So you wanna Fenix Beam Shaper?

gunga

Flashaholic
Hey all,

I just wanted to share some cool tricks for a Fenix beam diffuser, similar to the Surefire F04 Beam shaper (which, BTW, is awesome).

Take a Fenix red filter, pop out the (glass?) lense carefully. Now replace that lense with your favorite diffuser material (I use the 10 layer material from banned member, he who shall not be named), and voila, Fenix beam shaper.

Works amazingly well at providing the smooth flood with minimal hotspot, similar to the Surefire unit at about 1/2 the cost.

I've been told certain parts of CD jewel cases, the frosted clear ones, are also very good. I use this material because it's easy to cut with scissors. A nickel makes a good template.

Here's the material I use.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169191&page=5

Enjoy. Makes my Fenixes awesome for close range use and is easy to change for throw.

Last edited:

Valolammas

Enlightened
That's a really good idea! Now I'll have to go look at that Fenix filter. I don't have one, because I didn't want a red filter, but if it's that easy to modify...

Incidentally, just a week ago I was throwing out last year's wall calendar and noticed that it had a front cover made of clear, but heavily sputtered plastic. I made diffuser for my MagLED out of it, works great. I love diffusers!

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
...your favorite diffuser material (I use the 10 layer material from...

And nobody knows what this stuff really is, or where it comes from? Or where the rest of us poor slobs can put out hands on a few square inches?

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can email and buy from him(Fastcar), he really nice to deal with.
I like the 5 layer one.

And nobody knows what this stuff really is, or where it comes from? Or where the rest of us poor slobs can put out hands on a few square inches?

gunga

Flashaholic
Note when doing this, you may want to cut off the 3 plastic tabs inside the collar that hold the red lense in place. Just remember this because any lense or diffuser material will drop out once you remove it from the light.

I did not and when I pressed the filter on my light all the way, it cracked the plastic. This will not happen normally when the red lense is in place.

:ohgeez:

GregWormald

Enlightened
You can also just cut a circle of diffuser material and include 3 little tabs. The diffuser will then 'click' onto the light directly with the tabs resting in the recess above the 'lens' that holds the O-ring. Cut the diffuser main area a tiny bit small, so it doesn't cover the whole 'lens' but only the part above the reflector, and you can pop it in and out with a fingernail.
Nearly all my lights have this mod now.
Greg

gunga

Flashaholic
Tis true. I mostly wanted to try and adapt the Fenix red filter because I really like my minmag anti-roll collar. I find it makes it a lot easier to turn the bezel as needed, protects the bezel, and holds filters/diffusers.

Of course the fenix one is designed around a rather thick red filter. If you use it stock, it cuts off a fair amount of the edge spill. I didn't want that so pressed it in all the way (of course, I slightly cracked it because I left the 3 tabs in initially, still works tho).

I wish the filter was rubber like the Surefire/Maglite ones. It's a decent plastic material but not as nice as rubber!

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Great ideas. I've been wanting a diffuser and have been frustrated that Fenix does not make one in this style. Maybe they will read this thread and give us what we want?

Next order from Fenix-Store will include several of these red ones, but it would be nice to buy a factory diffuser lens instead of having to modify one.

Last edited:

Yapo

Enlightened
I wonder why fenix made the diffusing tip instead of a diffusing lens...i reckon the diffuser tip looks glarey to look at although it does spread out the light into more of a lamp.

Yeah i have a Surefire F04 and it seems perfect apart from being too big...

Tomcat!

Enlightened
I wonder why fenix made the diffusing tip instead of a diffusing lens...i reckon the diffuser tip looks glarey to look at although it does spread out the light into more of a lamp.

Yeah i have a Surefire F04 and it seems perfect apart from being too big...

I was given the diffuser tip and think it should really be regarded as a signalling wand rather than a diffuser. The glare makes it useless unless you hold it above your head like a medieval torch. (In that mode it's pretty good!) Totally agree that an F04 style diffuser would be far more practical.

Last edited:

yekim

Enlightened
On the L2T sized lights the cap from a water bottle fits perfectly. It will work on an l2d with some effort as the heads on them are a little larger. Some water bottles have fairly translucent caps. Maybe trim it up with a pair of scissors or a utility knife and you have something you can carry unobtrusively.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
If any of you have streched your MiniMag filter holder onto a Fenix and find it doesn't hold on the MiniMag any more, you can boil the holder in water for a few minutes and let it cool. The material reverts back to form enough to grip the MiniMag well again.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering how phallic the Fenix diffuser is, I'm going with "sick sense of humor" as my answer to that question.

it was a great topic of conversation among the gals at a bbq i went to.... but all laughter at it stopped when it became the only nearby source of light later that night...and some idiots were telling ghost stories...

sometimes they still ask if i brought the Dil......

n597062597_664836_3274.jpg

:D

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Patiently waiting on a response from 4-Sevens on this one. . . . .

I'll pre-order 3 of these. . . .

erik2929

Newly Enlightened
but all laughter at it stopped when it became the only nearby source of light later that night...and some idiots were telling ghost stories...

sometimes they still ask if i brought the Dil......

n597062597_664836_3274.jpg

Crenshaw

Is it just me or is there another source of light in the background? :ohgeez:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look up "lee filters" on the Internet they have FREE filter packs. once received you can make filters for ANY flashlight which shift color as well as diffuse color correct all kinds of things and it is free. There is another company called "Roscoe" that also has free filter packs.
Trust me when you get these packs you will have so much fun with them it is crazy.
Yaesumofo