Collaborative Flashlight Specs Database (FlashlightReviews.com Withdrawls)

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys miss FlashlightReviews.com as much as I do. Man I loved that site, and I don't feel like I really got to have that much time with it.

Much of what I miss is the specs on all the lights... Overall vs. Throw, runtimes, etc. Sure you can wade through all the search results for any given light on CPF, and this is a great venue for user reviews, but it's difficult to easily compare the raw specs of different lights out there (a compulsive need for most flashaholics). And it's a shame because there are lots of really capable people here that carefully take these measurements.

Someone might have already come up with something like this, and if so I apologize. Just point me in the right direction and I'll HAPPILY aim my browser there. But I was thinking that it would be cool to have a collaborative project to put all this info in one place and share the load of doing it.

So I've quickly mocked up a Google Spreadsheet to play with this idea. Let me know what you think: (Quickbeam, if you're watching, please don't be offended that I took data from your site. I gave you credit in the "notes" field.)
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pT06BgYdKpok7VVCTjJ0NHQ

It's easy to add collaborators and easy to use; all you have to have is a free Google account.

It's not perfect; I was hoping that it would be sortable in "read only" mode. And we'd probably want to keep the number of people with edit access to people that have light meters and understand how to get QUPS readings and enjoy doing this stuff. And it definitely needs some refinement.

But it's an idea. Is it worth pursuing? I'd like to hear from some people that would want to contribute (that meet the qualifications mentioned above) before I start putting a lot of work into this.

So let me know what you think.

-GZ

Marlite

Enlightened
Hi Guy

I would frequent such a site for comparisons and quick information. For sure you will find some young guns who would be interested.

marlite

toolpig1

Enlightened
Flashlightreviews.com was the best format that I have seen. I especially miss the runtime graph that clearly illustrated the power regulation of the light in test. I blame this site for my current flashlight habit. Before my first look at this site, I thought a Maglite was the best you could do. Best of luck to all you testers, you have very big shoes to fill.

Latest posts