Help me decide which flashlight to buy please....

M

maximrealm

Im looking for an overall good, BRIGHT, small flashlight. I will use it for paramedic/EMT work. I will not be using it for medical purposes, but just for overall navigation in dark places. I am interested in either the Scorpion, or the pelican M6. Which is a better, brighter flashlight? It seems that the M6 at 20,000 cp is much brighter than the scorpion...is that the case?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the pelican M6 will last you longer, since its constructed of aluminium with no rubber sleeve to wear out. its also very water resistant, as verified by members here who have tested it. it comes with a holster, so carrying it during duty shouldn't be a problem. at that price you can't really go wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they have the same batteries and same runtime on a set of batteries, they're going to be about the same brightness.

I prefer the clickie switch on the Scorpion to the "push for momentary, twist for constant on" switches.

I think it would be a looooooong time before you would wear out the rubber sleeve on the Scorpion. Especially if you carry it in the belt sheath designed for it, but that is an added expense.

For that matter, you may want to look into the G2 - one of the dealers is offering a special price to CPF members if you don't mind an Olive Drab colored light.

Here it is

I don't think you'll go too wrong with any of them.

OH! And where is everyone's manners??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Welcome aboard, "Max"!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I suggest you get the SureFire E2o Outdoorsman for long runtime. The Clip on the E2o can be used to clip to a cap bill for "hands free" light. It's tough resistant Hard Anodising will be easy to clean and remain secure to grip with "dirty" hands.

With the current KL1 or the yet to be released KL4 Luxeon Bezel options, you'll get a better colour definition output.

A clickie TailCap switch is in the works if you want that option.

The E2o is securely able to lock out for transport and storage and if small and light enough to carry on you all the time without the need for a pouch.

Al

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al makes a good point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif The E series of Surefire lights may be an option as well. They are smaller but significantly more expensive than the lights you are presently looking at purchasing, hence why I did not mention them. If space/size is a premium, they may be an option. I carry an E2 with a custom made clickie switch in my jacket pocket. If you have a small frame you may find them to be uncomfortable for pants pocket carry.

Good luck on your search for the light that best suits your needs!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i guess the G2 and E series are candidates too....again it'd be best if you could handle them and decide for yourself. the streamlight scorpion is both hated and loved. some like it for its cheap price and good value, others hate it for a plethora of individual reasons e.g. the rubber sleeve, lack of water resistance, etc.

as for the switch (clickie vs momentary on) you have to make a compromise between convenience and durability. the surefire or pelican M6 style switches aren't going to wear out easily, but you might find the scorpion switch more practical.

too bad the pelican M6 hasn't been released long, so we don't know the actual lamp life though the manufacturer states it to be much longer than either the surefire or scorpion lamps. if the lamps live up to the manufactur's claims, then i think we have a clear winner (PM6). according to posts here by other members, the scorpion lamp does die very fast similar to the mini maglite lamps.

personally i would go with the PM6; the value is pretty much unmatched by any other light on the market since it comes with a holster, is very water resistant, and (supposedly) has a long lamp life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif