Stuck between two simalar lights. T10Q5 and NDI

jk904jk

Banned
First of all I must say thank you very much for the great beamshots and reviews. Right now I am absolutley torn between the Olight T10Q5 and the Nitecore DI. From what I have gathered out of reviews.

Nightcore pros.

1. Seems to be better overall quality. Nicer finish (diamond checkering, less slippery).

2. Claims to have quite a bit of output for a AA battery.

3. AA batterys are more readily available when you might need one in a snap.

4. Skinnyer for EDC in jeans pockets.

5. forward clicky

Nightcore cons.

1. Seems to have a finicky user interface.

2. strobe feature is "intertwined" with brightness control action.

3. Could have more potential with a cr123 lithium.

4. Less throw (from what ive observed) than Olight

Olight pros

1. more light output. with greater throw.

2. Tailstands

3. Longer runtime with better regulation

4. cheaper

Olight cons

1. seems to be of lower overall quality

2. slippery non-checkered finish.

3. A little bit thicker

4. reverse clicky.

Thats about it. For me I know that for just plain light output I sould go for the Olight. But the other factors add up against eachother. Does anyone have any suggestions besides saying "get both". I cant afford it.

thanks,
Jeff kiel

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's quite an interesting comparison as the lights aren't natural competitors. It comes down to the battery IMO. Do you want to use 123As or AAs?

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you plan to use Li-Ions, the NDI has all levels and capabilities with Li-Ions (14500) while the T10 loses all levels but high. Personally, I haven't had any problems with the UI and got the hang of it within 10 seconds (reading the comments on CPF helped). I think some of the UI issues have been due to users that aren't operating it correctly, while other issues are genuine.

The NDI compares more with the T15, in which case, it's considerably smaller.

Regarding the price, if you plan to use primaries only, 123As cost more than alkaline AAs (unless you plan to use Energizer e2s). Between the two, I would pick the NDI, but as I already did, I'm biased.

bltkmt

Enlightened
Nightcore cons.

1. Seems to have a finicky user interface.

2. strobe feature is "intertwined" with brightness control action.

As an NDI owner, I would not agree with either of those perceived cons. The UI is very simple and intuitive (especially compared to a LiteFlux!) and the strobe is really only accessed when you want/need it.

I do not own an Olight (yet), but heartily recommend the NDI.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
NDI for the forward clicky. Reverse sucks.

BillG

Newly Enlightened
the olight has been out longer....so more time for any "issues" to have been uncovered. seems to have few if any issues.

the NDI has not been out long enough to uncover issues except for those you mentioned. more MAY come out over the next few months.

i have the olight T20 Q5 and have had no issues at all.

the more prudent choice AT THIS TIME...seems to be olight.

Bill

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I-M-not so humble-O, there is no real problem with Olight quality. Again, in my opinion, it's better than Fenix. I don't understand the problem with reverse clickie since I have and deal fine with both.

As for the slippery finish - bah, I say. Unless you coat the light in grease, you'll hold onto it just fine. it's not like it's polished glass or anything. Very few makers put useful, really grippy knurling on a light anyway. Surefire is the only one that comes to mind. If you're worried about dropping it. that's what a lanyard is for.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
As earlier mentioned, it's a bit of a weird comparasion, since one is a AA-light and one is a CR123-light.

Anyway, I played around with the Nitecore for a couple of days, and can not agree with the users that says that the UI is finnicky, it was very straight forward and worked flawlessly. The only thing I noticed was that you accidently ended up in strobe if you turned the light from turbo to User Defined setting VERY slowly. But it's really not an issue, since you never turn the bezel that slowly in a normal situation.
About the brightness, it was very bright, but it lacked in throw. I wished that they had used a smooth reflector instead(allthough I have never understood the need for OP in LED-lights, creerings? Bah, who notice em unless they are white wall hunting). All in all, a great light based on the short time I handled it.

Allthough the O-lights doesnt seem to be too shabbby either. Thinks it more boils down to what kind of UI you want, reverse vs forward clicky, brightness, price etc.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it was my choice, since the two seem fairly equal overall, I would get the one that has a better rechargeable battery option. How does the Nitecore run on NiMH?

kilgor

Enlightened
If it was my choice, since the two seem fairly equal overall, I would get the one that has a better rechargeable battery option. How does the Nitecore run on NiMH?

Well regulated. It favors NiMH and 14500 Li-ions over alkalines. Alkalines do of course still work, regulation and runtime just aren't as strong.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
I have the Olight T10 Q5 and i think it is a brilliant EDC, as it has good throw and very bright still beam. It can also be used with a rechargable CR123A. As for being a little slippery, i have never noticed this problem, as the body of the tube slightly indents, with one flat panel and is ideal to fit your middle finger around for a sturdy grip. I also like the recessed switch which helps prevent against accidental activation.

