What is the deal breaker for you on the Olight T20?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an Olight T20 Q5 from a board member and I have to say that I'm rather impressed with the light. I can see why Fenix-store is selling it, as it very much has a "Fenix" quality to it. The anodizing looks like it came from the same factory. Even the knurled grid pattern looks like a Fenix. The overall shape is obviously a departure from the "pipe bomb" design Fenix is so well known for, but it still has a pipe-style battery tube design.

Well, it does have an uncommon reflector, combining SMO and OP... but it works (at least for me). The beam is a little ringy but smoothed out by the OP. The spot is nice and bright. And like others have mentioned, the UI is just great--simple and usable. If you're a strobe person, this is the light for you as a gentle tap on the tail switch will launch it into a rapid strobe mode. Although the brightness steps down, rather than up (it would be nice to at least control it for those who prefer to step up), there is memory that prevents you from having to cycle every time you switch on the light.

Lastly, the length and weight of the light is on the small side for a 2xCR123 (certainly the Regalight WT1 dwarfs it), so it is nicely portable.

Overall, I really like this light. So, I'm surprised to see so many up for sale on CPF. There must've been ~10 or more sold over the past 2 months. What is it about this light that is the turn off for most of you? I'm just curious. Beyond the step-down rather than step-up, I can't see what else. Chime in if you've sold yours. :grin2:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a reverse clickie... :shakehead

I do try to stay away from those if at all possible...

kilgor

Enlightened
I had to send 2 Olight T15s back. The first didn't have the brightest level and the second wouldn't light up out of the box. :( There's too many other light companies out there to fool with Olight again.

da.gee

Enlightened
Purple tint. Unexciting design. A good light but didn't do it for me.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it wrong for me to say that it is not expensive enough :duh2: ? And yes, I have been somewhat brainwashed to believe that more is more :sigh: ...

angrywetcat

Newly Enlightened
None here...I'm new to this flashy thing, and of the 6 I now own, I'm very pleased with it (in the two weeks I've been playing with it). I did get the T20 Special Edition from Battery Junction, and on high it's supposed to have 200 lm. I'm not a big fan of the strobe/SOS thing, so that's a waste for me. I do like the memory setting. That's a plus for me.

The only thing I'd like done differently is the light itself is a bit slick. It wants to slide out of my hand as I push the clicky. Perhaps some little strips of skateboard tape will fix that. I wish it had another option for batteries, not just the 2xCR123's.

I'm interested in reading reviews of the T25 that's supposed to be out in late Feb.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know I'm really not sure why so many of them end up on BST. I think a lot of members buy lights and sell them as soon as a new light comes out, so that could be a factor.

I currently carry a Olight T10 Q5 and really like it! The light works perfect for me, and the only way it could be better is if it ramped up in brightness. I love how it has lots of throw and a smooth beam! Very impressive for a pocket sized light.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an Olight T20 and several Fenixes. I sold all the Fenixes and the Olight. But I bought another Olight - a T10. The QC seems better and the design seems more robust. Plus I prefer their UI. The T20 was a little long, so I went with a one cell light.

sabre7

Enlightened
I went for the t15 q5 instead of t20 because of the convenience of the single AA.

Not sure if it is defective though, maybe someone here would know...

The brightest 2 levels are listed as 120lm and 105lm but I can't tell any difference in brightness. Is it defective or are the 2 levels too close in brightness to tell a difference?

angrywetcat

Newly Enlightened
A completely uneducated and noob guess, but I think he means start on low, then go up in lumens from there, instead of Olight's start on high, and ramp down from there...:confused:

kilgor

Enlightened
I went for the t15 q5 instead of t20 because of the convenience of the single AA.

Not sure if it is defective though, maybe someone here would know...

The brightest 2 levels are listed as 120lm and 105lm but I can't tell any difference in brightness. Is it defective or are the 2 levels too close in brightness to tell a difference?

Mine was that way also. I got the same run times on the top two levels (130 minutes on a NiMH). Advertised run times were 45 minutes for high and 120 minutes for level 2. This led me to concluded that I wasn't getting the brightest level. I sent it back and the replacement wouldn't even light up.

Another poster here experienced the same thing and measured the amperages as identical on the top two levels.

Here is his post:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2291217&postcount=23

I am done with Olight. There are too many other quality flashlights out there.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Q5 version and have been happy with mine. I stole the clip from a Terralux AA rebel light, so it is now a nice bezel down carry light. I think they are nice, small bright lights. As for the reverse switch...in a pocket light I prefer them... too many times beaing laughed at when my old e2e came on with its forward switch!

Of course, as I say this... I just listed mine in the b/s/t section... I just like getting a new light every month, and am willing to risk loosing something good...for something else possibly even better.

The best thing about the light, is its spillbeam... One of the brightest spillbeams I have ever seen on a light.

Why am I selling it again?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not quite convinced yet that mine is pumping out 205 lumens either, as I pitted it against my WT1 (220 lumens) and the WT1 hot spot looks about 40 lumens brighter. That's all eye-talk, as I don't have any light sensors. But in any case the T20 is very bright--definitely enough for my use.

The spot is rather small, though bright--it's a small headed flashlight after all. But I agree that the spill is of a good intensity. The mixed reflector (SMO/OP) smooths out some of the rings you'd see with pure SMO, making for a useful beam with minimal distraction.

But yeah... it's a slippery light. I can see putting a rubber shealth on the battery tube and that would solve the problem well. Time to try some of that Plasti Dip. ;)

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't happy about it having no pocket clip. But the one off my RayoVac AA snapped right on the Olight. Now I wouldn't sell it even for a profit. This little guy rocks.
It's a darn good light thar, erh hmmm. It'll light up the barn right good, erh hmmm. (i.e. your avatar ;) )

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first LED light was the Olight T20-Q5. I just don't see what there is about this light not to like. I don't see me selling mine. I have the BOG Q5 drop in for my G2 (230 lumen ) and my Olight T20 is almost as bright.

Every Light is not for everybody.
shrug.gif

Bill

sabre7

Enlightened
It's a darn good light thar, erh hmmm. It'll light up the barn right good, erh hmmm. (i.e. your avatar ;) )

Whats up with the uncalled for personal attacks against someone trying to contribute helpful comments? :confused:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats up with the uncalled for personal attacks against someone trying to contribute helpful comments? :confused:

He's joking about a movie...

I love my T20, I won't be selling it. But... usually I don't need that much throw, so I don't choose to carry it as often as I carry my other lights. =\

Latest posts