Electric Razor suggestions? I Need a new one...

AllenInHouston

Newly Enlightened
I am in need of some shopping advice, so I thought I'd ask for suggestions here. I'm looking to get a new electric razor, but I have no idea of what to get. The one I have is a hand-me-down, and it needs to retire. I only have a few requirements:
1. Have to be able to clean with water (wet shaving isn't needed).
2. Have to have a battery meter of some sort - NOT a solo "charge me" LED - multiple LEDs is fine.
3. Preferably not more than $125, but I am flexible with this if it's really good.
4. Close shave without irritation (skin not sensitive, so probably a non-issue).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Allen

Eric_M

Enlightened
From what I've heard the new high RPM Panasonics are the way to go.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a GOOD thread, because I TOO am in the market for a new electric razor. The one I have is the original Remington Microscreen. That new Panasonic sounds intriguing!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Electric Razor suggestions? I Need a new one.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joel

Newly Enlightened

I've tried them all but keep going back to the Panasonic Linear Wet/Dry models. The only drawback is that the screen and blades should be replaced about every six months (my personal timetable not Panasonic, they recommend every year or so)

Saaby

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Orion said:
This is a GOOD thread, because I TOO am in the market for a new electric razor. The one I have is the original Remington Microscreen. That new Panasonic sounds intriguing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

What about the fancy shmancy new Braun one that has the LCD screen on the raisor and cleans every time you charge?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a remington "microflex" with the 3 circular heads, and I would not recommend it. It charges nicely and has a good LCD display with the time remaining, but it just doesn't do a good job. I either get a lousy shave or a very red neck... (No, I don't usually have a redneck) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You can wash it out, but you can't just shake it under the water the way they show on TV. You have to do a very good job of cleaning and drying it or it develops a disagreeable scent of old wet hair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I used to have a microscreen type razor that I liked much more, when this one finally dies I'm planning on one of those panasonics also.

GeoffChan

Enlightened

I got myself one of these. Its a Braun Syncro, really nice shaver. Don't have to clean it that often.

7680.ImageJPG.294.431.80.jpg

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Check this page out.

http://iavbbs.com/gflinn/

I think so much depends on your beard. I find none of them do my neck well but a rotary works much better for me on the rest of my face then a foil shaver. I've tried the latest brands from Norelco and Braun and it still holds true. Other's will say the opposite.

Albany Tom

Enlightened

Hmm...I've been using a Norelco for years. My latest one, which I keep in the car, has a countdown type LCD charge indicator, and that goes "beep beep beep" when it gets low. It's still good for a couple of shaves at that point. I always run it down until it starts beeping, then charge it all the way up and disconnect it. It's about 5 years old, still on the same blades and I only have to charge every couple of weeks.

I clean the shavings out with a brush, and then a can of spray air at each charge. Less messy than water, and I don't have to worry about dropping the blades in the sink.

Empath

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shave, Saaby? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heh, when I was your age I'd get asked that. I'd tell they, "yeah, I've been shaving for two years......... and cut myself both times". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

We had a strange sense of humor way back then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gee Empath, you beat me to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, back on topic. After many years of being a razor guy, I scored a Norelco and tried it for a month. I have since grown tired of the left over stubble, the raw neck and the smell of the shaver. To make a long story short...I've gone back to the blade. Oh well, nothing ventured...nothing gained.

Dan

Saaby

Flashaholic

About twice a week and only because I hate peach fuzz...

The only thing I hate worse than peach fuzz is high school students with peach fuzz that think it's the real thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif looks terrible

AllenInHouston

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I think I'm drifting toward one of the Norelco 7800 series. The 7885XL can be had on ebay for around $80 after shipping.

I read something on another board about the blade in the foil shavers possibly coming out of the screen - not something I want to experience.

Allen

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dislike rotary shavers. My sensitive face has best luck with better microscreen shavers. Brauns have been good and about a year ago I bought the latest Remington high speed version (don't know the model name, sorry) and have been very happy with it. The charge indicator is only a flashing red LED and you can't rinse it with water, but it gives a good, fast shave and seems to have a smart charger built-in. I don't think I would need or want any more of a battery indicator than it has, given the way I use it, but to each his own. Good luck.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Allen,

I think you will be happy with the Norelco. I have gone through 2 of them and my current one (Spectra 8845 XL) is just as good.

I find that after 4 or 5 years, the battery is unable to hold much of a charge. It is almost as much to have the battery replaced as it is to get a new one. My old ones still work, but are only good for 4-5 shaves before running out of juice. They will still work with the cord, but I decided to replace them and see what the new models are like.

Tom

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I had a triple head Norelco for double digits in years...finally went to a foil model. I really liked it, but the foil kept tearing, consequently it would actually cut my face. And the foils, as a "consumable", added up in dollars.

Went back to the ole' Norelco triplehead, I've got the 5842XL cord/cordless (that way if I'm traveling and the charge "goes" I can still shave). I'm very pleased with it. It has multiple LEDs for the charge indicator, but I do wish I could clean it with water. I like that idea.

As stated in an above post, alot of it has to do with your own individual skin and beard. One product that I really think helps render a smooth electric shave is "Remmington's Face Saver". It's a small "talcum/paraffin" stick that you rub on your skin prior to shaving...lubes the skin and allows the razor to cut better...

Latest posts