It can also stand upright, like a candle and fit the Fenix tip diffuser on the bezel for an area light. Most of all, i like the high quality WC bin Q5 L.E.D used in all Olight products. The colour temperature of this is around 6,600 thereby ensuring a quality L.E.D in every flashlight. In my unit i have a slight ring which is hardly noticeable, even when white wall hunting. I too find that the quality is better than Fenix and the light has a solid feel to it.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
I have the Olight T10 Q5 and i think it is a brilliant EDC, as it has good throw and very bright still beam. It can also be used with a rechargable CR123A. As for being a little slippery, i have never noticed this problem, as the body of the tube slightly indents, with one flat panel and is ideal to fit your middle finger around for a sturdy grip. I also like the recessed switch which helps prevent against accidental activation.

It can also stand upright, like a candle and fit the Fenix tip diffuser on the bezel for an area light. Most of all, i like the high quality WC bin Q5 L.E.D used in all Olight products. The colour temperature of this is around 6,600 thereby ensuring a quality L.E.D in every flashlight. In my unit i have a slight ring which is hardly noticeable, even when white wall hunting. I too find that the quality is better than Fenix and the light has a solid feel to it.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
I have the T15 Q5 as I was impressed with my T20 Q5. I can't get a unprotected Ultrafire 14500 in it, the barrel's too tight. However, a 14500 LiFePO4 (3.2 volt) does fit and allows me 28 minutes at level 1, 120 lumen. Light gets hot, but it does have 5 distinct levels, unlike on a Nimh AA, where level 1 and 2 are too close to tell apart. I keep a Nimh handy in case I need light for a longer time. And a spare LiFePO4. I don't feel that I can justify the NDI as I'm not impressed with the price vs. Nimh brightness and runtime.

I like the build quality of the Olight and the type of beam thrown.

Edit: I might point out that the heads of the T10 and the T15 are the same, per Lightreview.com, so with the 14500 in the T15, it should put out the same amount of lumens as tested in the T10, it all depends on battery type. If Olight sold spare bodies you could interchange battery types depending on your whim at the time. Olightworld hinted in the dealers forum that spare bodies would soon be available.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nightcore cons?

1. Seems to have a finicky user interface. (It doesn't)

2. strobe feature is "intertwined" with brightness control action. (Shouldn't come on in normal operation unless you purposesly select it)

3. Could have more potential with a cr123 lithium. (Not when you can use a 14500 lithium instead)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both lights and while they are both excellent lights, they are nothing alike. If it matters any I EDC the T10 mostly because I'm worried that the DI might rip a hole in my pants pocket because the bezel is rather sharp. If you are looking for a more standard EDC pocket light the T10 is the way to go, but if you want a tactile EDC light that is a little more simple then the DI is for you. Check out the review of both lights on Light-reviews.com

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my NDI. Ive carried it since dec 24 exclusively.
Only quirk is I some times end up in strobe mode,it takes less than 1 sec to get out. A way around this was posted,Select mode 1st then turn on.
Mine has beeen reliable and love the form ,size,looks and brightness on NIMH or lion. UI is simple and it works.
I did sand the oring to make it twist easy.

One last thing ,I love the large hot spot and useable spill!

jk904jk

Banned
Nightcore cons?

1. Seems to have a finicky user interface. (It doesn't)

2. strobe feature is "intertwined" with brightness control action. (Shouldn't come on in normal operation unless you purposesly select it)

3. Could have more potential with a cr123 lithium. (Not when you can use a 14500 lithium instead)

By finicky I mean that a large number of users state that when twisting the head to change output mode...it goes into strobe mode when not intended. A few other people here say that there is a "dead" spot between fully tightened and a little loose. The dead spot turns the light off comepletley which confuses the circuit.

And WadeF...when you say "Shouldn't come on in normal operation unless you purpoouselely select it"... you are right that it shouldnt. but it does. Sometimes when it shouldnt. Lastly... I do not like using rechargables in my lights. They do not get enough use for me to justify buying them.

Quote from Fallingwater...

"I don't understand how people get confused about the NDI's interface. It feels so very, very simple to me."

Yes. the the UI is very,very simple. I am not confused about it. I just said Finicky because of the "dead spot" and others saying other modes would be activated when twisting the head.

Quote from Stereodude..."Shouldn't you be comparing the T15Q5 to the NDI?"

I do not like AA lights but the NDI seems to get more out of the AA.

If it matters anymore. I got the Olight in the mail today. I have a small review on it in the review forum.

Thankyou for the responses! I hope I cleared some stuff up.

_Jeff :p

by the way...

fin·ick·Y
adj. fin·ick·i·er, fin·ick·i·est Insisting capriciously on getting just what one wants; difficult to please; fastidious: a finicky eater.

[From finick, a finical person, from finical.]

maybe not the best word to have used. But I think Finicky means alot different than "confusing"

Last edited: