Surefire A2 mod

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys. So I have this cool Black A2. Recently I installed a five Mega strion globe mod. I used to think the incan side of the A2 rocked. Now I am blown away. Now the only complaint I have with the A2 are the 3 crappy purplish "white" leds. Maybe My light is unique and the Leds are better on everyone else's... Some how I doubt it.
So with this in mind and the fact that efforts to commercialize a mod to the A2's LED ring have failed I guess it is time to ask you guys who have modded your A2's emitters, what you did? where you got your emitters? what kind of emitters you got?
I was not able to find much which is not linked to the Atomic chicken Program which is now defunct for the most part.

So Did any of you mod the white emitters on your A2's
What did you throw into the A2?
Is there a "special" led which is nice and white and is a good replacement for the stock emitters?
Please post here your experience and let us know.
Yaesumofo

tussery

Enlightened
Here is all the information I have found I don't know what kind of LED's the A2 uses but here are all the specs of how the ones in it are driven.

3LEDs run in parallel
6V input
3.5V at the LED driven at 68mA
33 Ohm resistor

I don't know what kind of LED's are in the A2 but 68mA current is really pushing a 5mm LED.

Krit

Enlightened
I used to mod A2 by change led to new brighter led. I founded that Nichia Led give more nice tint than uncut MJ led. You can use the stock resistor.

Hi, leukos. A lot of information on A2. Thanks for a link.

cnjl3

Enlightened
I also was not too impressed with my stock A2 "white" LEDs. I initially had Milkyspit change my original SureFire white LEDs to some "snowwhite" LEDs and once again i thought it still had too much purple to be called a white LED. Milkspit offered to change them to some "TCH3" LEDs. I am happier with the TCH3 LEDs as they lean more towards the incandescent side of white walling.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yaesu, check out my review of A2 LED colors. There's a white LED mod for pretty much every taste (SMJLED, snow, THC3's, etc.). Milky has done a fair amount of these, but you have enough modding experience that it should be a breeze to do it yourself.

The THC3's have a slight yellowish tint (warmer?) to them. However, they do not add the peculiar colored aura that other "white" LED's add to the A2's incan beam. I'm not sure how well the tint of the THC3 would match the Strion's bulb, but it might be worth a shot. The THC3's also have the advantage of being rated for 80mA drive, IIRC, so they're "safe" if you ever decide to use R123's in your A2.

Latest posts