tough, small light similar to an Arc, but better?

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love the Arc's reliability, toughness, bombproofness etc and size. but im looking for something a bit brighter, with long runtimes, yet is still small (under 3" x 0.8"). recommendations?

right now its my new alum nautilus, but im wondering how rugged it really is. also getting a novatac 120p, but thats a bit too big for my EDC. getting a zebralight h50 as well but prob for my bag and not EDC on my person.

:thinking:

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
www.peakledsolutions.com would be the most like the Arc but available with a wider range of emitters, output level and runtime. These aren't multi-level lights though, you'd make your choice when you purchase one. Their website will get you started, but it's universally disliked and limited in showing what they have available. Talking with them directly about your needs works for most people looking for something very specific.
I have two Peak Matterhorns, a single LED and a triple LED. Love them both.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
The JetBeam Jet-u showed a lot of promise...too bad. R.I.P. :mecry:

I'm sure that Peak Solutions could do a plethora of things for you if you have the funds. Interestingly they appear to have a 20% off coupon on their front page.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, ill check out Peak's stuff

i have a Fenix L0D CE Q4, but dont feel that its that tough or rugged. the aluminum is kinda soft...

really would love to hear how the nautilus holds up under heavy usage...

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam-u has an embarrassing runtime in "sun mode", i have a ziploc baggie worth of AAAs that powered my Jbu, and im now using them to power my arc...:whistle:

But man is the jetbeam-u a nice light, its finish is really nice, and it is VERY bright, brighter than the LOD-p4 if memory serves. But of course, it would be trumped by the new LODQ5

Crenshaw

gunga

Flashaholic
The peak site iw quite the mess. Can someone just give me a quick overview?

Something comparable to an arc?

- AAA
- Stainless or HA aluminum.
- good runtime
- keyring tail possible.

Also, I'm unsure of how the cp measurements compare to the arc DS 9 lumens etc.

Any info would be great as I don't enjoy navigating that site!

LightBeing

Newly Enlightened
Peakledsolutions.com site works fine for me. I use Opera for a browser. I believe you need a current version of Flash installed. I do wish they'd go with the better standard of Lumens in advertising instead of cp.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Peakledsolutions.com site works fine for me. I use Opera for a browser. I believe you need a current version of Flash installed. I do wish they'd go with the better standard of Lumens in advertising instead of cp.

The website "works", but it's not well designed, and it's very difficult to browse their product line.

gunga

Flashaholic
Yes, I agree! It works, I am just not sure whcih to pick out.

So hence the request for an informed person as to whcih light would be an appropriate arc substitute.

Stainless seems interesting, tho I wonder if it's too heavy?

arty

Enlightened
I have a stainless Matterhorn 3LED. It weighs about 1 1/8 oz or so with the lug or pocket body.
This is not too heavy. The ultra power version is brighter than you would expect - mine puts out about 120 lux - more throw than an ARC-P CS. I don't have the DS ARC.
The high power versions are not going to be much brighter than the ARC.

rtt

Enlightened
I would suggest that you just phone Peak. They have so much to offer that is NOT on their web site. They have some special run of stainless light bodies that take AAA and other smaller rechargable batteries.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to paulr I've been considering this little jewel:

http://www.flashlightz.com/product.php/peak/bsbsupk/?product=171667&category=

Personally, I prefer the brass model. I think it's a bit more stylish and probably helps dissipate heat better, but this site also offers the stainless steel version which may be more to your liking.

However, I agree with rtt that your best bet would be to call the folks at Peak, as they are well known for helping folks find exactly the right model, and then selecting the correct drive level (which will of course directly affect brightness/runtime).

Happy hunting.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish Peak would come up with a spreadsheet/chart or some sort of generator that lets you "build" up a light.

greenLED

Flashaholic
i love the Arc's reliability, toughness, bombproofness etc and size. but im looking for something a bit brighter, with long runtimes, yet is still small (under 3" x 0.8"). recommendations?
IMO, it's really hard to match the qualities of Arc lights. You don't mention battery type, but since you do mention the Nautilus and the HDS, I assume you're after a 123 light?

If that's the case - I'd try the Fenix P2D. The "D" interface is such that you can use it on turbo or "low" exclusively and completely ignore the extra modes.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I wouldn't mind seeing an upgraded Fenix E0. Use the Nichia DS, but keep the output where it is for, I assume, even greater runtime. It would also be less blue.

Geoff