Quick question guys and gals about Fenix Lights...

cutlerylover

Banned
Are Fenix lights waterproof? I woudl imagine at least water resistant, but what about submerging? If so how deep, and how long? Anyone know? Thanks in advance!!! :grin2:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
IPX-8 is continuous immersion under some conditions set forth by the manufacturer. Meaning they should says 60 minutes at 10 feet or something like that. However, Fenix doesn't do that. IPX7 is 1 meter for 30 minutes, so I guess it's better than that.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been a few posts where CPF members have accidentally put their Fenix lights through the washing machine, and dryer, and they were fine. :)

Not sure how'd they do 10+ feet under water, but if you drop it into a couple feet of water it should be fine.

cal..45

Enlightened
Fenix certifies IPX-8 for 3.6m for 24 hours

I wonder what will happen after 24 hours, I don't think that the gaskets/o-rings will dissolving all of a sudden, so why the 24h time limit?

btw, while diving I took my fenix L2D down to the bottom of a swimming pool a few times (3,8meters) and it just works fine.

regards, holger

Marduke

Flashaholic
I wonder what will happen after 24 hours, I don't think that the gaskets/o-rings will dissolving all of a sudden, so why the 24h time limit?

btw, while diving I took my fenix L2D down to the bottom of a swimming pool a few times (3,8meters) and it just works fine.

regards, holger

That's just the bare minimum tested. There have been people who have used the P1D for a backup diving light with no problems.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

regards, holger
its more to do with the sustained pressure of the water over a long period of time, the water will eventually seep in. this is just the way it is tested
IPX-7 is 1m (3feet) for 30 mins, water shouldnt leak into it after 30 mins, but the chances of it leaking go up the longer its in the water.
(The Uniden radios that were used on a ship i went on last year were IPX-7 rated, they are only designed to be in the water long enough that they can call the ship to tell them to fish you back out)

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are Fenix lights waterproof? I woudl imagine at least water resistant, but what about submerging? If so how deep, and how long? Anyone know? Thanks in advance!!! :grin2:

I can only speak from my real-world, actual use experience.

I took my FENIX P3D Q5 and L2D CE into a river. I waded in the river in the dark. I waded in water from knee to chin deep for about 7 hours. During that time, I used them on and off.

While wading in the river, if I am not using the lights, these are in their holsters around my waist, which would sometimes be in about 2 feet of water (length from my chin to my waist). I occasionally would dunk them in the water when I was trying to illuminate the bottom of the river.

I cleaned them after the trek and no moisture found its way into the battery compartment nor into the bulb/lens/reflector compartment.

To maintain the water-proofness, I lube the o-ring frequently with plumbers grease.

Last edited:

jds009

Enlightened
Thanks jeff, i had him post this for me. Im probably gonna buy a L1 something or other before spring break, im a huge fisherman camper & the regular outdoor stuff like that. i need something that wont break.:naughty: i have always wanted a nice fenix but never got one cause of my guitar addiction:broke:, now i need one.:ohgeez:

now my other question is which L1d? whats the difference between these 3? i dont really see any in the descriptions... on fenixstore.com there are 3 different types.
L1D CE Black SMO
L1D CE Black OP
L1D Black Premium Q5 SMO

also does anyone have a picture of the L1 & L2 in hand, like as a size comparison together?

Marduke

Flashaholic
now my other question is which L1d? whats the difference between these 3? i dont really see any in the descriptions... on fenixstore.com there are 3 different types.
L1D CE Black SMO
L1D CE Black OP
L1D Black Premium Q5 SMO

also does anyone have a picture of the L1 & L2 in hand, like as a size comparison together?

It's all in the name.
One is the P4 bin, smooth reflector
One is the P4 bin, orange peel reflector
One is the Q5 bin, smooth reflector

I think they all come in either black or olive color, with olive probably being a little tougher.

The specs on the Q5 model aren't up to date, turbo is up to 180 lumens, and the general mode lumen specs are the same as the L2D Q5 with the L1D runtimes.

jds009

Enlightened
It's all in the name.
One is the P4 bin, smooth reflector
One is the P4 bin, orange peel reflector
One is the Q5 bin, smooth reflector

I think they all come in either black or olive color, with olive probably being a little tougher.

The specs on the Q5 model aren't up to date, turbo is up to 180 lumens, and the general mode lumen specs are the same as the L2D Q5 with the L1D runtimes.

thanks, i kinda got it explained to me...but its still not clear, whats a bin?

if i want a beam that shoots from 20 ft & shorter better, which would be best? i dont usually use a far beam much.

Marduke

Flashaholic
thanks, i kinda got it explained to me...but its still not clear, whats a bin?

if i want a beam that shoots from 20 ft & shorter better, which would be best? i dont usually use a far beam much.

The bin is the rating of efficiency and brightness of the LED compared to others of the same model. Q5 is better than P4

More info is in the Welcome Mat