Need an EDC looking at Fenix l1d and l0d

OMNIHUGE

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have both of these lights that can post size comparison pics? I want something small and bright and I think the l0d is probably what I want, but I have that never ending craving for more lumens. I'm a police officer and this will not be used for duty, this will be my edc for whenever, so it must be small. Just wanting to know I guess if the l1d is going to be bigger than I want.

Fyi for duty I carry the pelican 7060, insight m3x, and whatever generic light is on the tazers.

Thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you really want output, get a Li-ion 10440 battery along with the L0D-CE Q4. That should give you 150+ lumen on high. Just make sure not to over-drain the battery.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have both of these lights that can post size comparison pics?

Hi OMNIHUGE, there's a review by UnknownVT with an L1D side by side with L0D here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/151460

Brightness comparisons are included as well.

I think L0D is definitely a keychain light, while the L1D (AA form factor) is perfect for the pants pocket. It comes with a pretty compact holster as well, if belt carry is preferred.

todo

Newly Enlightened
I would call the LOD shirt pocket carry. It fits perfectly right beside a pen and is always there when needed. Don't forget the 10440 lithium, it makes this small light incredibly bright.

OMNIHUGE

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that post with comparison pics, I'm definitely leaning toward the l0d q4 again. I must say I'm very happy I found these forums when I was looking for a small AAA high performance light, I've learned a lot.

There's nothing like carrying something super useful that you can't even tell you're carrying, I think the l0d fits that bill, along with spyderco knives. I'm glad to have this information.

JamisonM

Enlightened
I think the L0D and L1D would be a good combination. The LOD sits on the key chain as a backup and the L1D in the pocket as the main light source. Personally, I'd use a L2D instead of the L1D. It maybe longer, but the added brightness and runtime are worth it IMHO. Use in combination with some LSD NiMH AA's and you've got a great light. I'm trying to get my hands on a L0D, but funding is scarce. I've got couple of packs of energizer AAA lithiums for it when I finally get one. Until then, I'm using my solitaire with a arcmania drop-in.

paulr

Flashaholic
Go for the L0D unless you need the L1D's extra power or want to share batteries with other AA-powered devices. The L0D is a lot smaller and pocketable, and is better built. It is bright enough for most near- and mid-range edc purposes. Make sure to run it on a rechargeable. If you want a brighter companion for it and are staying with Fenix, I'd go for the P1CE or P1DCE-Q5 or even the P3D Q5, all of which are more powerful than the L1d and have a bigger reflector.

Cloudane

Newly Enlightened
I don't own both, but I do own the L0D and can heartily recommend it as an EDC. It sits on a keyring with my house key and a Leatherman Micra, and the whole bunch is pretty much unnoticeable.

It's a tough beast too (like all Fenix's)... barely a scratch on it despite sharing its space with a key and a leatherman.

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
After much consideration (and research - thanks CPFers for all the great info posted), I just bought a Fenix P2D premium Q5 for EDC. I don't really mind using a CR123 light for daily use since I am usually well-stocked on primaries. But since they can be hard to find outside my home base, I also got the L1D body to go with it. Fenix-store is currently selling both bodies (along with a candle-like diffuser module) in a special combo. So, the P2D sits in my pocket and the L1D body with a AA goes into the briefcase to enable a quick swap if I need it.

The fit and finish is superb - exactly what I would expect from Fenix based on the feedback I have seen here.

optodoofus

OMNIHUGE

Newly Enlightened
Well I went ahead and ordered a l0d q4 black from fenix-store with the discout code......Thx cpf

I'm pretty excited, I didn't even realize you could get a light that bright on just a aaa until I found these forums. It should compliment my other lights perfectly! I'll report back after I get it.

paulr

Flashaholic
Omnihuge, one thing you must understand about the l0d and l1d, if you use the high power modes for any amount of time you REALLY have to use a rechargeable (nimh) or lithium (L92 energizer) battery. These lights will suck alkalines dry in almost no time because alkalines don't have the power capacity at high drain levels. For general purpose "civilian" use, I prefer the Arc AAA which is a lot lower powered (dimmer) but thrives on alkalines. (Edit, I see I mentioned this before. Oh well, it bears repeating anyway).

OMNIHUGE

Newly Enlightened
That's fine I have quite a few energizer nimh's that I use for almost everything that takes a AA or AAA. This light isn't for work like I said, but I am an LEO and I really enjoy a quality light. Hopefully this doesn't let me down. I think it's a good comprimise in size, quality, and brightness (at least from what I've read here). Thanks for the heads up though. I just hate the 123a batt's. Use em for my m3x, but that's it. Not much choice in weapon mounted lights as far as battery choices.

sabre7

Enlightened
Can't go wrong with the l0d q4. :thumbsup:

Question about the l1d:

I read somewhere on CPF there is no difference in High and Turbo levels as far as brightness or runtime, is that true? Why?

Last edited:

Bomo

Newly Enlightened

Question about the l1d:

I read somewhere on CPF there is no difference in High and Turbo levels as far as brightness or runtime, is that true? Why?

The L1D and L2D share the same head. The current required to run in turbo is too high for a single AA - but works quite well in the 2AA (L2D) form.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Question about the l1d:

Well, it's not a large difference.
107 lm @ 2 hrs vs 120 lm @ 1.5 hrs for the Q5
90 lm @ 2 hrs vs 80 lm 2 1.5 hrs for the P4

This increase isn't well perceived by humans (logarithmic perception of brightness and all)

You have to remember that the L1D uses the same head as the L2D and P2D. The turbo mode of the L1D really only shines with the extra voltage boost of running at 3v vs 1.5v.

The general mode is the same brightness for all three models, but the specific cell used (1xAA, 2xAA, or 1xCR123) determines the runtimes, and the brightness on turbo.

sabre7

Enlightened
Well, it's not a large difference.
107 lm @ 2 hrs vs 120 lm @ 1.5 hrs for the Q5
90 lm @ 2 hrs vs 80 lm 2 1.5 hrs for the P4

This increase isn't well perceived by humans (logarithmic perception of brightness and all)

You have to remember that the L1D uses the same head as the L2D and P2D. The turbo mode of the L1D really only shines with the extra voltage boost of running at 3v vs 1.5v.

The general mode is the same brightness for all three models, but the specific cell used (1xAA, 2xAA, or 1xCR123) determines the runtimes, and the brightness on turbo.

Could this also be an issue with the 1AA Olight T-15 q5? Mine has exact brightness and runtimes on highest 2 levels, which is about 2 hrs on freshly charged NiMh.
Box states: Level 1: 120lm .8hr, Level 2: 105lm, 2hr. = Only getting 105lm? Considering l1d or l2d for this reason.

Last edited:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have a serious look at the Olight T15 Special Edition. One CR123, small and easily pocketable. Throws like crazy. Simple UI. Just got one. It's amazing.