HuntLight FT-01XSE Cree P4 Upgrades?

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to upgrade the led on this light.
Do the P60 size modules work?
I would love to get a q5 with a high and low setting and smooth reflector if possible.
I need the light to use primary cells as well.
Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: HuntLight FT01X XR-E SE Upgrades?

I remember using SF P60s in my Huntlight, so other P60s should work.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember using SF P60s in my Huntlight, so other P60s should work.

Can you be more specific please on which huntlight you own?
FT01XSE or FT01PJ ?
If you use standard P60 dropin in your Huntlight FT01XSE,would you kind enough to share with us on how you take out the light engine ( LE ) ?

bspofford

Enlightened

I own them all, so let me clarify the matter for you. The SE and PJ refer to the finish with the former being HAIII, and the latter being type II. There are really two models of the FT01X that are different. The XR-E CREE has threads holding the module in place making it difficult to simply drop in a P60 module. The LuxIII-U bin model works great, and I have used P60 Q2 modules from Supertactical, SSC modules from DX, and 3-mode Q5 modules from Dereelight in this host. Don't worry that they don't have the plastic plate at the bottom of the module. Lighthound recently had these on clearance for only $24.49 including shipping, so I bought a number since they were HAIII, had AR glass, hold protected 18650 cells, and also had other nice features like a retaining ring holding the lens and o-ring in place when you change the P60 module. The HuntLight has a reverse clicky, but the multi-mode Dereelight designed to work with a forward clicky still works fine. After the Dereelight CL1H, the Huntlight FT01XSE (LuxIII-U bin) is my second favorite host. Remember that module voltage ranges from a max of 4.2V (Dereelight) to 18V (one DX CREE), so don't use 2X16340 with the former!

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened

Sorry I wasnt clear,the version I have is the FT-01XSE xr-e cree P4 version.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Timdog - what bspofford and I are trying to say is there are no differences in the light module. They are swappable with one another and any other P60-sized module.

bspofford

Enlightened
I haven't tried very hard to upgrade the CREE X-RE model, but it didn't seem to be as cooperative as the Lux II U-bin model. Again, SE models are HAIII while the PJ models are type II, and this distinction shouldn't impact the use of P60 modules. One important point is that some P60 modules don't tolerate > 4.2V (e.g., Dereelight), so you can't use 2XCR123A with all of them. There are a lot of modules that can handle higher voltages, so be sure to get one of these if you want to use two CR123A primaries. Frankly, I prefer using protected 18650 Li-ion rechargeables because CR123A primaries are relatively expensive.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to install a BOG Q5 Drop In, in my Hunt Light FT Ist Gen.

I had to build up the solder blob on the rear of the module so I would not have to use a magnet.

I also had to use a spring to keep the module from rattling.

Review at CPF Review

BOGQ5005Small.jpg

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened
I emailed Dereelight about thier module and they said the lux huntlight could be done but not the cree version.
I emailed Huntlight and they said they had upgrades due out in a "few" weeks.
i wait and see what the near future brings.
Tim

Last edited:

bspofford

Enlightened
I tried to unthread the pill from one of my Huntlight FT01XSE CREE X-RE lights, and it didn't come easy. The pill is threaded into the neck of the body, so I think it can be done. I just didn't want to risk damaging the pill on mine because I'm not planning on upgrading it right now. Compared to the Lux III U-bin model, the body and threads seem identical.

daveman

Enlightened
I emailed Huntlight and they said they had upgrades due out in a "few" weeks.
i wait and see what the near future brings.
Tim
That's interesting to hear, I had thought Huntlight went belly up. The FT-01 is a good light, and just about the only flood CREE light on the market right now, I hope they can further develop it.