Rex Tremenda Majestatis!

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Apologies for the reference to (Mozart's, Verdi's, Faure's etc.) requiem. (I'm not religious, but why should they have all the best tunes?)
I held off a post about my new Rex because it didn't work. The light was impresssive, but it didn't charge.
So all credit to the LRI folks who sent me a new one and tested it before it went out.
The output is good - slightly bluish - and more than adequate for most tasks.
It gets quite hot, even in the 'secret' mode. (What's that? I hear you cry).
Here's what you do: from off, squeeze until the light JUST comes on. Then release, then ramp up to full from there. It looks bright, but is a few steps down from max - it's a good way of getting a known brightness which is bright enough but won't zap the battery.
Er... that's all for now.

todo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks thats a good tip for saving battery. I have not noticed mine to heat up at all.

I have had my rex replaced by lri as well. After an overnight charge on a D cell the light was completely dead. Before it died it was doing the steady blink and only about 1/2 brightness. So far my new light is working fine.

The charge adapter seems to be the source of many problems. It has a collar built around the one contact to avoid reverse connections, however this collar also makes it a bit tricky to get a good connection. I have tried everything and it still is quite fiddly to get it to make consistent contact. So I carefully with a razer trimmed the collar a bit and it now seats everytime and begins its (blinking) charging.

**WARNING** this mod does allow for reverse connecting of the charger, and I'm sure the results would not be good. What I did was, put a white dot beside the corresponding contact on the charger and one on the light to remind me of correct hookup.

I have also determined the most efficient charging of the rex is accomplished with a single 2600 nimh AA Duracell rechargeable. All other batteries, D cells ,C cells, and standard alkaline AA have resulted in very long charge times or not reaching full charge at all. With a full 2600 duracell the rex recharges (blinking stops) within 2 hrs every time. My new light has 10 or more recharges on it now and all seems well.

All that said, the rex is my new favorite EDC. It hangs from my neck and is there 24/7. It replaced a photon freedom that I depended on for over a year. At first I thought it may be to large for around my neck but I never even know its there till I need it. It puts out enough light that I rarely reach for my LOD ce. Plus the fact that I can ramp up or down to the desired amount of light for the job, makes it a great EDC.

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Frank for the mode trick. Is this different than the 50% mode trick?

I have been enjoying my ReX thus far for roaming around the house at night in low mode. It is always with me due to the small size. I make sure that it has a full charge when I go out so that I will have a good power reserve should I need a bit of runtime. I typically do not run it at full power so not to drain the battery too fast. I have found that the runtime and output is decent if you do not run at full output.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Frank for the mode trick. Is this different than the 50% mode trick?

I have been enjoying my ReX thus far for roaming around the house at night in low mode. It is always with me due to the small size. I make sure that it has a full charge when I go out so that I will have a good power reserve should I need a bit of runtime. I typically do not run it at full power so not to drain the battery too fast. I have found that the runtime and output is decent if you do not run at full output.
A good question! I did this:
- Timed how long it took to go from 0 to full bright (4 seconds)
- Then, from 0, brightened up for 2 seconds
- Waved it around, looked at the flash width from the PWM
- Repeated with the 'mode trick'.
- To me, it looks as if the 'tricky mode' is more than 50%, more like 75%.
- This was not a scientific test - assume about 25% error.
- So, to answer your question: Maybe, maybe not. However, I'd assume there is only one 'trick' so maybe it is 50%. It works on the Fusion and Freedom Micro too.

Latest posts