Help me spend $100 or so on a new light!

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
I need a new toy.

Already have a seoul modded Coast Hocus Focus and an L2D-CE so I want something significantly brighter.

I'd rather it ran on AA/AAA's or other normal, easy to find cells but I'm not too opposed to getting a light that runs on other types of rechargeables.

I haven't been on this site in monthes so I'm kind of out of the loop.....though I did notice Malkoff is still making those Mag drop-ins and Fenix has a new light...the T1? :)

What should I check out? :D

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmmmmmmmm a few minutes of browsing points me towards a Dereelight DBS :D

How bright is this light?

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just about to recommend either the upcoming RaidFire Spear (2008-01-20 expected release date), or the recently released DBS V2 w/ R2. Both of those lights are particularly bright for their size, over 20K Meterman metered lux. No beamshots available for the DBS V2 (Dereelight starts shipping preliminary orders 2008-01-18), but plenty for both the RaidFire Spear (current version) and DBS (aka V1).

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
So looking at their site:

http://www.dereelight.com/new.htm

Which one would I want? :naughty:

I don't understand the differences between the 15 options they have (besides the ones offereing the smo and op reflectors)

Also what is the difference between the V1 and V2?

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Also, does anyone know how the Malkoff Maglite drop-in compares to the Dereelight?

The Dereelight looks great and all but I don't currently own any of the batteries that power than light so on top of spending $110+ on the light I'm looking at spending another $30-50 on batteries and a charger as well :(

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
See Dereelight-DBS V2 Cree XR-E R2 regarding images and info about the limited V2 R2 production run. Differences of this particular model over the V1 include, but are not limited to:

1. R2 WH LED emitter
2. Removeable pocket clip
3. Black Type III anodization
4. GITD tailcap switch cover
5. Dual AR coated lens

Last edited:

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info!

Anyone else have any ideas for other lights I should look at?

Or maybe what type of batteries and charger I should look into if I decide to go with the DBS?

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Also, does anyone know how the Malkoff Maglite drop-in compares to the Dereelight?

The Dereelight looks great and all but I don't currently own any of the batteries that power than light so on top of spending $110+ on the light I'm looking at spending another $30-50 on batteries and a charger as well :(

I have both of these lights.The DBS out throws the Malkoff. The Malkoff runs off of regular alkalines, has great runtimes, and great throw. I just received my 2nd drop-in from Gene because I gave the first one away at X-Mas. Both lights are great so you can't go wrong with either.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
I like the Lumamax Lumacraft D Mini Q5.

It´s a "mini" thrower. :thumbsup:

I already have a mini thrower.

My Seoul powered coast is ridiculously bright. Especially when you realize its using 3AAA's :laughing:

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
I have both of these lights.The DBS out throws the Malkoff. The Malkoff runs off of regular alkalines, has great runtimes, and great throw. I just received my 2nd drop-in from Gene because I gave the first one away at X-Mas. Both lights are great so you can't go wrong with either.

Thanks, I was wondering about this.....!

What cells/charger do you use for the DBS? 18650's?

How long did it take to get the light from overseas?

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Btw, my Coast Hocus Focus is now in the for sale forum hoping to help me buy a DBS (or whatever I decide on)

:laughing:

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Thanks, I was wondering about this.....!

What cells/charger do you use for the DBS? 18650's?

How long did it take to get the light from overseas?

I actually made a trade for the DBS. Tiablo A9 for a brand new DBS. I am using Protected AW 18650 with the Ultrafire 139. I got the battery and charger when I purchased the A9 from a member here.