New Minimag LEDs soon?

cfromc

Enlightened
I searched but didn't come up with much. Does anyone know if a new MagLED is coming out soon? Looking for info on the 2AA/3AA specifically.

Last edited:

Albinoni

Banned
I really do think that Mag should bring out a LED Solitaire before even thinking about bringing out a Minimag LED. Sadly enough they do have a LED Minimag but not a LED Solitaire. Even a Chinese company like Fenix can introudce a few small 1AA/AAA LED torch than its about time time Mag Instruments gets it act together and starts to compete.

e2x2e

Enlightened
Agreed! I'd but a Solitaire LED in no time!!! Also I think they need to come standard (the minis) with a tail clicky.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed! I'd but a Solitaire LED in no time!!! Also I think they need to come standard (the minis) with a tail clicky.

Nah, tail clickie isn't really practicle for everyday use lights. Side switch or twisty is much more comfortable to use.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Well, SHOTshow2008 is a couple weeks away.

While i do indeed HOPE to see something new from Mag,

i must admit that i'm not expecting anything. :mecry:

_

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a Maglite Solitaire, and want a LED model of the same small size. Anyone who know how is the Fenix E0 "Dart" in comparison to the Solitaire? I know the runtime is FAR better, but how is the brightness?
I have no idea about the maximum lumens of Solitaire...but I have read that it has 50% of the brightness after 11 minutes! Yes, I remember that the brightness decreased quite fast...

Regards, Patric

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have had a Maglite Solitaire, and want a LED model of the same small size. Anyone who know how is the Fenix E0 "Dart" in comparison to the Solitaire? I know the runtime is FAR better, but how is the brightness?
I have no idea about the maximum lumens of Solitaire...but I have read that it has 50% of the brightness after 11 minutes! Yes, I remember that the brightness decreased quite fast...

Regards, Patric

Solitaire is around 1-2 lumens, the E0 is MUCH brighter. However, the E0 is also being discontinued. If you want one, grab it quick.

Compare the relative output. 300 vs 100 (at the start for the Solitaire)
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e0.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/mag_sol.htm

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 1.5 volt bulb is going to give absolutely crap output; I seem to remember reading 2-3 lumens, though don't quote me on that. The E0 will probably start and end brighter, and with a much nicer beam as well as none of the general rubbish of incan's breaking.

Yes, an LED solitaire would be nice, but I think the fenix L0D would be better (slightly)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Marduke for the information!
The Fenix EO is stated to have 5.5 lumens for 11 hours, really superior to the Solitaire which I earlier considered to be quite bright for the size...
I will try to get it fast.

Regards, Patric

cfromc

Enlightened

Regards, Patric

HA. I just put new lithium batteries into a 2AA MM and after only a few minutes the light seems to have dimmed. I've never had a solitaire that I can remember but after seeing the brightness of the MM, I'm wondering what the solitaire would be useful for.

I was going to wait until after the SHOT Show to get a 2AA/3AA LED MM but I just made a trade for one so now I will just hold off until they ARE upgraded. I understand it may be years...........

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are kidding right ?
It took them two and a half years to come out with an AA LED that when launched was already a year out of date.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Yes, it's sad that Mag Instrument is so behind the times. They've been getting away with it because many people believe them to still be an "elite" light ... but I think that time is drawing to a close with cheap, quality-feeling aluminum flashlights readily available in Target, Wal-Mart, etc ...

The 3 MagLEDs I've bought (3AA) have cost me between $15-17 U.S. I've given two away as gifts. Even at that price, I wouldn't order any more of these lights until they get a LOT better. I feel sorry for the Europeans that see these lights at triple or more than they're sold here in the US for. :shakehead

They still seem to be a decent-quality (reliable) flashlight but there are others out there that perform so much better for the same price or less. Mag Instr. needs to step it up ... soon. :scowl:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't matter if they are behind or not, they have the market penetration others don't. Go to your walmart, home depot, or any other store, what's the one light (and often the most expensive) they all have? Maglite.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
market penetration is quite a point: available everywhere.
But still not a good light ;)
its always nice to stomp ppl using this overpriced piece of crap (cost € 45,-- and € 55,-- here) into the light, expecially the ones who offensively critic any other light that is brought along (simply because they dont know). ;)

as to "new led in MM":
even with them, the MMs will stay the length of ONE CELL too long (unnecessarily),
the new led will also overheat and output then has to be reduced, because the heat path will still be as bad
the light will still be single stage
will turn itself on when in pocket
... as now, with the 1st Led model

should build the whole light NEW:
circuit smaller and round and inserted like a disc, not parallel to the body,
better sink,
shorter end cap

PS: I really enjoy end switches. That two hand twisting action ... :Thinking: ... no more