Scientists create darkest material ever...

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be superb for use inside camera lenses. If the internals of lenses (also telescopes binoculars etc) were coated in this material, this would improve contrast and reduce lens flare. I can't imagine it will be cheap though.

It might also be useful for tactical flashlights. A surrounding lens hood on the bezel of the flashlight could be used to reduce sidespill if you needed light but didn't want to give away your position. This material would almost eliminate scatter from the lens hood.

Chuck289

Enlightened
So is this close to what you would call a "black body"? Which is how color temperature is determined? Or am I waaay off....I need to read up pn that

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
two jokes/wisecracks come to mind...

1. So THATS what batman's suit is made of...

2. Now they just need to invent super reflectors and super clear glass...

Crenshaw

a4d

Enlightened
That nano carbon stuff is AMAZING. I've seen a bunch of programs about this stuff it's really just awesome how strong this stuff is. Nano Carbons are 100x stronger than steel and 1/6 the weight. Virtually indestructible. If if i remember they can almost fix them selves if damaged, i think if it's bent or dented if you apply heat it'll pop back out.

It was on future cars on discoverey channell also, saying that it can change colors, how i don't know. They said in the winter when you want a black car to retain heat the car will turn black with the push of a button. In the summer when you want a white car another push of a button and it'll turn white. Sorry for all of tha babbling i just think this stuff is amazing and can do so many things in the future to help asve people. epecially in automobiles.

Nasa is also putting funding back into there space elevator project because the tech. of nano carbons is rapidly increasing.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
two jokes/wisecracks come to mind...

2. Now they just need to invent super reflectors and super clear glass...

Crenshaw

I got one word for you "Fiber Optics". Um, err, OK two words, but you know what I mean...

You can send light 40-60 miles through the glass before it needs to be amplified, and the fiber cladding it pretty close to the perfect mirror (as the light follows the bends in the cable). Not bad at all...

-Bill