving a Q5 I could have a blaster mode (hi) when i need it (instead of carrying a separate light for high brightness), and just set medium and low for more common uses.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The Q5 will handle the higher current to the led probably better than a Seoul P4, which is very partial to good heatsinking. If you could heat sink a Seoul P4 directly to the sink, for example on an anodized surface, you can probably drive the P4 well above one amp. Of course, any LED mounted directly to a heat sink will handle high amperage better. I baby my Seoul P4 modded Chameleon, and seldom use the 1.2 amp to led 5/5 setting.

Bill

J.D.

Newly Enlightened
if the light from Your led is too blue / green / whatever for Your taste,
why not get a tint You enjoy?

Or do You purchase a white car, when You think a red one would be nicer and You dont like white?

totally correct !
i´ve just received my R2 WH from cutter - i like this tint very much - pretty close to icans.

Till today my favourit tint was WC but if you see WH outdoors you don´t want a WC anymore :whistle:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I'm thinking about replacing some of my SSC P4's because they seem a whole step below the brighteness levels we are seeing now with the Q5's, some of which will light up a whole backyard with a single emitter. I just don't think any of my SSC P4's will do that. So I'm not so sure that the SSC P4's are still the cutting edge. With a 1.2 amp flupic driving a Q5 I could have a blaster mode (hi) when i need it (instead of carrying a separate light for high brightness), and just set medium and low for more common uses.

Have you actually compared your P4's to some Q5 lights. My impression is that the reflector design is as important as the emitter brightness. My 1D seoul modded M@g's out-throw all of my Q5 throwers. Also, I have both of the new VB-16's - SeoulP4 and CreeQ5 - and the Seoul version throws farther and brighter.

Ganp

Enlightened
totally correct !
i´ve just received my R2 WH from cutter - i like this tint very much - pretty close to icans.

Till today my favourit tint was WC but if you see WH outdoors you don´t want a WC anymore :whistle:

I'm with you all the way in favour of the WH tint Crees - probably the nicest XR-E tint available at the moment IMHO - other than the low output warm white ones.

But it is NOWHERE NEAR an incan' :poke:

Colin.