Dereelight CL1H V3 and Malkoff M60

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I had my kids over to their grandparents tonight for dinner. So as I was sitting around I pulled out my Dereelight CL1H V3 from my jacket, and my Surefire G2 w/ Malkoff M60 Q5. I have been meaning to test the M60 in the CL1H. It works just fine. You don't need to put a spring around it, like you do in a SF G2. Just put the bare module into the CL1H and you're good to go. I was running it off a 18650, but I could have put two R123's in as well.

Now here is when I did something really dumb, and I hope one of these days I'll never make a mistake like this again. :) My SF G2 is loaded with two AW R123's for the Malkoff M60. After seeing the M60 worked in the Dereelight, I thought I would try the Dereelight module in the SF G2. Anyone see where this is going? :)

So I fired it up, worked just fine, then, nothing! Then it hit me, I just put a 3-stage Digital pill which is rated for 4.2V 18650's max, into a light with 8v of power! :sick2:

This would make the 2nd Dereelight pill I've fried, accidentally put a battery in backwards with a 2SM pill, thinking the pill was a digital pill.

Well, I was bummed, but I have some of the new R2 pills on the way, so I wasn't that upset. I returned the Dereelight module back to the CL1H, the M60 back in the SF G2. Tried to fire up the CL1H, nothing but a faintly glowing Cree. :(

Then I got home and decided I'd go through my growing collection of Dereelight pills and see what I could swap the bad pill out with. That's when it happened, it started working again! The protection circuit must have kicked in, and took a little time to reset!

So thanks to Dereelight for putting that protection circuit in there, I heard the Digital pills had a better protection circuit than the 2SM pills, which I found out really fry in a hurry. :) The digital pills may fry to if you keep power going to them, but I fortunately shut the light off as soon as I realized what was going on.

Anyway, add the Dereelight CL1H V3 as another possible host for the Malkoff M60, which is a great drop in! :)

marc123

Newly Enlightened
Hi Wade,

how did the M60 compare to the Dereelight pill when both being used in the CL1H?

Regards.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same question as above. I have a number of Dereelight Q5, Wolf-Eyes Q5 and a BOG Q5, and out of all of those, I favor the Dereelight 1S. I may have gotten lucky with this particular 1S because it blows every other module away in both throw and ceiling bounce tests. Even a number of 9V lamps off 2x17500 and 2x18650. It really is an overall output monster, even with an OP and runs regulated off of 1x17670 to boot.

Last edited:

marc123

Newly Enlightened
That is good news Adamlau, I have a 1S that I am expecting to arrive tomorrow!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60 performs the same in the CL1H as it would it a SF G2, etc. With the reflector based Dereelight module you have a defined area of spill, you can see where the spill starts and ends. With the M60 the spill continues to flood out past where the Dereelight module's spill ends.

The Malkoff just has a nice floody beam with an intense hot spot.

My CL1H with a smooth reflector and a Q5 pill will out throw the Malkoff as the hot spot is even more intense.

The Malkoff M60 is a great combination of flood and throw.

marc123

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Wade. All things considered I think the Dereelight pill will continue to serve my purposes.

Cheers.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's too bad that M60 doesn't support 18650:-(

Alan

What makes you say that?

The input voltage is 3.8 - 9 volts. Below 3.8 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive.

It worked in my CL1H V3 with a 18650. May not be optimized for a 18650, but it will still work.